N19 October Ales & Cheese Festival

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 7:34PM
    Excellent intelligence Misscara! (*Licks lips anticipatedly*)
    I've never actually tried ale and am nervous about venturing into the unknown, but I really do love cheese so might be tempted to go this.
    You’ve never tried ale? Weirdo.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Arkady I know! @Misscara That sounds splendid, might be brave and have a sip of ale - they say you should try everything at least once.
    Alas I'll be in Belgium for a beer festival* there. Actually that soundd much better. *originally spoonerised as 'beef restival', which sounds a little like the soporific hour following a good Sunday roast.
    I'm officially adopting that as a regular turn of phrase.
    Definitely up for this. However, are you definitely doing the Friday, or can I talk you into a different day in the 18th to 24th range?
    I could be persuaded into the Tuesday or Thursday as long as there is definitely cheese.
    tuesday it is
    Splendid!
  • All over this..

Hooray for good beer. I don't mind Timothy Taylor's Landlord, but it's a bit sad that it's usually that or Pride as the only choice away from your fizzies.

Used to live in Oxford so it is quite a culture shock, beer wise, moving here...

Oh and Cheese FTMFW
    Now that we've established that I am a weirdo who has never tried ale, could someone please tell me if they think I might like it based on the fact that I don't like beer or lager. Never tried Guinness either.... I know, I know!
  • Miss Annie,

You may struggle at first, but the good thing is that you whill have a lot of choice so you should find something you like.

What do you drink?

Red or White?
    Single malt or Blend
    Tea or Coffee?
  • edited October 2010
    Red - not all that fussy what kind. Whisky - gets me drunk very quickly. No idea what kind. Tea - very strong, builders tea.
    I could make the Tuesday actually. I’m in. Miss Annie, Based upon your tastes you might well be more interested in the stout-porter end of the spectrum, which makes it a little tougher as those ales tend to be more acquired tastes and there are fewer of them than at the bitter/golden ale/IPA end. But I think it will be entertaining watching you sample them. Especially if you drink them as fast as you neck a glass of rouge.
  • AliAli
    edited 7:34PM
    It is a bit like getting into Olives. The first 7 of not nice but the 8th is heaven and your on your way. Try that with the beer and you will be okay (or won’t notice anyway)!
  • Maybe a medium strong tasting ale would where you end up then.

Young's do some great inbetweeny Ales, and Black sheep is always have a good medium brew.

Always a good tester is to go light with an IPA or Sweet one like Waggledance or similar, if that is ok then start to work your way up and see how strong you get.

On the way you can discover whether you like more hoppy or malty brews, or brews with just a hint of either, and maybe more of a fruity feel. It is all, of course, based on taste and opinion.

Really it can depend what mood you are in, and you may just want something lighter yet tasty, like a white horse, or something strong and striking - Jennings do a fair few of these.

But if you like strong tea and red wine, then you may well find yourself moving towards the stronger Ales like one of my faves, Keswick Brewery, Thirst Fall which I had a go of on my recent holiday.

Other people may disagree with me, but that's the way I would do it, start light and work your way up, that way you won't spoil your palate before being able to make a decision.
    NB: Also if you haven't tried Guinness, then maybe try a nice burnt malt brew, like Cornish cream or similar, they are not as think as Guinness which is what I have found puts a lot of people off.
    Arkady I'm good with the champagne too. Thing is, I've had quite a lot of practice with the red wine and none at all with ale so I suspect that it might well be rather entertaining. JFJ That sounds like an excellent way to approach things. I quite like the sound of a glass of Waggledance to start wirth - just for the name really.
    Perhaps I will try the ales in a wine glass. Is a Black Velvet a bit gassy? this a whole new world of drink opening up, it's very exciting. I wonder if they might have a Babycham glass knocking about that I could use?
    I find the idea that women's taste in liquor is dependent on the type of glass it is served in terrifying and patronising, but CAMRA stats -and this thread - do seem to bear it out.
    I'm afraid 'tis true Arkady. It also has to be in a glass made from actual glass, I'll have no truck with plastic vessels.
    *Sigh*. It's like TV adverts aimed at women - NOW WITH NUTRILLIUM! etc - it does somewhat gore a hole in my faith in feminism.
    I don't have any truck with them either. My particular bete noire was the Claudia Schiffer one 'with Boswelox'. Boswelox indeed! It's just the drinks thing that I'm somewhat girly about. Oh and the shoe thing, um... and handbags.
  • I only like Red Wine if it's served in a coke can
    I don't think I have any hideously cliched masculine obsessions, for better or worse. Except for action films. And computer games. And firearms. Oh.