Virgin Broadband randomness

Comments

• Would be more impressive if BT could spell 'impressive' correctly!
  • The last sentence was me I can't type !
  • Sorry! Thought you'd copy/pasted from what they sent you. 
  • Yea, right "BT Hotspots". Those are the things my iPhone latches onto only to be told there is no internet access. I spend my life going to settings to "forget network". <br>
  • I supposedly get free BT Openzone wifi as I'm on Vodafone. In the 2 years that I've been with Vodafone, I've never once found / managed to connect to BT wifi. Meh. <br>
  • BT FON can hum.<br>
  • So our new virgin 'super' hub arrives on Monday, allegedly with the 60MB speed increase, even though they're not rolling it out until Feb. These guys run a messy ship.<br>
  • For £7 a month more I can go from 30MB to 100MB. But is their 100MB service any more reliable? And do I even need 100MB?! <br><br>Possibly I need another flat, and I've heard that they automatically sign you up to a new 1-year contract when you move. <br>
  • No you don't need a 100mb connection and no it wouldn't often get near that speed. That would be my best guess.
  • Thanks for the reality check! :)
  • Well the superhub arrived on saturday and we just plugged it in.<br><br>We do have a 60mb connection now, it's really fast.<br><br>All is forgiven Virgin! For now anyway.<br><br>Surely it can't just be us though, get on to them if you're local...<br>
  • Does anyone else get the impression that Virgin uses the same definition of "good service" as TfL does?!<br><br>After reading some other threads on here, I'm starting to wonder if somehow all the fried chicken shops in the area are interfering with VM's attempts to provide a service.... ;)<br><br>Update: apparently VM will be taking 4-5 days to fix the latest set of mysterious problems. How's BT working for everyone these days?!
  • BT is great! As usual.
  • My brother has the 100mb connection and says it's fast, but he rarely gets anywhere near that.  I only have the 10mb connection, and as I very rarely even get 1mb, I asked Virgin to come and look at it.  They gave me the new super hub, and at 10am on a Saturday morning when it was installed, I was actually getting just over 10mb.  However, at the times when I actually want a good speed, ie. in the evenings, I'm still getting on average just under 1mb so only a tenth of what I'm paying for.  
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Notice a nice big BT Infinity  cabinet has been installed in Lorne Road  and there is also one in SGR neer to the florist  so it should soon be possible to get that service instead of Virgin. Yourview when it comes along in October will give you most of what you get on Virgin</font>
  • virgin were laying new cabling through florence road on saturday. i get my new 60mb connection next saturday so fingers crossed all will be getting a lot better soon<br>
  • I've had BT infinity since 2010, it's really, really good.
  • <p>Hi All,</p><p>how are you getting on with your Virgin broadband nowadays? </p><p>In Victoria Road since 1st July we are experiencing randomness in our service that had been flawless before. 2-3 times a week the router drops the connection and is not able to pick it up for 4-5 hours. I have called Virgin at least 5 times about it, last time they swore they'd fix it for good. Well, they didn't. I'm tired of calling customer services because the guys picking up the phone can barely speak English so they don't fully understand my complaints just that I'm having problems with the connection...  What else can I do? (There's a couple of months left on the contract so I can't leave them just now.) Or who else can I call?</p>
  • Broadband service in the lower east side has been down since 9am this morning. Called Virgin Media who confirmed they are doing works in the area. We could see a disrupted service until the 29th Aug but they hope to resolve the problems sooner, something about changing cables. Got six days refund on my future bill. If still not fixed I will be calling again next week to get another six days. Supposed to be working from home and have had to decamp to the library which has a really slow wifi connection. :(
  • Have just this minute got service back. Increasingly hating Virgin! Found a Talk Talk flyer in a pile of unopened post this morning...any good?
  • edited August 2012
    Our original ISP was bought out by Talk Talk a year or so ago. Our experiences have not been good. Performance is ok but if anything goes wrong - e.g. there's an outage - then you're in the hands of their overseas call centres... prepare to enter a world of despair...<div><br></div><div>If you're thinking of Talk Talk I really do recommend that you check out some ISP review/rating sites first... </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • In my experience TalkTalk is awful. Simply awful. When I have a connection it's fast enough, but I don't always have a connection. Trying to get issues sorted out is an absolute nightmare. I hate it. I'm only still on TalkTalk because of extreme inertia.<br>
  • My Virgin broadband has been random (i.e. on-and-off broken) this last few days.  Anyone else suffering from Virgin randomness atm?<br><br>roy<br>
  • @Roy: we have experienced some glitches yesterday, other than that, seems to be working fine (touch wood).
  • edited September 2012
    @Roy: Mine's been down since I got home at 9.30pm. Loving the new firmware (way better interface for router) but can't connect. Can't face phoning Virgin either, though.
  • I really can't face phoning Virgin either :-(<br>
  • I called..... Major upgrade of the local network due to increased demand until 12th October. Expect frequent randomness until then. It would have be nice if they'd communicated it.
  • I think all their early installations must have been sloppy and based on small numbers. I started out with blueyonder/ telewest, which was taken over by virgin several years ago. I never wanted to have anything to do with Branson, who sends me post beginning 'well hi there!' which makes me want to smash things. The virgin service to be fair (and putting aside my deep branson hatred) is OK where I am, Corbyn st, but does go down from time to time and it usually seems to be to do with messy wiring in the local box - so I think that they set it up with fewer people in mind, and can't cope with expansion. They come along and tweak the wiring and tell me it's cluttered, but that usually sorts it out. But clearly a problem at the installation level.<div><br></div><div>But they are also useless about requests to fix things - I have conversations telling them 'no need for engineer, it's working', followed by calls that go 'hello, here I am in corbyn st, I am your engineer, what do you need me to fix?' Shows willing but incompetent and not what I want while on the north circular. (Yes, I am talking about a very recent call!)</div><div><br></div><div>And that's after the unspeakable anguish of actually ringing them. I have done it more times than I care to remember and every call adds years to my age.</div>
  • I called too. Intermittent problems in the area, likely to continue for up to 24-48 hours but shouldn't affect us continuously (ha!) Also, the speed upgrades have been delayed till next spring as the server didn't have the capacity to meet their original schedule. Or something like that. Oh, and I asked at the tube station whatever happened to the wifi we supposedly have at FP, and they said that VM never got around to it. And yet they (some report I found online) claim the greatest use of their tube wifi during the Olympics was at FP station - !
  • should have said, or possibly shouldn't given temptations to fate - over on this side it's fine at the moment, touch wood ...