Lynne Choona Featherstone Interviewed by The Times

Comments

• @chrisn4 What about lesbians? Or do you take a Victorian outlook on homosexuality?
  • <P>unnattachedinfant (why do you call yourself this name?)</P> <P>I assume that you are referring to the fact that Her Majesty Queen Victoria believed that lesbianism did not exist.On the basis that it would be impossible for 2 women to do whatever lesbians do....</P> <P>I believe gay marriage should not be allowed for lesbians too.</P> <P>The combined skills of a man and a woman are needed to bring up a kid.</P> <P>Why are men's minds different from women's minds.an evolutionary pyscologist would say that women are more in touch with feelings because they have to read the minds of their kids via kids body language to see if kids are ill or in need of attention.But a man must leave the cave and harden his heart and kill of his "in touch with feeelings" side as he needs to kill the lion or the  wild animal to bring home the bacon to the cave.cavemen and cave women minds inform the way men and women behave today.And this combo of skills is what is needed to bring up a kid.</P> <P>Jewish people may come under criticism from the muslim community as Ms Featherstone is trying to make legal gay marriage.    </P> <P>  </P>
  • Oh I do love a bigot.<br>
  • <P>Idoru - i think you are rude,maybe that is what you are like.And you seem a bit ignorant perhaps u r just thick? </P> <P>shame there isnt a "no thickies" policy on this forum? </P> <P>A <B>bigot</B> is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and <A title=Animosity href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animosity"><FONT color=#0645ad>animosity</FONT></A> toward those of differing beliefs. The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing sex, race, ethnicity, religious belief or spirituality, political alignment, nationality, language, sexual orientation, and age; and to those from a different region, with non-normative gender identity, those who are <A title=Homelessness href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness"><FONT color=#0645ad>homeless</FONT></A>, and those with various medical disorders, particularly behavioural and addictive disorders. Forms of bigotry may have a related <A title=Ideology href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideology"><FONT color=#0645ad>ideology</FONT></A> or <A title="World view" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_view"><FONT color=#0645ad>world views</FONT></A>.</P> <P><A title="Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr." href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Wendell_Holmes,_Sr."><FONT color=#0645ad>Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.</FONT></A> described bigots with the following quote: "The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract."<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference><A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry#cite_note-0"><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0645ad><SPAN>[</SPAN>1<SPAN>]</SPAN></FONT></FONT></A></SUP></P> <P> </P>
  • Chris, I think that you should re-read the definition of bigot that you have posted. The part about intolerance of sexual orientation in particular.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">What I think Chris has inadvertently highlighted here is one of the big problems with our 'democracy'. That of the link between organised Christianity and Government.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">I see no problem with our representatives in the House of Commons passing a law to allow gay marriage. Whether religious groups decide to allow these ceremonies to take place in their centres of worship is entirely up to them...</div>
  • I think by calling for gay marriage, homosexuals are just inciting people to be prejudiced against them.They have got civil partnerships,something i disagree with as i think it encoruages gay people to adopt children.   Elton John and the like who adopt kids are just being selfish and setting up kids for bullying and a childhood with no mum.These people are so selfish to put their own selfish needs in front of kids needs.miss annie - i am not being intolerant of gay people i am standing up for the rights of children to have a mum and dad... and not just a dad and a dad or a mum and a mum.Christianity - get the bishops out of the house of lords and ban prayers and hyms from schools - kids dont need to be brainwashed by christianity at school.Christians however believe that gay people should not be married as it is not what God wants and that homosexuality is a sin,so i imagine they arent impressed by lynne featherstone saying she knows better than God by calling for gay marriage.people whho have a civil partnership can get a blessing in church at the moment.I really do think gay people push things too far now and the criticism turns back on them now.
  • edited March 2012
    I agree that gay people push things too far. 
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@ActionVerb f'nar f'nar!!</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@chrisn4 "setting up kids for bullying" Where do I start here? Maybe people like yourself should take all of the energy you put in to your vitriolic homophobia and put it to better use spreading the love. Kids are bullied about homosexuality because of the attitudes of adults like you.</font></div>
  • <P>there are too many thicky,ignorant,immature people on this forum who don't know how to discuss issues...</P> <P>homophobia is an irrational fear - i havent got an irrational fear its a rational fear that Elton John and the like set up their sons ort daughters for a trouble as they are selfish homosexuals...</P>
  • @chrisn4 What trouble are they setting up for their children?
  • <P>"vitriloic homophobia".... </P> <P>it really does make you think that the riff raff element on this forum do talk nonsense sometimes...</P> <P>i am not saying like many christians do that homosexuality is morally wrong.be as gay as you want all day long.... </P> <P>many homosexuals believe that adopting kids is wrong as is civil partership and gay marriage wrong.for the same reasons i am that kids need a mum and a dad to give them the best start in life...would you call a gay person who shares my view homophobic...unlikely...</P> <P>people like miss annie are being thickys i am afraid by implying that i am being bigotted...</P> <P> </P>
  • edited March 2012
    Please can you show us some actual evidence, based on published and reviewed research, that indicates that two-parent mixed-gender families raise better-adjusted children than two-parent homosexual ones?<br><br>From what I recall - and it's a long time since I studied this - the evidence was that large, integrated groups were the most succesful, e.g. extended close-knit families living in proximity or communal child-rearing such as the kibbutz.  Children get the benefit of many influences that way.  The nuclear family (a late 19th century urban development) was regarded as a pressure-cooker that could be harmful even if the parents' relationship was a healthy one.  I don't recall any distinctions being made on the basis of the gender of the parents, but I would imagine there are studies out there.<br>
  • <p>I was not implying that you are. It was a statement of fact.</p><p>You said 'I believe that gay marriage is wrong' this is 'hostile to those of differing sexual orientation' thus bigoted. Unless of course you are gay, in which case I apologise.</p><p> </p>
  • <div>If I had a son I'd be very proud if he turned out like this young man: <br><div><br></div><div><a href=""> </div></div>
  • <P>miss annie,i think you are being thick</P> <P>some homosexuals think gay marriage which leads to adopting kids is bad...as the kids get bullied in schoolyard etc</P> <P>so are homosexuals being hostile to themselves if they adopt this common sense opinion?are they being bigotted?</P> <P>and why would you apologise if i was gay? some gay people are the most critical about gay people as they know what they are talking about from personal experience...</P> <P>arkady - i would imagine there are studies to show that kids bully other kids on the basis of difference - so if a kid has 2 dads or 2 mums theysee that as different to the norm and use it as reason to bully...oh yes and how about thousands of years of experience of a mum and a dad bringing up kids...perhaps that is some evidence for you...</P> <P> </P>
  • Kids bully other kids for any sort of difference from the majority.  That is not a reason for people to have to conform.  It's a reason for kids to be taught to respect difference.<br>
  • edited March 2012
    <div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">I'm guessing I've met more gay people than Chrisn4 and </span><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">I have never ever ever in my life met a gay person who thought that they should have fewer rights that heteros. Plus, the phrase 'i imagine there are studies' should never be used. </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Footnotes. I want footnotes:</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">While I'm here, here's another video to raise the tone. </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div><a href=""> </div><div><div><br></div></div>
  • <p>Women didn't have the right to vote until 1918 (with restrictions), slavery continued until 1833, kids were still sent up the chimneys in the last century. Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't always mean it's the best way or the only way. </p><p>I'd rather see a child brought up by two parents that love it than by one or two that don't give a monkey's. I don't care what sex they are.</p><p>@Mirandola: Footnotes and italics are a winner!</p><p> </p>
  • <P>"id rather see a child brought up by 2 parents that lovie it than by one or two that dont give a monkeys.i dont care what sex they are"</P> <P>again miss annie i think you are being a thicky....</P> <P>because homosexual men are more promiscous than heterosexual couples and they live together as couples for a shorter amount of time due to homosexuals sleeping with many men and the gay couple breaking up...</P> <P>so then the child is left with one dad as the other dad has gone off with another man...the children will always suffer because liberals want to believe in an ideal world ...like arkadys idealised world where kids wont bully...a fantasy</P> <P>any gay man will tell you that homosexual men sleep with plenty of men compared to the amount of people heterosexual couples sleep with you dont need an arkady academic study to prove it</P> <P> </P>
  • In many parts of the UK, kids are bullied if their parents are of different ethnic stock.  Do you think that mixed-race families should also be banned?<br>
  • Not to mention single-parent families.<br>
  • edited March 2012
    @ChrisN4 Thanks for sharing your particular insight into the life of gay men.
  • @chrisn4';s positions are so wonderfully incoherent it's hard to be angry with them. It's like a six year old on Question Time. You know it doesn't make any sense, but bless him for trying.<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana">Idoru and Miss Annie are thick like Ryan Giggs is uncoordinated. </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; ">Plus, I've now got the excuse to post this adorable interview: <a href="http://www.out.com/fashion/2011/01/09/tom-ford-and-richard-buckley-forever" style="font-size: 10pt; ">http://www.out.com/fashion/2011/01/09/tom-ford-and-richard-buckley-forever</a></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; "><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Money quote:' </span><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Georgia; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(236, 87, 117); ">One of the things that always amuses me -- </span><i style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Georgia; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(236, 87, 117); ">amuses</i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Georgia; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(236, 87, 117); "> isn't even the right word, because it doesn't amuse me -- but often, I'm at dinner parties with </span><i style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Georgia; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(236, 87, 117); ">very</i><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Georgia; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(236, 87, 117); "> close friends, straight, and they realize that Richard and I have been together 24 years, and the response is often, 'Wow, you guys have been together 24 years! That's so amazing. I don't think of gay men being together that long.' And I'm, like, 'Why? What are you talking about?' Some of the longest relationships I know of are same-sex couples. A lot of my straight friends have married and divorced and married and divorced in the time Richard and I have been together. I think that preconception, from even very educated liberal friends, that being gay is possibly more sex-based than emotionally based, is surprising and shocking in today's world'</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; "> </span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal; "><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • <P>just because 2 old gays have been together for years doesnt prove anything as</P> <P>generally homosexual men are  more promiscuous than heterosexuals so unsuited to be parents of kids...</P> <P>"that phrase should never be used" -  mirandola are you the language police bossing us around telling us wot 2 do?</P> <P>arkady - politics is the art of the possible - you cant ban people on the basis of race - i wont call u a racist for mentioning this subject - as some of the thickys have called me a bigot for merely discussing issues on here -there are too many mix race people to ban them all and it is not a vote winner...but as less homosexuals and the majority of people in opinion polls want gay marriage banned its more practical..majority of people in uk agree with me on a ban on gay marriage its just the pratts in government like cameron and choona featherstone who muck things up</P> <P>it could have been possible to ban gay people adopting kids but sadly the liberal metropolitan elite took over england from the winston churchill style common sense tories that used to run the countries now kids are at the mercy of the likes of the queen...not her majesty... i mean elton john .</P> <P>carry on... </P> <P> </P>
  • edited March 2012
    Wikipedia:  <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; ">An opinion poll conducted in June 2009 by</span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; "> </span><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus_Ltd" title="Populus Ltd" style="background-color: initial; font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; ">Populus</a><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; "> </span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; ">for</span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; "> </span><i style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; "><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times" title="The Times" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">The Times</a></i><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; "> </span><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; font-size: 10pt; ">reported 61% of the British public agreed with the statement 'Gay couples should have an equal right to get married, not just to have civil partnerships', while 33% disagreed. Support was highest among those aged between 25 and 34 where 78% agreed and 19% disagreed. It was lowest amongst those over 65 where 37% agreed and 52% disagreed. A majority of both men and women agreed but support was higher among women (67%) than men (55%). On voting intention, 73% Liberal Democrats, 64% Labour voters and 53% Conservatives agreed that gay couples should have the right to marry.</span><sup id="cite_ref-42" class="reference" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 1em; "><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_Kingdom#cite_note-42" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; white-space: nowrap; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">[43]</a></sup><sup id="cite_ref-43" class="reference" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 1em; "><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_Kingdom#cite_note-43" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; white-space: nowrap; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">[44]</a></sup><p style="margin-top: 0.4em; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; margin-left: 0px; line-height: 19px; font-family: sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">A poll conducted by Angus Reid in July 2010 showed that 78% of people supported either <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage" title="Same-sex marriage" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">same-sex marriage</a> or <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_union" title="Civil union" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">civil union</a> for gay couples, with 41% opting for <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage" title="Same-sex marriage" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">same-sex marriage</a> and 37% opting for <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_union" title="Civil union" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">civil union</a>. The amount of people who supported no legal unions for gay couples decreased by 3% since August 2009.<sup id="cite_ref-A_Third_of_Americans_Favour_Same-Sex_Marriage_44-0" class="reference" style="line-height: 1em; "><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_Kingdom#cite_note-A_Third_of_Americans_Favour_Same-Sex_Marriage-44" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(11, 0, 128); background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; white-space: nowrap; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">[45]</a></sup></p><div></div>
  • edited March 2012
    Just to confirm, Chris: you're saying that banning inter-racial relationships to prevent their children being bullied is right in principle, but impracticable?<br>
  • <P>"Silly boy"</P> <P>Dad's Army.</P>