residential parking permits.

13»

Comments

• edited November 2012
    <p>Yes, the 'I have a baby I must have a car' is an odd one. I grew up in this city and then in suburban Essex, my mum was a single parent with two jobs, I have two younger sisters and we didn't have a car (or a TV for years!). </p><p>For once, I agree with you @kreuzkav, the honesty would be most refreshing.</p><p>Re. company cars - the answer would be for companies to have car parks on the outskirts (somewhere easily accessible by public transport like Brent Cross) and make everyone pick up and return their company cars there, in a similar way to Boris bikes.</p>
  • I might add that there are many reasons people need a car in London and it could be about disability, difficulty in getting to certain places as other people on this thread have mentioned.  I think as citizens of a populated city we should try our best to reduce car use as much as possible, but I know for some it is not a choice.  As much as I moan about how awful people can be I'm still very heartened by the way Londoners conduct themselves with such dignity and respect for others. It's triumph of civilization and an encouragement to go on.
  • Surely there's a very simple solution to not having to pay fines, and that's to not do things that result in you getting fined?<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">@PapaL Road Tax (or the Road Fund Licence) has in reality, nothing to do with parking or roads for that matter. Monies raised from the Road Fund Licence go straight in to the big pot at the treasury along with the majority of other taxes.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">The upkeep of the roads is paid for by local councils with money raised from Council Tax. Only the upkeep of the motorways and major dual carriageways is paid for by central Government.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">As for the emissions issue, you're right. It's just another example of those in power using green issues as a stick to beat us with. There is no interest on their part of helping the planet.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I do not own a car but am not 'anti-car'. The whole idea of the Road Fund Licence does annoy me. You can buy a car and have it delivered, the lorry can reverse up your drive and unload. The car is there sitting on your driveway having never touched the public highway but if you don't get a licence for it immediately the Government can come along, seize it and crush it. It's crazy!</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">As for parking charges, why are they so expensive? I can see the argument for having them in some areas, if you live close to the station you need to know you can park without all the spaces being taken by commuters. There is however no reason for the council to charge any more than a nominal admin fee, or, and some people won't like this. Increase Council Tax by a couple of quid per household and issue permits for free!</font></div>
  • edited November 2012
    Miss Annie, if it's my argument you refer to you misrepresent what I said. I didn't say 'I have a baby, I must have a car', I referred to it being closer to necessity than luxury on the basis of my wife's work and family living outside M25 London. If my life was solely contained within London, car ownership would move back in the direction of luxury.<br><br>I agree with Kreuzkav too on this part of his point about car ownership, often it does boil down to: 'look, I don't care, I want a car to go shopping, see my family and friends, what's the big deal.' <br><br>It's spoilt by this bit of class warrior sneaking in though: 'I don't want to have to share public transport with the plebs'. It's the cost, quality, limited reach and dodgy reliability that means people use cars over public transport once they venture beyond the cost-effective comprehensive Transport for London network, not snobbery.<br><br>In the interests of full disclosure, I love good cars and were I to win the lottery I'd have a garage of classics, I like my car and owning it, so yes I am biased, although my argument is not based on this.<br><br>In my view, a nationwide Boris Bike-style car network would be a fantastic answer to the car problem, pick it up one place, use it to get somewhere, leave it at a docking station there, pick another up when you need it. This could dramatically reduce car ownership and get rid of two problems in current hire models: you are paying for and keeping the car while not using it and have to get it back to the same place you got it from.<br><br>I use Zipcar a bit, which is fantastic, but falls down on being as fully useful as it could be due to those two things.<br><br>There is some interesting stuff going on in America though through services like Lyft on <a href="http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21565007-geography-matters-much-ever-despite-digital-revolution-says-patrick-lane">the whole car sharing side of things</a>.<br><br>It would be great to see that here, as due to smaller distances it could work very well for people going between towns and cities.<br>
  • I personally think Whipcar is a genius initiative<br>www.whipcar.com<br><br>It benefits everyone, as car owners rent to non car owners at a rate chosen by themselves, and the insurance is all covered by the umbrella organisation. who take a commission. Genius! . If my car were not an old banger, I would use this scheme to hire out my own car. (they have to be under a certain age) as i use it so little.<br><br> When my  ole banger takes it's final bang, I will be looking at this viability of this scheme, instead of replacing my car. <br><br>I agree on the boris bikes, I dream of an Amsterdam style London. Unfortunately the roads are still treacherous out there. My own son's bicycle was mowed down on the corner of Endymion and Wightman last year. He was pushing it on the PAVEMENT !!! The wheels of a huge lorry mounted the pavement and crushed the front wheel of his bike. Although he could describe the lorry  in detail a big yellow and blue one..probably from  ikea) and knew the exact time, the police were disinterested, because my then 14 year old son was still alive and uninjured !!! <br><br>He was pushing the bike on the pavement because I said he was not allowed on the road until he did cycle training, as i thought it was too dangerous (oh the irony!)<br><br>I have had many near misses myself.....usuallywhen cycling in bus lanes. Bus drivers and taxi drivers seem to be the worst offenders, so while I am atotal believer in bicycle for getting around wherever possible, the infrastructure in london  is  still very very inadequate, unfortunately.<br><br>
  • How ridiculous is this ? I have just received a  postal reminder  from Haringey council for my residential parking permit renewal....dated 29th October (my permit expired on 13th!!!!) <br><br>Well in the light of this, I think the result of my appeal is now a foregone conclusion, although i daresay they will refuse it the first stage and I will have to go to stage two. <br><br>What a total waste of  everyone's time and energy. <br><br><br>
  • Wow, this escalated quickly
  • You missed out there Andy!<br><br>Always a guaranteed row when parking raises its head. A lot of boxes ticked on this one.<br>
  • just an update to let you all know my two parking penalties have been cancelled. surp[risingly as i expected to have to go to a second appeal. Interestingly my neighbour told me yesterday that he received his reminder on the actual date of expiry....slightly better than the one i received ....two weeks after it had expired !<br><br><br>
  • edited March 2013
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal</o:Template> <o:Revision>0</o:Revision> <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime> <o:Pages>1</o:Pages> <o:Words>351</o:Words> <o:Characters>2004</o:Characters> <o:Lines>16</o:Lines> <o:Paragraphs>4</o:Paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>2461</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>11.768</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG></o:AllowPNG> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotShowRevisions></w:DoNotShowRevisions> <w:DoNotPrintRevisions></w:DoNotPrintRevisions> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin></w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--StartFragment--> <p class="MsoNormal">Has anyone had any luck appealing a penalty charge notice when they’ve got one (or three) through moving between zones.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>I don’t see how you can help but not get a ticket when moving between Haringey’s CPZ’s.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> Haringey’s website says when you move between zones you can’t use the resident’s permit for that zone any longer, so somehow you’re meant to get one for the new zone immediately to comply with their regulations, or you have to find somewhere else to put your car.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>The website instructs you to inform them of when you’re moving and scan in a proof of new address (hard to get before you’ve actually moved to the new place).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>After doing this, a completely unhelpful email is received on how to apply for visitors’ permits as opposed to a resident’s permit.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>This exercise is a total waste of time since upon telephone enquires you’re told to just go to Tottenham and queue up bringing the old permit and proof of address which you had already scanned and emailed, and a payment of £10.30 (for what) leaving your car with no permit on it or in a parked in a place with parking restrictions which match the time you will be away queuing in Tottenham.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>You can put it in the post, but my one experience of this, is that they lose it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>I think if you’re working and trying to move house, the last thing you have time for is queuing up in Tottenham for half a day and it’s unreasonable that this is expected.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>There is one person in the parking services department who can take the payment £10.30 over the phone.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>His name is Colm Campbell and then a permit can be issued and sent out.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span></p><p class="MsoNormal">In order to best comply with Haringey’s parking regulations, before this hard won permit was received I decided to park outside my house, with a note on the car saying I had moved between zones and was in the process of applying for a new permit.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">     </span>It may have been possible to put some visitor’s permits on the car which I had got from a neighbour, but the number would have mounted up.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>In addition Haringey stipulate that visitor’s permits are only for use by house callers to the householder who has given out the permits.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>It is the responsibility of the householder to ensure that they are not used by the caller after they've stopped calling.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal">Anyway I don’t know if it’s worth bothering with the above explanations<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> in preparing my appeals.  Maybe I should just go with the </span> ‘I’m going through the menopause, and I forgot approach’.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">               </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p></p> <!--EndFragment-->
  • I'm pretty sure you can get a two week permit for instances such as this.  It may have changed since I moved to Stroud Green, but I was able to go the parking services department and be issued with one just with proof of my address as I was still waiting for my car documents to come through. The rules may have changed since then though, but it's worth finding out.