Boulangerie Bon Matin

IanIan
edited March 2011 in Local discussion
I thought I would give them their own thread, rather than the one with Sable D'Or as the title. Went in this morning. Had a raspberry danish pastry which was very very nice. £1.30 for take away which seems reasonable to me. Mind you as our current Saturday breakfast is two cinnamon danish from Sainsbury's for £1 it could start adding up. I think this is exactly the right sort of place for the area and those who trek over the hill to Crouch End for this sort of place might hang around and make it a success. That said I didn't try the coffee. I also think it is a good complement to Front Row. Main thing was that the place was proper busy, even only on day 2 with plenty of folk breakfasting. Other observations: they had a few newspapers to read; stock was running low but this might be that they are under providing until they know what trade patterns will be like; the way they have decked it out is really nice particularly roofing over the old smoking area. Still think it should be Boulangerie 'Du' Bon Matin but what do I know?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017
  • edited 8:27AM
  • IanIan
    edited March 2011
    @mpc Tollington Park
    I popped in for more cakes on my way home from the gym. They were delicious again but I fear this new opening may be my ruin.
    I had breakfast there this morning. Very good - coffee and food. It's an interesting breakfast menu including cinnamon toast and crepes. The back room is lovely - very light and spacious, not crowded, some art on the exposed brick walls. Service was a little slow but friendly. The menu is very vegetarian-friendly. Someone mentioned that there is no full English breakfast but there is a vegetarian version. In fact, I didn't spot any red meat on the menu at all. There is some tuna, salmon and a chicken dish - but no sausage or bacon. Lots of veggie choices. I will ask next time if the tarts are glazed with gelatine, as I would normally avoid such items and it would be great if they use a veg alternative. I really hope it's a success as it's a good addition to SG.
    Nice to know they have a good vegetarian selection. I must try it out!
  • hsbhsb
    edited 8:27AM
    Had brunch there yesterday and it is a very welcome addition to the area. Great food in a well thought out and designed setting. My only complaint would be that the coffee was very disappointing. No better or worse than the Front Room which isn't saying much. London is at last starting to really take off as a city in which to get good coffee and SG needs that too. Can't new ventures like this invest a little in good coffee beans and properly trained baristas? A small gripe on what is an otherwise splendid addition to the area.
    It is a nice addition to the area, would like to see more like this! A good sushi place would go down well (for me any way!) Does anyone know what Dudley's is going to be?
    I've heard rumours of it being a pet restaurant. You can indulge your cat, dog or rabbit in a bit of foodie culture, while you toddle on down the street to check out the latest bar.
    Sushi for pets perhaps?
  • edited March 2011
    Don't bring your goldfish though!
    I think Boulangerie Bon Matin is nice but seems strangely not like Stroud Green, will take a bit of getting used to. I could do with a croissant that's a bit more almondy, but I guess that's splitting hairs. I hope it does alright there. I really like Coffee Circus for good coffee.
    I can't wait to go!
  • IanIan
    @hurlyburly what's wrong with Dotori? The finest sushi in all of London, and the surrounding area. If you haven't found it yet at the bottom of SGR you really should.
  • edited December 2012
    Like in English it's imporatant to exclude prepositions and articles in titles of places.
    Should use new speak....

food plus good
    'food plus good' would make a good Shoreditch/Dalston foodie place title.
  • Surely these days it would be more like food + good = WIN! Bad coffee = Epic fail!
  • edited March 2011
    @hurlyburly is Dotori not good enough sushi for you?

(edited because I just saw Ian's post saying same)
  • edited December 2017
    On Tollington Park next to Davies & Davies. Really, you can't miss it - it's spangly and new and looks like a New Yorkers dream of what a French patisserie might look like. That's a good thing by the way.
    It is so shiny and French, do we deserve it? When i went past a few days ago, people were gathering and staring in the window as if we had never seen a pastry before. One woman said into her phone: 'There's a new bakery where that cafe used to be. Nice cakes... No, it looks snobby.'
  • edited March 2011
    I know what you mean, it doesn't seem quite right. Anyway, after twenty years of doggedly doing my shopping on Stroud Green Road, trying to keep the neighbourhood alive, I deserve it.
  • RoyRoy
    @dorothy: I dunno - If you're supporting SGR maybe TP is the competiton? :-)
  • RoyRoy
    Although having finally noticed where BBM is, maybe it counts as an honourary SGR establishment. Back to my pet hate of shutters - BBM has none at all (yay!) Instead, it chooses to have blinds inside the windows that just as effectively prevent you seeing into the shop. What is it about proprietors of SG establishments that makes them so intent on hiding their shops from potential customers? I really do find this high street quite bizarre. I'm used to shops being brightly lit and an obvious invitation to come back when they're open.
  • RoyRoy
    I can see that the necessity for security shutters may be a sad fact of life. It's the going out of one's way to hide the inside of the shop from plain sight that I don't get -- does that really reduce crime? -roy
  • R&JR&J
    Well I went in there the other day and have to agree that it's a very nice looking place.

£6 for two measly slices of french toast however won't have me rushing back