Comments

• edited 2:19AM
    Highly educated non-religious then - dare I say the chattering classes...Interesting to see high levels of self employment. And it will be interesting to compare it with 2011 Census - coming your way soon. Please fill it in as the Coalition Gov has threatened to cancel it (but will they be in power in 10 years time?)
  • edited December 2017
    I would like to congratulate mpc for the increasingly rare but correct use of data as a plural.
    Kreuzkav’s bleating turns out to be on the money (a stopped clock is right twice per day) – Stroud Green is a hotbed of the intellectual bourgeoisie.
    I reckon it will be even more bourgeois ten years on
  • IanIan
    edited February 2011
    With over 50% at level 4/5 in 2001 perhaps it has always been the intellectual bourgeois' hood and others trying to claim the turf are mistaken? It is much less marked [West Side](http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=6173887&c=N4+3PT&d=14&e=15&g=339266&i=1001x1003x1004&m=0&r=0&s=1298567643921&enc=1) which means the other side of the SGR is the posh end of town.
    Though even Tollington is less religious and has more degrees than the UK average.

p.s. I'm not sure it's fair to say that Kreuzkav bleats - I don't always agree with him/her, but quite like his posts. Different perspectives in one happy tolerant community and all that.
  • RegReg
    edited 2:19AM
    Interesting that in Tollington ward about 45% of housing is 'social'. This is pretty close to the Ken's old 50% target delivery in new schemes. I wonder if that make us a "mixed and balanced" community? Are you "mixed and balanced", fellow Tollingtonians?
  • edited February 2011
    @Arkady. I've never 'bleated on' about an intellectual bourgeoisie, but about a coarser priveleged type that probably works in the financial sector and likes the edginess of SG, who will probably in time move up to Crouch End. I have a Masters degree myself and I'm not anti-intellectual. The reason I 'bleat on' is that I'm constantly misunderstood or patronised (e.g 'even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day'). You're not the only person in the area who has done a dissertation, read Foucault or appreciates the prose of Baudelaire. I think you actually like the chance to browbeat on here. I did not comment on this thread before you made a comment about me so you can't this time accuse me of contaminating this thread. Anyway, I do like most of your posts and I'd like to bury the hatchet. I've done it with others on here.

With regard to the statistics I was quite surprised that there were so many people affiliated to religious groups.
    I am WELL mixed but not sure about balanced
    Whenever I see your name siolae, I am put in mind of Cee Lo Green (not a bad thing). Please give me a pointer as to how I should pronounce it, so that I can cleave your two identities.
    I wonder how many Jedis there are in Stroud Green & surrounds.
    @Kreuzkav. I’m sorry. It’s sometimes hard to remember which socio-economic group you are subjecting to crass stereotype. It might be worth you spending some time in deep introspection asking yourself exactly *why* it is that you are “constantly misunderstood”. Might it be because of the style and content of your posts? Your idea of ‘burying the hatchet’ seems to consist of the following: first, bizarrely accusing some of the nicest, kindest and most thoughtful people I have ever met of being a bullying elite; and then hilariously asking them to go for a drink with you at one of the least-salubrious venues around. No. I’m quite content to continue pointing out when you behave like an arse, and expect no less in respect of myself. Arky PS – I’ve never read Baudelaire. Wasn’t he in that Lemony Snickett film?
    That film was a travesty, but the books were excellent. As was the original Baudelaire.
    @siolae - i always thought it was pronounced as in gladioli
  • edited February 2011
    @Arkady. I don't think caricaturing a privileged type in society is the same as making fun of the downtrodden. I'm sure they wont lose any sleep over it. They have more important things to worry about like where to get their next restaurant or cocktail fix. And it is a caricature! I wear a jumper over my shirt sometimes too, but surely you've seen the arrogant tossers who swan around SGR. Luckily there aren't many of them. By the way, I do have friends from all social groups but even the privileged ones make fun of a 'certain type'.

I have apologised for moaning so much last year. I thought I'd ironed out the differences that were occuring in the 'sunk' post. I'm sure most of the regulars on here are nice people (as I am too) but I did feel set upon at times. It didn't help that I was going through a really bad time last summer/autumn and that feeling of being 'ganged up on' was amplified.

I used to go to The Twelve Pins now and again as it has the best guiness I've ever tasted in London. It's not so bad inside and I always found the manager and staff to be lovely. I haven't been in since 2008 so things might have changed.

You should read some Baudelaire. His poetic prose deals with the good and bad things about Haussmann's Paris. He loved the city but also criticised it too. However, he probably didn't moan!
  • IanIan
    edited 2:19AM
    Now we come back to it, where else would you wear a jumper but over your shirt? Under your shirt? Over your pants? It is the most baffling attempt at being teased I've had. I can only assume it is an attempt to make me all self conscious, put in my mind that since a child I've mistaken the role of the jumper and people have been laughing at me all along.
    @ Ian. A jumper can be worn in more ways than one. It can be worn over a t-shirt or on bare skin. A jumper dress can be worn over pants. Last night, a female friend was wearing a sweater dress. Quite a nice look on the right person. I was referring to the posh boy look of jumper over a collared shirt. Not only posh boys do this and I think it's not a bad look on the right person but I'm sure if you've been to the Old Dairy, The Noble or Seasons you know what I mean...
    I once got mistaken for an undercover cop while wearing a collared shirt under a jumper and a pinstripe jacket on top. I was going for more of an Alex James vibe...
    @ADGS. At this stage were you tall and slim with a floppy fringe? It's not a look I'd associate with undercover police.
    I would suggest that a jumper hung over the shoulders is probably more appropriate as an accessory for the caricature that Kreuzkav is trying to conjure up in our/his mind?

I am still at a loss as to why there is such animosity towards a certain section of society though. Perhaps some childhood bullying by a chap called Rupert? An ex girlfriend running off with Black Amex wielding trader? Or perhaps he is actually a trustifarian himself and just hates his parents for sending him to boarding school at age 5?

Either way, I'm not big on condemning individuals based on where they work, what they wear and where they eat. In my mind that's no different to racism/ageism and a bunch of other -isms.

Live and let live, yeah?
    Sarah Lund wears a jumper over her shoulders.
    I like Sarah Lund.

Do you think Troels did it? I can't see it myself but there you go.
    I'm only up to number 7 so far. I hope it wasn't Troels; even though he was beastly to Morten, I still quite like him.
  • edited March 2011
    @ N4 Matt, surely you can understand that people feel resentful towards an upper middle class and upper class who have had an easy ride in life. I don't waste too much of my life thinking about it, but I'm a bit dissappointed that social privilege is still being hogged by an elite. It's not just about me, but about how I'd like society to be. How someone wears a jumper is a joke. At the same time I don't agree with a government dishing out loads of welfare (without vetting) and providing cushy council jobs for life.

To answer some of your questions, I've never been cheated on by a girlfriend, as far as I've known. The relationships have run out of steam or we've realised fairly early on that we're not compatible. I've never been bullied by upper class or middle class types. I've generally got on well with them and most of my friends are middle class. And finally my parents are aspiring working class types that worked hard (and were lucky with house prices) and I guess are lower middle class now. They are loving and caring people and I count my blessing there. Definitely not a trustafarian.

I'm quite polemical and I'm interested in how things work so like to prod around and sound off. I don't mean any harm but I take on board what some people say about how I should be more careful about how I present my posts.

I like bars like The Old Dairy, The Noble as well as The Faltering Fullback and The Twelve Pins. I might even go to the Seasons restaurant soon.
    @kreuzkav

"Matt, surely you can understand that people feel resentful towards an upper middle class and upper class who have had an easy ride in life."

i've never met anyone who's had an easy ride in life, even if they do combine jumpers with shirts. i'm glad you're so much more of an expert. i bow to your knowledge.
    @ Kreuzkav

I recognise the Jumper look you describe, it's also the "Tim nice but dim' character's look from Harry Enfield. Very popular in Essex where blokes like to pretend they're city traders.

Best Guinness is at The Park Tavern without question and the place is a stress free zone compared to the Twelve Pins.
  • edited March 2011
    @ twinspark. I've never been into the Park Tavern as it seems a bit gloomy from outside. Never had any hassle in the Twelve Pins apart from the odd beggar. As I said I haven't been in there for a long time.