Stroud Green landmarks

Comments

• edited 3:38AM
    In my mind it’s Crouch Hill to the railway north of SHR, but Tosscat coined the term I believe. Google Street view 13 Mount View Rd and you’ll see the houses I mean, though they’re not as exactly the same as I recalled – same bricks and patterns though by and large, especially relative to the later builds. I live in one of the later (1890s) Queen Anne building further east on MVR, they are fairly unique.
  • edited November 2010
    @tosscat Oh yes it might be that one, on the corner. Never seen a security guard. Got yellow fence with black spikes.
  • AliAli
    edited 3:38AM
    Coaches used to turn outside the Stapleton and start their journey back into London. This why the road is wider. There are some good pictures of the Victorian 4 ways raised crossing (raised above the horse muck) with Stapleton in the background hanging in the Dairy.
    Please don't install a bench outside my house. I've done enough for my community.
    I mean I've had to listen to nonesense from those bars for many years. I've lived abroad where drunk people are so much more eloquent (in general) after a few drinks. Why do English people after a lot of drink just shout their heads off? Before anyone says it I prefer to live here as it's my home as I was born here, spent most of my life here bar some years in other European cities, but please can people over here stop turning into idiots when you've had a a lot to drink.
    Fossilised collection of Kreuzkav's ironic non sequiturs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I consider the Upper East Side to be the triangle bordered by SHR, MVR and FPR (it's not really a triangle, it's more like one of those credit cards with the corners cut off that don'r work in machines).
    My claim to the stretch of MVR a far as Crouch Hill is influenced by my SG expansionist imperialism. As we learned last night, Crouch Hill was part of 'Stroud Green Lane' until renamed in the C19th.
    I bow to the mayor of MVR.
    Late night Misscara? I hope you feel better soon!
    I agree with Tosscats comments on the other thread that pointing at the "English" is unfair, generalist, insulting (delete where necessary. Have you interviewed them all?
  • edited November 2010
    No, but I'm commenting on a general trend in drinking culture. I have experienced other ones (e.g in Berlin people drink a lot but don't feel the same need to be loud) and the English (and I'm English) are prone to getting very aggressive and loud when drunk. This is part of the general English psyche and Peter Aykryod has noted that London has always been like this. Brash, loud, aggressive when drunk. It's annoying but also how we are. Banter is the plus side of all this though.
    But my point is that in a celebrated multi-cultural area such as SGR it can't possibly be just the "English" who make the noise. It just happens to be in England and granted, part of this culture; but there's a difference. I may just be being sensitive.
    Most bars on upper SGR don't seem to be frequented by non-English (generally). Most of the people I hear screaming outside Sugar Lounge at about 2am have English accents, a few Spanish last week. I think the White Lion is a lot more multi-cultural than the rest of the bars but I haven't been there for years.
    The large and fading 'North London School of Music' sign above the Brothers cornershop on Fonthill Rd is rather nice.
    @ Arkady isn't that junction of MVR and CH also where you can see N4, N8 and N19 addresses at the same time?

@ActionVerb yes it is a very fine sign but not in SG sadly - there is another faded beauty of a sign just above the dairy on Hanley Rd. above Fish & Chip/Chinese place.
    Did we decide what the borders of SG are then? It's about 100yards from SGR / World's End, I'd have thought it'd be at the very southern end of SG.
    I love this thread.
    I didn't go the Sugar Lounge but next time I do I will shout in three different languages just for you kreuzkav.
    Back to the point.

Woody's scraggy sheep could sit in the ironic corner.

You could also have a gallery of us lot, guessing what we look like (those you've not met) based on random comments here.

Or if not a gallery, then just faces and figures popping out of windows or coming out from behind a tree. Elvis (Vegas years) used to appear like this on him indoors's architectural drawings when he was a student. Probably once he'd qualified too. Probably now, when the mood takes him.
    That's a lovely idea. I did start doing little sketches of how I imagine people to look a while ago, just to amuse myself. Now I've met a few of the other SG'ers I'd say that the hardest thing to guess is people's ages.
    I wonder if Shouty Man lives in the Sugar Lounge.... Imagine that, Shouty Man, Bongo Man...we could give the knitters a bunch of vuvuzelas... what a hoot.
    Did I fit your mental picture Misscara? ADGS fit mine pretty closely.
    I imagine Philistine looking like Charles Manson.
    do me, do me!