Hallowe'en

edited October 2010 in Local discussion
Hallowe'en is my second favourite seasonal event of the year and I'm keen to do something locally. I see that the Dairy are hosting a Hallowe'en party on the day and then a 'Horror Quiz' on the Sunday. I know not whether this is a quiz about horror films or about horrible things in general. Anyone seen advance notice of other events?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 3:05PM
    oooh. I love Halloween. Only time when fancy dress is acceptable.
    Not the only occasion when fancy dress is acceptable, but it's certainly the easiest one to get other people to join with.
  • Drums of Death are playing the Silver Bullet I think. Día de los Muertos make up for the win!
    No, definitely the only one when it's acceptable.
  • Dress up day at Bestival is always a real laugh - 30,000 people dressed as cowboys and indians or pirates and mermaids. Perfectly acceptable.
    Quite right benny, I can think of several others too.
    I too am a big fan of Halloween and am about to put up my Halloween decorations (indoors only). According to their Twitter, N19 are planning something on the Saturday night. I am keen to find something for the Sunday though.
    @JaneDoe If you need more decorations they have a huge range of Hallowe'en stuff in the 99p shop on Seven Sisters Rd. I have some very lifelike (although sadly not taxidermy) crows that perch on lovely black twigs to go above my front door and I'll be carving pumpkins for the doorstep too.
    @miss annie Thank you. For years I have struggled to get them in the UK and have usually bought them from America but the last couple of years I have noticed a much wider range of Halloween things becoming available here. I would love to see people decorating their homes here the way they do in the US. Some of them are amazing!
    Halloween has just become an opportunity for ASBO teens to come knocking for some protection money.
    I'm with Tallboy, its just an American import, Christmas without the Santa. Even so I would be intrigued to see Misscara's costume.
    It's clearly not an American import, given it dates back to Celtic prehistory. Some of the trappings are, sure - in particular the unwelcome tendency to dress up as anything, as opposed to specifically something vaguely spooky.
  • edited October 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Why don't we put SG on the map by starting a Campaign for Real Hallowe'en? We could start with the spelling, have I got it right?
    Hallowe'en is the correct English spelling, the Americans have dropped the apostrophe.
    Increasingly so have a lot of Brits, without apostrophe is house style for several of my clients. None of them have it on 'phone, either. Disgraceful.
    I like apostrophes too, but not, I think, for phone. " 'Phone" suggests that "TELEphone" is still with us linguistically, just as " 'plane" would imply "AIRplane", or even "AEROplane" - but ADGS was probably being ironic.
  • edited October 2010
    No, I always use the apostrophe on 'phone. And indeed on 'plane, in so far as I ever have cause to use that word, which is less often. Though I had reluctantly to admit that it just looked silly on bus.

And re: the implication that 'telephone' is somehow no longer with us - one of the best and biggest hits of the year was Lady Gaga's 'Telephone'!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    As an American, who's lived in London for almost 10 years, it's makes me happy that Halloween is getting more popular here. When I first moved over here, nothing. In the last 5-6 years, every year it's getting bigger and bigger! Yeah!
  • edited December 2012
    double post.
    This is the first year since I moved here that I'll be at home. Going to see how it pans out with some sweets for now, if it goes well might add a decoration or two. Glad no one had any horror stories, should be good.
    I hate Hallowe'en - the veiled menace and extortion doesn't do it for me.
    I generally lock myself in the back kitchen, turn all the lights out and pretend I'm not home. Saves a lot of pain.
    It's Hallowe'en! You should be out or, if at home, dressed more spookily than the trick-or-treaters anyway!
    Please can you tell me how I can dress in a Hallowe'en fancy dress costume without looking like a twat? My idea of hell would be to be in the Faltering Fullback with 500 people all dressed as Dracula shouting their heads off. I would be prepared to go to the Stapleton (or the 'Nobel') wearing a fake pair of vampire teeth, but only if there someone else I know at the bar doing the same.
    I won a fancy dress hallowe'en competition as Alex from A Clockork Orange once. I was also trying to avoid looking like a twat. I'm not sure I achieved that, but at least I won, I guess.
    I would advise a traditional Edwardian inspired look with the addition of fangs. Something like the outfits in that godawful 'Interview with a Vampire' film. Or you could go the way of Spike in Buffy with the long coat for a more modern vibe. I'm pleased to see any kind of fancy dress at Hallowe'en though - doesn't have to be a supernatural theme.
    KRS. Go as Timothy Claypole from Rentaghost. Not your typical Halloween costume, but there's something quite sinister about a jester with a beard.