Turn the lights off for an hour on March 31st

2»

Comments

• Is the Tibetan sky burial the one where you get fed to vultures? Because that's what I want. There's a vulture rehab centre in Croatia, so if someone could just take me there and stake me out, that would be great. After I'm dead, preferably.<br>
  • <a href="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2061307/Can-really-save-money-switching-lights.html">Not true that you use more energy turning lights on and off, apparently.</a><br><br>I would have done the lights off thing, but, as ever, forgot. <br>
  • edited April 2012
    I think the turning the lights on and off thing related to old-fashioned ceiling-mounted fluorescent tubes that had a big 'starter' which took a lot of power to start the fluoresence in the tube. And so, unless turning the light off for seveal hours, turning on and off and on and off in short periods, instead of leaving on, did cost marginally more than leaving them on throughout.
  • We have fluoresent tubes in all the rooms in our flat. It does feel like a chippy sometimes with the bright light and buzz but you can always see if there is any dirt on the Lino or carpet and I've never lost anything like a oyster card - it is so bright. I turn them off but the landlady sleeps with hers on. Prob not so good for the elec bill or green carbons. Chang