The New Old Dairy

edited February 2007 in Reviews
Does anyone have any information about the New Old Dairy?
I've heard it will re-open as a gastropub and it is 'part of a chain that owns a pub in Camden called the something Tavern' (though not the Lock Tavern I believe).
Either way the really manky old chairs they are flogging in the meantime seem extortionate to me.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Unless you move a bit upto Kentish, Tufnell or Chalk Farm and claim it as _"something Tavern in Camden"_, I don't think there is one if its not the Lock? Gastro's in Camden are pretty limited, and dubious even when they're claimed to be! _(Maybe Junction Tavern on Fortress Rd, got Gatro'd last year...?)_ What I do know about the Dairy is they toned down their sports action the last few weeks before closing. Pedro and I went in the last few weeks for a match, only to be referred to the Larrik. That on its own smells a bit gastro to me. Not that I mind Gastro, just why else would you ditch the sport that draws your main crowd on a sunday evening? they seemed to be turning business away while it was almost empty...
  • edited 12:56PM
    If New Old Dairy = Gastro Pub then The Noble = dead ... surely there`s not enough trade to support two?
    Good point. But then, I'm not convinced The Noble has a long future ahead anyway. I've been for a couple of pints but somehow i just don't seem to go there.
    I didn't even know the Dairy was closing until I walked past yesterday. What was wrong with it, apart from the fact that the food was awful and it costs £3.10 for a pint of Kronenbourg? Not another gastro purleeese :(
  • The last time i went in there was a few weeks ago when they seemed to be having an open mike session of very mixed qaulity.

I take the point about another pseudo-gastro pub (look what happened to the Big Sofa when they tried it) but I could do without someone banging out "I will survive" at the top of their voice while I'm trying to have a pint with a friend.
    I was trying my best Richard! ;)
    Looks like a pretty big refit, having walked past it yesterday. Reopens on the 22nd feb according to the old dairy myspace page.
    They are selling off furniture in the window ... everything must go!
    all our longest threads are about pubs. make of that what you will. i keep seeing people in local pubs and thinking 'i bet that's one of ours'
    Can someone design a printable badge, say a green square, for instant recognition, or perhaps we could go with some sort of hanky code.
    A while back I remember seeing someone with a badge saying 'I love (heart) Stroud Green Road', not sure where they got it from. Hmmm hanky code (especially if coloured) could be misinterpretted...
    I had a look at the menu outside the New Old Black Dairy today.

Ham, Egg and Chips for £6.95 anyone?
  • edited February 2007
    Went in there for a pint tonight before going elsewhere. Its done out nice, lots of lampshades and plush type ideas going on. Staffing was wierd, there was about 30 people in there and I think I counted over 10 staff. They we also almost too polite and eager to serve. I suppose they'll get better at that bit once it settles. I actually thought the food didn't seem too expensive, was a good list with mains averaging around £10. Haven't eaten there so can't comment but the menu was reminiscent of say The Lord Stanley in Camden for anyone whose been there. A stew, a risotto, that sort of thing. The sport has definately been dropped, all the TV's and the big screens from before are gone, there is one flat screen in the corner but I reckon it won't be used much. I get the feeling it'll do a good sunday roast, but could always be unpleasantly surprised I suppose. All in all its still the same pub really, just poshed up a little bit with what at least read like a better kitchen going on.
    Ate there last night and it was... fine. Nothing spectacular and they are quite obviously still finding their feet (espresso machine broken, some of the wines not in stock). I think I'll try them again in a month or two and see if it's settled down. The pub itself is looking nice though and they've made the back room look much better than it used to be.
    I ate there on Monday and I agree with the above: I'm vegetarian and it was a bit disappointing for me. Still, it could just be confirming the old adage 'never eat out on a Monday'!
    Shame on the food. Am gonna go try it on Friday I think.
    I haven't been yet. I'm waiting for the second week when they've worked through the teething trouble
    I went in a couple of days ago just for nose around. a very friendly member of staff jumped out from behind the bar and gave me a guided tour. It looks very nice but I'm not sure that having approx. 50% of the pub as a dinning room/area is sustainable........i.e. wine glasses laid out on tables like a restaurant.

time will tell but I think it will evolve (or devolve depending on your opinion) to meet local customer's demands.
  • edited March 2007
    Was the very friendly member of staff a scottish chap?
  • edited March 2007
    We went in for a Sunday roast last, erm, Sunday. It was OK but not great, a bit pricey at £12, so really its just a bigger, slightly better situated Noble. The real scandal is that they've got the Parsnip/Roast Spud ratio all wrong. Regardless of whether you prefer one or the other, as far as I'm concerned the Parsnip count should never, ever be greater than the roast spud count. Ever. What's up with that? Surely parsnips aren't that much cheaper to farm out than spuds?
    Went there last night for a quick one. It was sort of fine. The menu didn't grab me much and the veggie choice was ok. The refurb is nice (not sure about the chandeliers though). "Like a Big Noble" is a pretty accurate description.
    Hi, no the friendly member of staff was a young english lady.
  • edited March 2007
    I had Tuna & Chorizo stew there yesterday. Wasn't crap but it was far from brilliant and I didn't feel too good afterwards when I got home. All the chandeliers in the world won't make up for that.
    "All the chandeliers in the world won't make up for that." could almost be your catchphrase.
    it wasn't the chandeliers that bothered me (although a bit last season?) it was the little frilly lamp shades on the wall lights! Reminded me of sitting in an old people's home. Still, they do seem to have sorted out the air conditioning - that or not as many people smoking!
    Am I the only one who wonders why on earth anyone would choose to order a stew with tuna in it?
    Went for a quick drink last night. Menu looks pretty 'meh'for 12 squid a throw-ish. Especially with the plethora of cheap goodness nearby.
  • edited March 2007
    It was a Tuna Steak on top of a stew like bunch of veggies and stuff, not a stew of Tuna if you see what I mean. I had it once at the Lord Stanley in Camden and it was gorgeous. This wasn't really the same experience.
    Phew, I did wonder.
  • LizLiz
    edited 12:56PM
    Mills - nice use of 'meh'. I think it's a first for SG.org.