What has happened to SG.org?

Comments

• I know what you mean Siolae and I agree with Krappy.
  • I agree too. I really like this site, especially for information about the area and advice about local matters/ good tradespeople etc.<br><br>I'm not in favour of bans except in exceptional circumstances. That said, I'm one of those people who rarely posts because I can't be bothered to have to engage in endless arguments, and I find the faux identities, needless posturing and wind-up merchants genuinely annoying. I know that this means they have won. <br><br><br>
  • <P>krappyrubsnif - sorry to say this but you are a boring old fart...and alot of the comments you make are boring...</P> <P>i appreciate that you say that you are a journalist and other people on this forum have professional jobs and you think you are superior etc some threads good like sg badge etc...but alot of what you write is just for the sake of it crap and its lame</P> <P>but to be honest krappyrubsnif - you are old - and you are boring - so it would be better if you left the forum...</P> <P>bit harsh - but i am only telling it how it is - and responding in kind to your insults above</P> <P>some of the stuck up people on sg.org live in luxury and think they are superior to others who are poor</P> <P>sensible readers of sg.org will know what i mean</P> <P>a forum is people state their views - then smear others...thats how it works... </P> <P>so f-uck off stuck up twats...how you behave is how england behaves...just act superior and reinforce the class system...thats england</P> <P> </P>
  • <P>some things krappyrubsniff writes are very good and he is probably a good bloke in real life though ....</P> <P>this forum has turned a bit bad recently....</P> <P>and i respect peoples right to be rude and critical</P> <P>i agree it is time for a change...</P> <P>due to the comment i made above i think andy or david should ban me from the forum - its the best thing....</P> <P>carry on</P>
  • <P>i am trying to give up posting on sg.org because you have got to move on in life...</P> <P>but it is quite addictive...</P> <P> </P>
  • <P>sorry for being a cunt</P> <P>being a cunt is bad</P> <P>so i hope i can stop posting comments on this forum...</P>
  • <P>The site got me into the WI too, after years of vaguely thinking about joining, so I share @miss annie's gratitude to Andy & David! Hope you don't close it down. </P>
  • Sorry to hear about the bid Andy, sounds like it would have been (still could be perhaps?) a great project. The site is great most of the time and really useful for helping me feel more connected to the place I live in, hopefully it's just going through a bit of a bad patch and will come out the other side unscathed.
  • <P>i genuinely think that andy and david should close this site down because some local shop keepers have complained to me that they dont like the criticism of some of the stuck up pratts that comment on sg.org have made of their shops...and i dont mean crap junk food shops new to sg i mean shopkeepers who have worked hard over years and bitterly resent coming under fire from journalists who write on this forum and the professional people who write on this forum slagging off working class people who put in a very long shift day after day month after month year after year to sell you products that you want and then reading their shops and businesses wrongly criticised...</P> <P>sg.org disgrace to working class shopkeepers in sg rd and the surrounding area...</P> <P>as i have made my view clear david and andy might think ... ban chrisn4 as he wants sg.org shut down.Quite right to ban me....local shopkeepers and businesses wont be mourning the loss of sg.org if it closes as andy has hinted at...      </P>
  • <P>its not going to come out the other side unscathed as you say eliz...because the nature of a forum is that people state their views then slag each other off...dont you thickys realise that...that is what this is...its not about being nice...its fun though...</P> <P>oh yes and people on sg.org slagg of local shop keepers who work longer hours than you have ever done... twats...</P> <P>hypocritical stuck up idiots....</P>
  • <P>you lot are like school swots sucking up to the teacher sucking up to andy and david as they run this forum...</P> <P>andy and david have got the power to ban you from sg.org so no wonder you dont criticise what they write...</P> <P>its about the theme of authorities who abuse their power ... then dont explain their actions ...</P> <P>like when they kicked off sevlow and slabber without explanation... i dont even like some of slabber and sevlows comments ...its a point of principle that you lot are too gutless to pursue...as you dont want to get kicked off the forum yourselves....</P> <P>its a debate about ideas...</P> <P> </P>
  • <P>facists</P> <P>england was better before you politicallly correct idiots took over...</P> <P>good luck to kids who want to make a political point on sg.org because old farts will slagg off kids on here...</P> <P>kids need to rise up and kick out the morally bloated older generation in england and create a new england...</P> <P>there has been a civil war  in england in england in the 17th century...its time for a new revolution of ideas... </P> <P>because boring old farts have got england and sg.org on lock..</P> <P>u get me blood..</P> <P>england stand up...</P>
  • Ah, this is is sad, yet familiar.<br><br>I'm feeling nostalgic.  My old man is in IT, and I was privileged to gain access to the web in the early mid 90s (1994 I think) back when Compuserve was pretty much the only UK service provider and a tempramental dial-up was the only way in.  This was in the last glory days of Usenet, and I wonder whether many of you even know what that was (or, barely, is) now.  It was a system of discussion forums, sub-divided by the most intricate of topics.  I was a regular on a few of them (geeky stuff like alt.fan.tolkien), and they, like SG.org, seemed like real communities.  Then AOL came along, and the Perennial September (worth looking up), and the internet became a mass phenomena.  A good thing certainly, but the end of the old elitism meant the end of unmoderated forums as a viable phenomena.  Usenet died.<br><br>On one Usenet group I made a dozen or so good pals who eventually met in Real Life (much like SG.org), and even though we are from all over the world we still meet up once a year in one country or another.  For a while we set up a seperate  private online group of our own, but that too lost its mojo.  These things have a shelflife if there are no new people to add dynamism.<br><br>There is a middle-ground between mass unmoderated forums (which can be ruined by a single sociopath with lots of time on their hands) and an email list.  But it does require a degree of interventionist moderation.<br><br>I'm very sorry to hear that the bid failed, it sounds like it was a great idea.  And I understand that our moderators feel disheartened.  Part of it is surely the boredom and lethargy brought on by time and familiarity.  I understand.  But allow me to register a plea, even as a sinner who is under no illusions about the clar fact that he can sometimes be a boreish asshole here and elsewhere:<br><br>You do a good job.  This is a special place, that has facilitated a lot of good work, and continues to do so.  Please don't give up on it.  In the past, and again now, a number of regulars and irregulars have commended your work and your light touch.  All credit to you.  <br><br>I sense that at the moment you can't be bothered to make the sort of intervention that you might have done in the past, and that you're contemplating just walking away.  A number of the old regulars here feel the same, they've told me so to in person, and many of them them don't often post any more due to the current problem.  I'm tending to agree with them.  But it is a problem that you could largely solve with a few clicks.  You'd have overwhelming support.  I know it's probably more annoying than usual to have to do it, as the main problem is himself asking you to make that click and you don't want to give him satisfaction.  But otherwise I don't see this splendid place functioning again, and I'd like to beg you to give it another go.<br><br>With much respect,<br>A<br>
  • <P>arkady you really are a pompous pratt</P> <P>carry on</P>
  • <p>Well said Arkady, wish I could have summed it up as succinctly as you just did!</p>
  • <P>detritus - frankly you are being a total pratt,you dont know what you are talking about and it would be better for you if you retired from sg.org due to the amount of bullsh-t that you spew out of your gob...try and read a book or something or if you cant manage that then read viz or some other comic like the beano or the dandy...you come out with alot of cr-p half the time - but dont take that in a bad way as i think you are ok as are everyone on sg.org most of the time even if they spew out alot of cr-p...</P> <P>carry on </P>
  • Very well said by Arkady and krappyrubsnif, and really sorry to be reminded that of course the biggest victim in all this is Andy, whose hard work isn't getting the recognition and appreciation it deserves. <br><br>It was so great to discover this forum after moving to the area - it's been such a wealth of information, and the main disappointment has been that it doesn't have a stronger sense of community - and also that it isn't more active. <br><br>I suppose many forums are based on common interests which predispose people towards getting along; it's a shame that choosing to live in the same area has no such guarantee. <br><br>Shame this forum seems to have acquired a sentient virus.... ! Though I'm guessing that blocking him would be like a Whack-A-Mole game - it'd only be a matter of time before he's back under a new username....<br>
  • edited March 2012
    No doubt about it ... the site really is excellent. Indeed Andy 'et al', I think you should consider an indication of its local significance that it has attracted its own little nest of trolls. We are learning (its a struggle) not to feed them, and eventually they will go elsewhere. So Andy, please do not get too downcast by the recent turn of events, and stick with it ... with us.<br>
  • oh for fucks sake ban the idiot known as chrisn4<br>
  • u bunch of twats havent got anything to say so you have to just be negative and write the word "troll"...bunch of twats... 
  • <P>thats right ... ban people thats what sg.org have done before without explaining why to anyone ...thats all you bunch of politically correct brainwashed guardian readers know...ban people who dont agree with your views</P> <P>ban other peope who arent like you stuck up bunch of twats</P> <P>at your stuck up posh sg dinner parties you will all be saying how tolerant you are and how much you like diversity...</P> <P>you dont like diversity unless it reflects back the left wing politically correct views that have been brainwashed into you by the universitys that you have gone to... </P> <P>bunch of hypocrits...</P> <P>bunch of cunts </P> <P>not that you give a shit you bunch of england hating left wing loveies...</P>
  • Calm down mate, take break, have a cuppa tea or a beer or something. You're just getting yourself wound up. It's not good for you.<br>
  • Please ban him.  He is poisonous.
  • <p>He is a bully and a ill educated one at that, everything he says is right everything everyone else says is wrong, so what is the point?</p><p>He gets banned and pops up in a new name I know I have not helped but I hate bullies they are scum of the earth. Everyone can see what he is doing and reasoned argument won't work I have found that one out.</p><p>It almost looks like someone having a mental breakdown via the written word.</p>
  • <P>siloe  - thats what people like you want isnt it to "ban" people whoose views you dont agree with...</P> <P>this is the intolerant witchunt that politically correct liberals do agaist people whoose ideas they dont agree with...</P> <P>totally intolerant of other peoples views...</P> <P>disgrace to stroud green</P>
  • <P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">First things first. The forum is great. I talk about it with people that aren't even from here, and its unique because it has active members all contributing something that allows you to interact with others in the community. I laugh at a lot of it, cringe at a lot of it, but enjoy most of it too. I take it for granted, and am completely unaware of the efforts taken to keep it going. I would pay by the way.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">That said, a good proportion of the responses in the thread are massively over the top in my opinion. We have a few posters winding people up, but its an open forum, new people come and go...its down to the users to deal with it. If recent events led to todays funding refusal, then im disappointed that that was a contributing factor.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">Im sorry some of the old guard on the feel that its not what it used to be, but every time new people refer to a clique it exemplifies their point. Periodically a character comes along and “spoils all the fun”. TollingtonTom was a good example as was jaynz. The inability to deal with such people, or to try to try and understand why they are writing what they write is completely lacking. It often feels to me that people who consider themselves to be a voice of reason act completely unreasonably.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">ChrisN4. Time for you to put down the Top Deck and watch sport relief. I hope you’ve pledged a few quid. </SPAN></P> <P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">Not that i think you care, but most of your points could made and discussed quite easily, but i think you prefer to stick the boot into people and antagonise. Its a good sport, for some. But, its a neighbourhood forum, so i don’t think you can ever justify being so angry. If you’ve got something to say, say it better, you’ll get more from it. </SPAN></P> <P> </P>
  • You dont have views thats the problem, you just copy and paste other peoples views.
  • <P>detritus - you are just talking about yourself again as are the rest of the pack of so called liberal bullies on sg.org...</P> <P>good example of a pack of bullies ganging up witch hunt style on one person...disgrace to stroud green...</P> <P>not that you give a shit you bunch of cunts...</P> <P>you lot are a bunch of stuck up posh wankers who slag off working class people everytime with your stuck up comments about local people and local businesses...the sad thing is that you thick idiots dont know you are doint it</P> <P>loads of people read this forum and dont contribute i feel confident that they know what the themes are that i am pursuing...</P> <P>just because some twats that contribute to this forum dont agree or are critical doesnt mean anything</P> <P>people have told me that they read this forum and agree with what i am saying...</P> <P>its just a minority of people who contribute to this readers are much stronger and more sensible</P> <P>the sensible people arent contributing to sg.org they are just reading it and they are on my side</P> <P>carry on</P> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P> </P>