Turn the lights off for an hour on March 31st

edited February 2012 in About this site
The WWF is asking everyone to turn their lights off for an hour 31st March 8:30pm.<br>Here are a couple of good sites<br>

Comments

• The paper said the Govt is supporting turning down/ off street lights in many areas and putting lighting only in busy times on main roads. I support this and think there is no need to have ANY street light in SGR and only half the lights on and half dimmed in the resi streets. in fact you can turn them right off in Lorne Road - would be an improvement to plunge it into darkness . And anyway if u get lost u can always follow da smell of 'drains'!! Overall it would save us all money and put green in SG. I support it. Chang
  • great excuse to stay in and have sex in the dark for the whole country.<div>Not that most of us can last a whole hour, mind.</div>
  • Great idea. Would be even better if the big buildings where nobody works at night or weekends switch off their lights and if people in general would be more considerate: switching lights off in rooms they aren't using at the time and using energy saving bulps. <br><br>Most people just don't care and leave the light in the hallway burning all night.<br><br>'rant over'<br>
  • Someone in Islington council said in the local paper they would do a low light pilot in 10 streets including Tollington Park and Rock Street (not sure where that is) . Queens Drive also suggested but locals objected as said it attracts 'sex trade types'. Seems unlikely in SG? Chang
  • <P>@ChangN4N6, about 15-20 years ago, there was a serious kerb-crawling problem on Queen's Drive/Finsbury Park Road/Wilberforce Road - that's why all those streets are blocked off at the Seven Sisters Rd end. Rock St is off Blackstock Rd - it curves round by the mosque to join Seven Sisters Road. </P>
  • I don't think streets should be less lit. <br><br>But look at the buildings in the city. Nobody's there, yet they are bright as day. I find that is irresponsible. My former neighbours regularly left on the light in the hallway. Why? I wonder. It's just waste of energy. If thousands of households think like that... people don't care. Yet, if everyone would just use their brains a bit more often it would make a hell of a lot of a difference.<br>
  • This also applies for letting your car run when parking/waiting for someone. I always want to scream at those idiots.<br>
  • @Stella, parking with the engine not running is a bit tricky...!
  • Not if you have six helpers to maneuver you :-)<br><br>Woman! You know what I mean. <br>
  • I don't ever want to use energy saving bulbs. I hate them and I am stockpiling the 'old' lightbulbs. Energy saving bulbs take an age to get bright enough to sew or draw by and they give a really horrible tone of light - makes everything look flat. They also give me a headache.
  • I agree. They are hopeless for reading by, as well. Apparently Which, the consumers' choice organisation, have been highly critical, praising the  EU intention behind the change, but opining that not enough time has been spent at the drawing board. Not only are they not bright enough, but the quality of the light is wrong as well - reading by them is very difficult. I buy  the old 100W bulbs from corner shops; you can apparently also get them from street markets, and Amazon. Mind you, when they go , it can be terrifying, can' it?  One blew at Checkski Towers the other day, and I thought a bomb had gone off, and it took some time  to get all the other lights back on, and to clear up the broken glass.
  • Sorry. I tried to edit out repetitions, but couldn't.
  • It's the fault of all these groups telling everyone to save energy. Humans are selfish creatures and telling them to save energy to save the planet isn't, in the majority of cases going to work. A better way to go about it would be to highlight the potential financial gain.<div><br></div><div>People who leave their electrical appliances on and cars running are obviously either to rich to care or too stupid to see how much money they are wasting.</div><div><br></div><div>As for the office buildings with lights on all the time, I just cannot understand it. I work in a new building and they did at least not install any light switches. Lights come on when movement is sensed and go off when no movement has been sensed for 30 minutes.</div>
  • From what I understand, Earth Hour is more aimed at businesses than individuals, the idea being to get those lights turned off, although individuals who want to join in are obviously welcome to. I used to go home via Canary Wharf on the DLR, and the number of lights on when the buildings weren't in use was ridiculous.<br>
  • I don't have any problems reading my Kindle and I have energy saving bulps everywhere, apart from the kitchen and bathroom as I tend to switch the lights on and off instead of having them burning for hours (like in the living room).<br>
  • edited February 2012
    Burps. It was meant to be burps.<br>
  • This is today, by the way.
  • Was. Did anybody do it? I did involuntarily, just wanting a quick kip.
  • <p>No, but we had a power cut for three hours last week so I think we've done our bit.</p>
  • Ah - always ahead of myself - thanks Andrew! (Thanks for everything else as well)<div><br></div><div>This is tomorrow, by the way...</div>
  • <p>I've been told that switching on and off light bulbs every time you go in and out of rooms can use up more energy than if you leave them on.  Naturally if you don't need a light on for a few hours it's best to switch it off.  It was the case with the old style lightbulbs.  Probably not with the new 'energy saving' ones.  </p><p>I've had energy saving lightbulbs for some time but found by making sure all my appliances are not left on standby I've saved nearly half on my electricity bill.  </p>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Funeral Directors are on call twenty four hours a day so they tend to leave the lights on.
  • SGR Funeral Home had a Christmas Tree in its window last year which I found a bit surreal but amusing. I think most funeral homes are trying to seem cosy and warm rather than gloomy and intimidating, for the living rather than the dead.
  • edited April 2012
    @misscara: The lights are always left on [...] it looks quite cosy in there, like a little old lady's sitting room. That is to show what Mrs God has on offer. it seems to me a nice quirk that the local facilities for the embalming and boxing-up of corpses is next door to a vegetarian restaurant.
  • It would be even quirkier if it was next door to a butchers.  Has anyone seen the film Delicatessen? 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I want a full East End funeral with black horses dressed with plumes of feathers and a glass carriage. I'm considering having professional wailing women to accompany the procession too.