Bin raid olympics

Comments

• edited 5:19AM
    There are still far too many of them on the Hornsey road, so please look that way.
    @Toddlesocks Misscara is very keen to have a craft shop and do workshops too, and I make all kinds of large and small lovely things - mostly for window displays for Hamleys, Disney, Liberty etc. Several other members of this forum are skilled craftsmen and women so there might be an opportunity for some sort of collective to pool resources and skills. We even have a glassblower in our midst. That's a skill I'd love to learn.
    I am always a bit scared to take the books because my Grandma taught me that paper can carry diseases. I may have been missing out unnecessarily.
    @ Mirandola,I went along Hornsey Rd the other day and was amazed at the amount of empty shops, very depressing.

@ miss annie, Yes it would be GREAT if we could get an arts/crafts pool together, the amount of creative talent in the area it would be a real pity not to, i guess we have all been to busy making to get it together so far ( my excuse anyway :0) lol!
    Paper can carry diseases to some extent, but even eg the Plague can now be treated with antibiotics, and anything that can't would probably require eating the book to transmit...

I've just had a lot of books, but friends have had furniture, shoes and in one case a scanner.
    I once got a dead Badger from a garden, but looking back I doubt if it was left there to be taken.
    Another sad reminder of just how wasteful some householders can be with food.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IanIan
    edited 5:19AM
    I'm going to put a queen size pine bed frame out tomorrow - if anyone wants it (for free) whisper me and I'll hold back.
    On Tollington Park last night someone had left about 15 pairs of shoes in their front yard - but also an honesty box for donations. Which puzzled me because the box wasn't secured so someone could easily just have nicked the donations (and the shoes, for that matter). But having grabbed two pairs I did put a small donation in, because I wanted to believe in human trustworthiness.
    @Toddlesocks did you see the <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/2793/crafty-pint-workshops">Crafty Pint thread</a>?
    You should suggest a workshop for that. Can you think of something that would work in the Stapleton on a Saturday afternoon? They don't mind it getting a bit messy if we protect the floor and tables and clear up afterwards.

@Misscara yes count me in for a craft stall if that comes together. I've got events on all through the summer, but there are some gaps.

We were thinking of doing a yard sale sometime this summer - the 5 flats in my building all selling stuff on the drive. Might come as a shock to the folk who've been carrying off our junk from the drive for free for decades, but times are tough eh?

People leave shoes on our path sometimes. There's a kind of plinth by the pavement, not unlike the 4th plinth of Trafalgar Square. Someone dumped some patent stiletto pixie boots on the path last year, gone within 15 minutes once I'd lifted them to status of art on the plinth.

Worst thing I've put out was a rubbish but huge homemade cork pin board. It was rained on for 12 hours, then someone dragged it away. Nothing has ever been shunned.
    I teach cardmaking classes, and would definitely be up for some sort of craft collective.

I was running classes at Hornsey Vale Community Centre, but found it a bit pricey for the tiny room I had, and it wasn't quite the relaxed atmosphere I'd hoped for as there were often noisy birthday parties for 4 year olds going on in the next room, and we were often joined by said 4 year olds as they burst into the room looking for the loo.

So, I'd be welcome to suggestions if anyone has ideas of where I could hold Saturday classes in the area.
    Not too many golfers in the Stroud Green area. A perfectly good McGregor golf bag lasted 18 hours before finally making its way to a new home. It could even have been used as an umbrella stand or perhaps an alternative hanging basket......but business was slow!
    Left some books out on the garden wall yesterday after having a clear-out. India Knight novel gone in seconds, as was Malcolm Gladwell and HTML for Dummies. Peter Mandelson biog languished for 3 hours, and poor old DH Lawrence sat there overnight.
    We left a karaoke machine outside on the weekend, snapped up pretty quick. If anyone finds their neighbours belting out Boyzone hits into the early hours, you have me to thank.
    Found a very old and a bit tatty poloroid camera (Poloroid Landcamera 103) on OUR front wall in Moray Road yesterday - nothing like the stuff coming to you. Saying that I am often putting things out on the front garden wall and it is great fun seeing how long things last.
    There is a terrible smell in Lorne Road again tonight. we thought it was tipped rubbish but suspect it is a sewage pipe. It is horrible and makes it hard to sleep with open windows. The council seem uninterested . It could be a dead body for all they care !
  • AliAli
    is a sewage pipe not the responsibility of Thames Water , they certinly charge you for it
  • AliAli
    I also noticed a sewage sort of smell just outside the WLM last Friday evening. I did see what I thought was a drains block bursting team outside early in the morning so was wondering if they are having problems with their drains ?
    There was a lady this morning on Florence Road in her dressing gown. she'd prized open the drain on the pavement outside her house and was staring at the hole in dismay. I wonder whether this is connected.
    I'm going to leave something on the front wall right now; just so that we can get back on track people.
  • edited August 2011
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2011
    There was a cross-trainer last night. Seemed to work ok.
  • Misscara is there a working freezer available at all? I could get a lift from our builders tomorrow and collect it.
    Save the cupboard for me! if anyone sees a small desk or table out on the street let me know, I looking for something to do my sewing on.