Boulangerie Bon Matin

Comments

• edited 5:39AM
    I think macchiato is the closest to a real Italian cappuccino. It should be an espresso plus froth, so that the coffee taste really comes through. Most English coffees are far too milky, no matter how they advertise themselves. This was certainly true of the only BBM capp I have so far had.

In addition, I can imagine that it's now far too hot in there. What a pity they don't seem to have pavement rights, as their predecessors had. The cafe opposite is not perfect, but their macchiato is surprisingly good, and usually served with a tiny biscuit, which isn't bad, for a mere £1.30 - and there's always room on the pavement, so I usually go there, on my way back from Tesco's.

I don't know how it's done, but there is ONE version of a capp that I like, even though it isn't very Italian: the creamy/frothy kind, but still coffeeish, served at Dream River, and most Costa branches, where I have learnt to ask for it 'flat', for more froth/less milk.
    I went in yesterday and got a cheesecake to go. It was tasty, and I liked the space. I then got roundly mocked by my companions for saying that I liked the space, which apparently made me sound like I worked in the media and should have a shaved head.
    Either that or watch too much Grand Designs.
    I think I may have caught five minutes of that at the parents' place once. Baffling.
    @checkski .... 'the cafe opposite'. If you mean the mock-Italian/Turkish/Middle Eastern place with tables outside next to the estate agent I couldn't disagree more about the merits of their 'coffee'.

I used to enjoy a cappucino there in the sun but the other day I was delivered a capuccino that actually looked so foul it made me gag......no froth and black floaty bits. It tasted like dishwater too. The waitress saw me push it away with a sick look and brought a replacement which was almost as bad.

I am no coffee buff but it was so vile I considered starting a 'never again' thread here to honour this foul offering. So here you go - never again.

The cafe was full of old men smoking and shouting anyway, which is fine at times but not over Saturday breakfast coffee time.

I've been going to BBM since and the cappucino is much better for the same price (or possibly less), served by smiling wenches, there are free papers, nobody shouting and a fine space. What's not to like.

PS I also once had the world's worst 'scrambled egg' at the cafe opposite - microwaved into submission. Yeuch!
    Yep - I agree with all that, Krappy. It's the macchiato I like. Strange how poor their cappuccino is.You know about Italian culture, don't you? Try the macch before you leave them in disgust. I'd be interested to hear your opinion. I don't know about the food - the tiny biscuit is the furthest I ever go, in that direction! It is far too noisy, but the staff are nice - and one of the girls speaks fluent Italian, after only 8 months in Milan. I was gobsmacked.
    @ ADGS - I would like to take this opportunity to mock your use of the phrase "to go". Many thanks.
    the flatmate and i popped in for breakfast around 8am the other day, she had the veggie full english which she enjoyed and i had the spinach and cheese crepe type thing which was h e a v e n l y :-)
    Cappuccino was abismal though, agreed.
    I went to BBM once with friends and they forgot to make coffee for me, and that was all i wanted ... after finally receiving it i was so happy that cant really remember whether it tasted nice.
    btw, who actually goes to that mock italian place? it seems to have people sitting outside all the time, while serving worst sandwiches i have ever eaten?

i think for coffee there is nice place at the FP station - think its called Mike. The girls working there always help me put lid on when i buy my coffee still asleep on my way to the train :D
    I suspect that the cafe across the road from BBM, and the florist next door, are suspicious front establishments: but for what, I can't say....

ADGS: you've nailed me, I'm afraid. And I do watch Grand Designs every now and again...

I'd like to add, pedantically (yep, that's me) that Milk Bar on Bateman Street in Soho does an amazing flat white - only 5.5 miles by road from BBM!
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @therattle: Tapped and Packed > Milk Bar. And probably a quarter of a mile closer to Stroud Green.
    @therattle Google Green lanes and any godfather related term you want and youll start to work it out
    I had the veggie fry up breakfast in here. It was ok, but the mushrooms had obviously been cooked in the same pan as the cinnamon toast and tasted like it.

Slight 'hotel breakfast' feeling to the place.

Had a coffee but don't remember it being good or bad.

Staying off cakes.

A good addition to Stroud Green overall.
  • R&JR&J
    edited 5:39AM
    Been in there twice now. Both times I've left feeling the same as I before I went in, hungry!
    What did you eat R&J? they seem to have huge sandwiches.
    Went there again and definitely love the back room!
    The veggie breakfast is ample.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Dream River do lovely smoothies.
  • R&JR&J
    @Margolada - The first time was the French toast which was 2 measly pieces of brioche and some greek yoghurt. The second time I think it was a chicken tarragon sandwich (the only choice available as the kitchen was closed at 3pm on a weekday) along with a smoothy which was warm
    Dream river also has great freshly made juices :)
    @R&J - those meals actually make me stay at home instead of going there :(
    @Ian - I didn't realise it was there! I usually order from Kata! which I think is based in Tottenham. I will have to try Dotori.

Im not overly impressed with Boulangerie. It looks amazing but its very over priced and the food wasnt great when I went with my partner.

The mozzarella and pesto ciabatta was nice but the houllumi one was flavourless and they are seriously stingy with the cheese (on both ciabatta's) The smoothie wasn't very big and was very expensive and my coffee tasted of chemicals - it was so bad I couldn't drink it but they were understanding and took the price off the bill.

I will try it again to give it a fair go (and because it is gorgeous) but I might stick to tea and cakes.
  • edited December 2017
    I love it - brie, avacado and tomato baguette - real French style bread - and under £3. I can't wait to try one of those orange cakes.
    Timeout really loving this place it has sent out its team of experts (!?) and Boulangerie Bon Matin is in their London's best breakfasts and brunches guide.

http://www.timeout.com/london/feature/1064/londons-best-breakfasts-and-brunches/2

I can't comment as I've not been yet...

Gail's in Crouch End is there too.
    If you are a bit picky about it (as I am) and want a decent cup of coffee, try Coffee Circus on Crouch Hill.
  • edited June 2011
    Nice place but can't condone the extortionate 'eat-in' prices they charge.

£2.50 for a pastry "to-go" or an additional £1.00 to eat-in! I ask you, for a measly pastry! And yes Emma, I too use the phrase "to-go"...must be a American thing :)

Needless to say I didn't buy anything out of principle so their loss. You'd think they'd want to keep people in rather than out instead of having empty tables, as they often do.
  • AliAli
    This is an interesting background on Bob. <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/bob-crow-strikes-back-402240.html>; Reading it brings back memories of afternoon locks in on Friday afternoons at the Price of Wales Feathers in Warren St drinking with Jimmy Nap and Mick McGahey. He fibs a bit about using Trains to get around the UK, I sat behind him once on flight to Dundee. He must have been going to Perth to the Stagecoach HQ. He sat in business class I was in economy all there was between the class was small curtain and he got glass of orange juice. He also had on this really bad taste shiny grey suite.