Stroud Green landmarks

Comments

• edited 5:12AM
    [this?](http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=uk&client=safari&q=vetinari#i=6) TP is a cultural gap for me sadly, apart from his alzheimers, obviously.
  • AliAli
    edited 5:12AM
    Leslie Crowther has never been my father in law and I like hanging about pubs but even if you aged him that’s’ not me <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phil_Lynott_Statue_at_Bruxelles_Dublin.jpg>; When I was younger I used to think I looked like Joe Jordan at about the time of the controversial penalty against Wales at Anfield . That was ages ago, he is older than me and doesn’t look like me now
    <B><I>Stroud Green Landmarks?</I></B>

How about the topiary elephant taking over the pavement on Mount Pleasant? In fact Mount Pleasant Crescent itself is quite a landmark ... the first 'new' (mid-c19) street in Stroud Green if Wikiepeia is right ...
    So that would be the same elephant hedge mentioned in the very first post of the thread?
    Yes. And now readers will know where to find it ...
    The Council has a go at Mr Elephant re the "overhanging vegetation" from time to time.
    They really do have their quality of life priorities clear, don't they? Dicks.

MPC: a further post with those details was within the first ten comments.
    whatever ...
    ..yes, please keep up mpc!
  • edited November 2010
    I think that, if I were blind, I would fail to appreciate being scratched across the face by vegetation as high as an elephant's eye, no matter into what animal it were sculpted.
    Going back to the 'who do you look like' theme, it has to be noted that Tosscat cut me dead on the street at the weekend. Cut me DEAD - looked straight through me. And he knew it was me.

Just moments before, Becky and Ian had been happily waving at me from a moving car.

@Marquis - Thank you for excluding me from the BDSM club, though I couldn't comment on the rest of your description. My fleece is from Crag Hoppers, not Berghaus, if that helps.
    Did I? When was it? Where was it? Was it dark? How rude. Apologies.
    I often wonder why I never see anyone from on here, and now I know why.
    I was sat in Season on Friday and thought I saw Tosscat turning the corner from Perth Road onto SGR, but wasn't sure as I only have a real tiny picture to go on, in which he's wearing shades.
    Oh, and I saw Mark Pack at the Nick Clegg talk in King's Place last night, but didn't get chance to say hi.
    I have never consciously read anything by Terry Pratchett either, just picked Vetinari up from miss annie & google, tosscat. And yes, that picture is more or less exactly you. Apologies to andy about the outdoors brands mix-up.
  • AliAli
    What Nick saying " Sorry folks but our % of the vote in the polls is down 14%"
    The theme was on the subject of ‘old Vs new progressives’. He made some excellent points about some myopic tribalists on the old left (as evidenced by you and Twinspark) who get hung up on deeply problematic shibboleths rather actually addressing the causes and hindrances of social mobility. On the other hand he ignored – to the point of appearing obtuse – the old and unresolved argument over balancing individual liberty and material equality – i.e. that absence of the latter is obviously a salient factor in social mobility. But then he’s a progressive politician in a coalition with a conservative party, and it would be rather inpolitic and immature to do so. All in all I was impressed. Traditionally the Labour Party embraced the idea that inequality must be reduced to increase social mobility, that material equality was a means to an end and an end in itself. Given their increasing authoritarian and parochial tendencies this was the main thing that they had going for them. That they allowed material inequality to grow during their 13 years in power underlies their moral, philosophical and political bankruptcy – I don’t see what they have left offer. I remain glad to have returned my membership card.
    Hang on a minute - I think it's as mistaken to assume that Ed M's Labour will continue the mistakes of the New Labour years, as it was for the Twinsparks of the world to assume that New Labour had anything in common with the leftwing heritage of the party they usurped. Either is a tribalistic approach; it's not the flag that matters, it's the general.
  • AliAli
    I have to state that I have never ever ever voted for the Labour Party so don’t stereotype ! I kind of strayed in that direction to vote for Ken but that is quite understandable when you consider his main opposition first time around didn’t have control of his zipper and was a used car salesman while last time around what can you say! I won’t list the plainly non progressive actions that the current mob are proposing to happen as I have been verbally castrated by Brodiej over on the Local Health thread
    ADGS: I assume nothing comrade; I await the evidence. So far he’s just looked a bit doe-eyed and startled. I still vaguely hope he shakes them up in a big way and that we see a Lib-Lab pact next time. He really must trample on the Blunketts and Reids though. Ali: Apologies if you thought I was implying that. Though I really don’t care where Ken puts his todger – as long as it’s nowhere near me. Having said that, I’d probably give it a greasy tug to get rid of Boris.
  • AliAli
    I was thinking of some one called Steven
    Ah yes. It’s hard to imagine any circumstances in which I’d willingly tackle his todger.
    Ken huffed and puffed about stopping PFI on the Tube - and got nowhere. Boris got it rescinded. And has so far resisted kow-towing to fundamentalist scum or the loathsome Hugo Chavez. Ken did a lot of good, including his first term as the comeback kid, but he'd lost the plot and come to think of London as a personal fief. It was time for him to go.

Agreed that Ed M needs to do more to distance himself from the past, but for now I remain optimistic. It is funny, though, how the same people who were still pleading for us to give Labour a chance after 13 years of stealing Tory clothes, are the ones now most delighted to put a damning construction on every Lib Dem disappointment.
    @Arkady - sorry to have missed you!
  • AliAli
    I thought what of Annabel Goldie had to say about Nick has almost come true. <http://heritage.caledonianmercury.com/2010/04/19/useful-scots-word-clegg/00589>; I guess the likes of Markpack and Arcady have to just hope that Clegg doesn’t become the Liberal Pied Piper. It is going to be interesting in 4 years or so in the LibDems Uni seats on how they are going to persuaded Students who by that time will have massive debts to vote for them. I guess Lord Clegg will enjoying his Ermine and someone like Kennedy will be picking up the pieces. I wonder who the third party will be in 2015?
    You continue to naively ignore the great likelyhood than any party would have followed the Browne report in the current circumstances, and that the Lib Dems have presented us with a *more* progressive system than we currently have, and surely more progressive than the Tories alone would have offered. what better deal could the Lib Dems have possibly extracted? We're not used to pluralism. The third party were always going to take a kicking after their first coalition. The transition from tribalism will take time @MarkPack - no problem. I recognised one of the young fellahs you were talking to, I think I went to Durham with him.
  • AliAli
    It will be interesting how the Libdems persuade those affected that any government will have introduced what has been introduced ! I can be a naive as I like but It is not my vote the Libdems should be worried about when it comes to the kicking !
    Anyway, about landmarks... I've now seen the interesting front garden on Oxford Rd, I admire anyone who has the courage to festoon their window ledges with such a collection of kitschery - plastic Bambi's, silk flowers and the like. It will be on the map. KRS, are you back from your hols with Mr Elephant Hedge? Have you any news about it's history?