Dog Fouling Enforcememt

Comments

• edited June 2012
    It's not either dog shit or knife crime, the police are capable of doing both and I for one am glad of them stopping anyone anti-social enough to let their dog crap on the pavement and then walk off. <br><br>I reckon if you're that scummy that you let your dog just crap anywhere and don't tidy up after it, then you're well due a talking to and a fine - much more so that a cyclist carefully going through a park.<br><br>Nice to see Islington cracking down too. <br><br>There is some absolute tosser, or possibly more than one, whose dog must be the size of a bear and lets it dump huge turds all over the place round Stroud Green, both Islington and Haringey sides - hopefully they will get stung.<br><br>Dog crap is far from the most important thing around, proper crime is much worse, but letting your animal shit on pavements, verges, and in the park and not tidy up is anti-social and in my view highly symptomatic of an attitude that society needs a lot less off. <br><br>In my mind it's less like knife crime and more like shoplifting. <br><br>Sorry rant over.<br>
  • dog excrement left lying around is disgusting and i find it hard to understand how anyone thinks it is ok. the council needs to put the same effort into cracking down and fining the culprits as they do with illegal parking. dog enforcement wardens are required.<div><br></div><div>dog emissions are every bit as noxious as car emissions so why not regulate them properly. a good start would be to introduce a <span style="font-size: 10pt; ">10kg</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; "> maximum weight limit on dogs.  </span></div>
  • brilliant. this is the most stupid suggestion ever.<br>
  • A congestion charge on fat dogs sounds like just the sort of scheme to get pound signs spinning in a council's eyes...<br>
  • and who is going to weigh all the dogs?  Is dog shit from small dogs less offensive?
  • <P>Large dogs also have a worse carbon footprint than a car, so we should tax them accordingly.</P>
  • Large people have a worse carbon footprint than large dogs, and as such should be taxed accordingly. A large person owning a large dog is the equivalent of a BMW X5. 
  • I agree there should be a fat tax, and a dog tax.<br>
  • Weren't they talking about this on QI at some point? Not the tax thing, but the carbon footprint of dogs. Alan Davies worked out that if he got rid of all his dogs he could buy a tank, or something. <br>
  • <p>Yes, primarily to do with dogs being big meat eaters. If you convert them to a veggie diet their carbon footprint goes down. It was pointed out that children are more environmentally unsound than dogs but much more difficult to dispose of.</p>
  • I am, while not large, taxed accordingly. The more junk food you eat the more VAT you pay, so obesity is already taxed indirectly.
  • @Helicon So theoretically is a dog, as the dog food has VAT on it, unless for example the dog forages for its own food and eats people, which having seen some of the monster turds would not surprise me.<br><br><a href="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000124&propertyType=document#P129_6443">Geek link: Pet food and VAT</a><br><br><br>
  • Does my cat eating a pigeon count as a carbon offset?
  • <P>Oh absolutely. And there's loads of tax on petrol. So we're paying tax on that carbon footprint too.</P> <P>All we need now is a tax on babies and it's all covered, reproduction is pollution and should be treated as such.</P>
  • Will we be taxing bigger babies at a higher rate?<br><br><br>
  • I haven't got any pets or children; does that mean I can have tax breaks?<br>
  • No, because there's an extra levy on those not contributing to the public purse by having dogs or babies to pay tax on<br>
  • Happy (well, not about having to clean up!) to report that the cats did do a spot of carbon offsetting early this morning. 
  • <P>@Papa L</P> <P> </P> <P>Absolutely... "Congratulations! Here's your bouncing baby boy madam, 8lbs 7oz. At £50/oz that'll be £6,750 please. All major credit cards accepted. Please make cheques payable to the Cameron Greenwash Fund.</P>
  • <P>seems like the council  is acting on this</P> <P><A href="http://www.haringey.gov.uk/www.haringey.gov.uk/dogcontrol">http://www.haringey.gov.uk/www.haringey.gov.uk/dogcontrol</A></P>; <P>get out the dog leads !</P>
  • To polish an old turd. Anyone else noticed how much worse the dog shit situation is getting?<br><br>There seems to have been a rapid escalation in the amount of dog shit peppering our streets and some real scumbag behaviour - ie the other day I saw a hefty turd right across the front of someone's path, there is also a dramatic rise in mid-pavement poo rather than your less offensive but still infuriating wall or tree dump.<br><br>I know there are far worse things in the world, but letting your dog shit all over the streets is seriously anti-social behaviour. I don't want to tread in it, want my daughter to tread in it, want to have to clean it off anything I own, or want any of you good people to tread in it.<br><br>It is also a health hazard.<br><br>So how do you tackle this? Can anyone remember how the successful anti-dog shit scumbag behaviour campaigns worked before - I vaguely remember a big push in the late 1980s.<br><br><a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9832408/TV-presenter-Ben-Fogle-calls-for-a-national-poo-day-over-dog-stink.html">(Seems even London's posher parts are suffering too)</a><br>
  • "I vaguely remember a big push in the late 1980s"
  • I once trod in a big push in the late 1980s
  • See Ben fogle campaigning in evening standard tonight. He is right. Chang
  • When I was a kid dog shit on the pavement was ubiquitous.  I really haven't seen anything comparable to what I remember - but I certainly hope we're not heading back to those dark ages!<br><br><br>
  • edited February 2013
    The days of Richard the Third?<br><br>I would like to see a graphic advert on TV and as a public service video in cinemas and on YouTube.     An ordinary street and some fat guy is walking along on a spring day.   Suddenly he feels the urge to dump.  He drops his trousers and squeezes out a fat, smelly turd right across the pavement in front of someone's house.   You can make that as graphic as the public will stand.    Then he stands up, wipes his arse, buckles up and strolls off, lingering shot of reeking human turd spread across pavement.   Pay-off caption something like 'Would he get away with doing that?  Would you let him get away with it?  WELL DON'T LET YOUR FUCKING DOG DO IT THEN!!'<br><br>Do I get the job?<br>
  • I bet no one would say anything. I have seen human poo on a tube train and here was something in the paper the other day about someone doing it in a play area in park. Somehow respect for self and others, and any sense of shame has been eroded in this country's population and it's very sad.
  • @Krappy<;br><br>You've got the job. <br><br>As soon as I'm in charge, I'll commission your public service broadcast.<br><br>I often wonder quite how moronic you have to be to let your dog shit on the pavement, someone's path or garden, or the park and then wander off. In my mind it is off the functioning social human being scale. Yet so many people seem to be off this disposition (fortunately more than those who would crap on a tube themselves)<br>
  • Can we extend this  to Cats  crapping in gardens specially in my seed beds !