Stroud Green Olive Oil

13»

Comments

• Refills! To @vetski and anyone else anxious for a refill. I have just a few litres of the golden liquid left. I'll be happy to do cut price refills (£4.50 the 250ml) for anyone who cares to bring their empties to SGOO headquarters in downtown Stroud Green. Please send a private message for the address and to make a time. They will be strictly rationed and I'll be requiring evidence of class status ;-) Sad to say they will be the last supplies until the autumn - 2012 was a poor olive harvest and there isn't much decent quality oil available. And anyway it is quite time consuming and I have a lot of other commitments this summer. I might be prepared to change my mind if I could get help labelling and bottling and marketing...maybe in a kind of fun UK-Italy twinning arrangement...but I can't see it as a going concern. Doing market stalls is a lot of fun. I'll tweak my business plan and maybe give it a more social edge, and be back in November with a relaunch of 'en primeur' new season SGOO, tastings and events.
  • You have been messaged. Hope WI membership card will be satisfactory as proof of status!
  • Phew, am all stocked up with SGOO. Thanks, @krappyrubsnif!
  • edited June 2013
    In reply to all the many enquiries I'm getting about availability of SGOO - I'm afraid the news is not very good at the moment, but yes, it will definitely be back.   I've just spent a week in Italy but I was attending a conference and didn't have time to go prospecting for oil.    I did recover 17kg of my own last year's oil from storage at t'mill, but couldn't get it ready to bring back on time.<br><br>The next opportunity to bring any oil back will be in August/September.   I could really do with a collaborator so if anybody is interested in fostering rural Italy-Stroud Green links and relations for oil purposes then let me know.<br><br>The good news is that I have found a local extra virgin 'oil sommelier' who could well be persuaded to visit London.  I will definitely be arranging some oil tastings and events, and will be looking into the idea of doing bigger bottles and trying a new business plan, as well as the little Xmas gift bottles, and maybe looking to hire a school-leaver to help with labelling, but all that may have to wait until new crop 'en primeur' time in October/November.<br><br>I really enjoy being involved with real extra virgin oil but I can't really afford to spend too much time on a non-profitablke businesss - all the same it will definitely be coming back somehow or other.   I'm really chuffed with all the positive feedback, not only from individual fans but also all the various shops and greengrocers who are constantly being asked for it.   In fact two more local shopkeepers have asked for it in the last month.   I'll definitely make sure that everybody who wants some will get it as soon as it's possible, so watch this space!<br><br><br>
  • In terms of moving the oil back here, have you considered Loadup? It matches scheduled lorries with some space with ad hoc loads, at pretty good prices. We paid someone we found via it £50/50kg to move a load of stuff to Europe.
  • edited June 2013
    @vetski - yes, I've found several on line trucking companies who will bring it back and the going rate for olive oil seems to be £1 / litre.     The one I last saw was anyvan.com.  It makes it a lot more affordable.  It's in my business plan!<br><br>@Arkady - should I trust someone with a hat like that?  Let's have a drink - I might be able to find a rather tasty Pecorino Terre di Chieti 2012 <br>
  • edited June 2013
    @Krappy: I have recently been sporting an Ecuadorian panama, which I purchased for my recent trip to Istanbul.  Would that be more suitable?  I wore it with a full linen suit for the stag do I attended there, and although I was accused of trying to sell people canned fruit (Arkady say yes!) I thought I looked rather dashing.  Is that more appropriate?<br><br>A long weekend of hard labour in the sunshine could be fun, as could drinking your pecorino.  I just googled pecarino - cool story.<br>