Sugar Lounge-please respect your neighbours

edited June 2011 in Local discussion
A group of travellers turned up at the Sugar Lounge last night and proceeded to make a horrible noise into the middle of the night and the bar staff didn't do anything. Police were called to Stroud Green by neighbours twice (not by me) and the first time it was the community police who just were a bit relaxed. The 'Police' turned up second time. Myself and other neighbours had a chat to them and they told us that something like 20 complaints were made.

I appreciate that Sugar Lounge have made efforts to improve things (but please if you employ a door person, please let them be more active and not so passive). It's ironic this comes after a day of positive vibes from me about them. I understand as it's Tuesday no security is there. I realise it was rogue party of idiots, but you really need to control your patrons. I ran a club in the 90s with a few other people that had 700 plus people attending in a dodgy club in Hackney and we controlled it. One complaint from neighbours and we dealt with it. And we had two amazing doormen, but we paid them well.

I've spoken to other neighbours and we're not willing to tolerate tables and people left outside late at night. I wish you well but if you proceed to not respect your neighbours you will go the way of other pubs/bars like Chapter One round here. We won't respect the way you treated us last summer and we're organising police, neighbours and environmental health already.

Again, I wish your business well, but please don't take us for granted!

Comments

• edited 5:04AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • R&JR&J
    edited 5:04AM
    I tweeted them a link to this topic
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz x10
  • KazKaz
    I posted this on the wrong thread: (Now I get to say my peace twice!)

I feel that SOME of the critisism of Sugar Lounge is a bit unjust. Because they are open late, a lot of people are drunk already when they arrive. Which may not be obvious to the staff straight away as people tend to pull themselves together before going into a new place.

I mean there is only so much you can do!!! The problem is often the people, not the venue itself. If the doorman refuses them entry, chances are they will hang around on the pavement arguing or debating their next move. And you can't just forcibly move someone off a public pavement!

If someone has spent the evening there and are leaving in separate directions, chances are they will have a chat/cigarette/extended goodbye outside. And drunk people just tend to be loud.

Normally I would say if you live on a busy road, you have to put up with a certain amount of noise, but I wont, as I've seen previous threads, and the words "worms" and "can" springs to mind.

I do sympathise with those who are effected, but from what I have seen, the Sugar Lounge has listened and tried to do something about the situation. And at the end of the day, this street is always going to have some level of noise.
    Three friends and I had dinner and drinks at the Sugar Lounge a few weeks ago. We found the staff nice enough, but not terribly competent. The place was almost completely empty. Still, it took ages to get served. I don't think I've ever seen a barman take that long to pour three pints and a diet coke. He had to look for each glass separately. The diet coke was served with crushed ice. The food was below average.

They're clearly trying, but falling way short of the standard set by other restaurants in SG. My guess is the same applies to controlling their customers. You have to know what you're doing, or hire someone who does.
    I've had some very good experiences with their meze - huge portions too. And very good cocktails.
  • edited June 2011
    I do acknowledge that Sugar Lounge have made efforts to improve and I stated this on the K1 post about four days ago. The incredible loud noise as I stated above was caused by a rogue group of people. I did like the Sean Nos (anicent Gaelic singing) though. We're just worried that things will return to the way it was last summer when people stayed on tables with drinks until 3 or 4 in the morning. I think the management and staff of SL are nice people but were not really that conscious of the effect of this and still have a tendency to be easy going about it all. I noticed a great improvement lately (bar last Monday), prompted by a more mature member of staff. 11 pm to take in tables is quite late compared to other bars I know, but if they do take in the tables at this time I'd be happy. However, sometimes it's 11.15, 11.30 or later. And it's good to see a doorman actually standing at the door at the weekends.

I agree noise is part of living on a busy road and I'm not that averse to it, but allowing people out with drinks or to sit at tables after 11 pm when most people are getting fairly drunk causes quite a din. I use ear plugs at night (wax ones from boots) but not so good when you want to watch a dvd or tv.
    Moan moan moan moan moan. Killjoy
    Not a moan but a comment. You seem the one moaning. Should we have a free for all in society? So people grunting on the streets like neanderthals is OK? Some of us have evolved from cavemen!
  • edited June 2011
    Sugar Lounge is a stupid name for a Turkish bar / restaurant. It sounds like it should be in Brentwood.
  • edited June 2011
    As I've said above I do appreciate that Sugar Lounge have got their act together. Especially lately. Monday was worrying for myself and neighbours as it brought back memories of last summer when patrons were left out on tables with drinks until 3 or 4 am. We just don't want a re-run of that this summer. When drunk or near drunk people are left outside it really does create quite a very loud din. If it does happen this time we will seek help from official channels. I don't think this will be neccessary.

Have a lovely weekend!
    I am moaning, I'm moaning about all the moaning
    If you think there's a slight possibility kreuzkav might have a moan about the Sugar Lounge in a "Sugar Lounge" titled thread DON'T READ IT! He's perfectly entitled to voice this opinion, and while you're perfectly entitled to tell him that he's boring... its rather odd that you decided to go to all that trouble.....given that its apparently boring??? Kreuzkav - Keep plugging away. Being able to have a good nights sleep without muppets shouting their heads off isn't unreasonable.
    It may not be unreasonable. But making the same complaint here over and over again – often using what appears to be a cut & paste approach, and as many words as feasibly possible, and over as many threads (new or old) as can be managed – achieves nothing but annoyance and rapidly diminishing levels of sympathy. And that’s presumably the opposite of what is intended. The relevant authorities have been pointed out countless times – go complain to them.
    Sugar Lounge read the posts and make posts. I'm guessing Kreuzkav is trying to reach out to them before going down the official route. As you say, the number of posts suggests they're not listening. Time for a different approach then agreed. That said, its pretty easy, if Sugar Lounge is in the title and the author is Kreuzkav......don't click on it and i promise you will avoid any feelings of annoyance or diminishing sympathy. I don't click on the book club link because i'm not in it and its irrelevant to me. As a result i don't get annoyed and post about people going on about where to meet for the next session.
    Maybe I do tend to seek out fools so that I don't have to suffer them gladly. I'll think about that.
    In fairness to them, Sugar Lounge were all closed up by about 11.30 when I went past. They obviously saw the problems and closed early. The travellers came up from WLM, who also threw them out and closed, and the travellers stayed on the streets until the early hours, including outside the Stapleton and other areas. As they actually closed early, I don't see what Sugar Lounge have done wrong here? They weren't expecting the people who were being loud and can't be held responsible for them staying on the streets until 4am.
    Sugar Lounge have done nothing wrong, old kreuzkav won't be happy until they close all shops/bars/pubs, ban traffic and all pedestrians from SGR forever.
    I agree with Brodiej and sympathise with Kreuzkav. Sleep deprivation is bad enough if it's just from a one off neighbouring party. To have to put up with it regularly must be horrendous. Most of us don't have to put up with nightly noise pollution and could do with being a bit more tolerant of those who do. Just learn to be selective about whose posts you read...it works.
    Am I the only one who is interested in reading everything? As many threads go off on a tangent,and a lot of the members here are bright bunnies, I often find threads that started off as being a bit dull can often turn out to be rather lively and often quite interesting.
    A sugar lounge thread will always be a sugar lounge thread in my experience. The "Bright bunnies" tend to just tell Kreuzkav to shut up rather than perhaps discuss anything else or use their superior intelligence to ignore. I'd say the cycle repeats every 3-4 months depending on the weather.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks to Brodiej and Tallboy for your understanding. You are right, I chose to post on here rather than being some guttersnipe reporting them to the council. I've also spoken to them face to face. And as I've said I'm very happy that they've reacted in a good way. It's taken time, but now they have a doorman on the door at the weekend and take in the chairs and tables on time (I think?).

I didn't want to get too personal and wanted to keep it on the issue but there's a weird attitude on here from about 5-10 of the regulars. I've known about this site for about four years but only registered to comment on here after seeing Sugar Lounge's posts. They are registered and come on here, so I think it's fair enough to assume they read my posts too. I don't want to ban all traffic, bars etc. I accept living on SGR means that I have to put up with a certain degree of noise. Buses ( I haven't called for their re-routing), delivery trucks (again I have never complained), traffic (I've never called for its banning).

Pubs/bars/restaurants, I love them (I've managed one, run clubs, worked as a barman, cook and waiter). I go out to a pub or two every week. But as someone said pubs and bars on SGR are badly regulated. How did K1 get away with the noise for so long? How did Sugar Lounge get away with its all night outside parities last year for up to two months (and they were parties)? I spoke to the police last Monday and they don't understand either but their hands are tied but they made a record of what is going on and if the environmental health are brought in a bars licence can be taken away within a year. But logs of complaints are needed. Again I love bars and don't want them to lose their licence. I'm too much of a nice guy.

We live in London, a modern city, an evolved city, congestion charging is used to calm traffic, there are some cycle routes and cycle lanes (not enough). We've stopped using coal burning power stations and there is no heavy polluting industry situated in the city limits. London tries to control the chaos. The same should go for bars and pubs and general noise pollution.

I accept there will be a bit of noise when people come out of the pub in high spirits and say goodbye to each other. What I don't accept is a bar leaving people on seats outside late at night with drinks in hand. It's not much to ask a bar to have a door person to ask people to calm down and ban them from re-entry if they don't and a bar to take in the chairs and benches at 11 pm (should be earlier i think).

Sugar Lounge have taken strong measures to be good neighbours and I thank them so much. Please keep it up all summer! xx
    I'm guessing Saturday nights are Street Party Nights at Sugar Lounge - 2.30am and I've just counted 10 people standing around outside having a whole lotta fun.

And hey, it's not like any of us neighbours need to, heaven forbid, sleep at this hour.

Shame, as they'd been doing so much better this past week or two...
  • R&JR&J
    Sorry but that pink paint job is offensive to my eyes. I was hoping it was going to be an undercoat
    I've been twice and the food was great. It was empty early on but in both cases a group of (different) fit birds came in and the whole place lit up.it was quite a night and for single guys or straying ones it must be a local hotspot. I am off there On weds.
    Maybe. They were mid 20s one night with and older ginger lady tagging along - and a gang of 6 Asian babes last thurs. Not sure it was knitting practice but 1 of em could certainly use her hands. And neither party was the noisey sort (re the above complaints) just uP for a laugh, and fit wit it. Ideal really,and as I sed the food was nice.