Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• <p>To add to Stella's comments about cyclists jumping red lights. They regularly do it (ironically) at the cycle crossing outside Whittington Park. One time I nearlly hit a guy, I shouted (politely I thought) 'watch out!' he replied: 'fuck off.' I was laughing for about five minutes afterwards. What a reaction, what a world we live in.</p>
  • Death wish cyclist behaviour at the crossing from Evershot to Fonthill Rd over Tollington Park: when the lights turned the car in front of me started to turn left - of course; it's a left turn only junction. The cyclist waiting next him at the lights decided to ignore the left-only sign and go straight on. Not surprisingly, he nearly went under the car; a lot more surprisingly, he was furious with the car driver and shouted at him for the near miss. What on earth did he expect? If you're a cyclist wanting to go straight over at that crossing get off and wheel the thing ...<div><br></div><div>And on entitlement ... well, I barely even remember the first couple of years of motherhood because I spent them in a shattered trance of sleeplessness. I daresay I irritated quite a few cars and pedestrians, but I can promise it wasn't because I was feeling superior ...</div>
  • As I said, I do jump red lights, but only if I don't endanger anyone by doing so. Rushing past a bus at a busy pedestrian crossing screams incident. What if you run over a pram with a newborn? Or an elderly lady? I mean any incident is tragic, but those can have a serious impact on small children or older people.<br><br>By the way, the guy who crashed into the other one, who was looking for a witness, just drove off. The man was left with a broken arm. What an arsehole do you have to be to not even stop and take care of the person you hurt with your inconsiderate behaviour?<br>
  • Kate: :-)<br><br>It's not all of them. Some, though, see you, and still push their pram into the roads. Seen it quite a few times. <br>
  • Re: red light. Motorists are supposed to stop behind the painted boxes with bicycles in them.
  • I'm actually not too concerned with that. Only when there are many cyclists in the lane, then I'd be upset. Other than that. If here's one or two cyclists, gee, I don't really mind if a car's in that box. As usual: matter of common sense. <br>
  • The point of the box is that it lets slow cyclists get away before cars and so become visible to cyclists. Motorists who don't respect it encourage cyclists to jump red lights because moving first is safer.
  • I am back in the saddle after a 7 year break. Day3 of the commute complete! there are so many more cyclists on the road than back then- sure I am very annoying as I am significantly slower than EVERYONE else! ay 1 on Sunday was a dream, weekdays a complete contrast.... I am relieved when I get to Regents Park....
  • I've just started cycling to work too! So far I've had no issues, with drivers and other cyclists being very considerate. <br>
  • Tordie - it's the weather that is bringing out the cyclists. When I cycle in the winter it's rare for me to see more than one or two other cyclists.<div><br></div><div>Cars parking in the cycle zone is actually considered jumping the red light. Don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted for it though. Motorbikes and mopeds seem to think they can park in this. They can't. Motorbikes are so dangerous.</div>
  • Tordie: Welcome to the biking club. :-)<br><br>I've just picked up my brand-spanking new Viscount Aerospace frame in ruby red. Of course the fame's 40 years old, but was looked at, then powder-coated and has a new bottom bracket fitted as well as new (old) decals. My very first proper restoration project. Man, I'm chuffed. <br><br>Sorry, off topic. <br><br>I think cyclists and motorists would get along much better if they kept their calm. I know I need to calm down, as I can swear like a pirate if someone pisses me off, or puts me in danger. I'm also rather annoyed when a car behind me honks, or overtakes me, impatiently, just to hit the brakes at a traffic light or whatnot. So silly. If you're in a rush, let the car at home and get on a bike. I'm sure you're quicker through the city then. :-)<br>
  • edited September 2013
    Yesterday, I discovered the scariest thing in London when cycling: bollards that just jump in your way--particularly those you're passing every day.<br><br>On my way to work, I turned the corner I turn every day and, the moment I did, I knew it's the wrong angle, but because I was too tired, my body didn't react to my brain's assessment of the situation and WHAM! I crashed right into one. They do what they promise: they slow you down. Significantly. The result are bruises everywhere and a fractured hand. <br>Yet, I cursed public transport on my way to A&E in the afternoon (I was still hoping it may be sprained), and was glad I only got a splinted bandage and was allowed to cycle. That, I did on my way home in the evening. That's two weeks of cycling at a slow pace and extra carefully. <br><br>I had, however, a few times cars, with drivers on the phone (!) cutting me off, despite my cycling right next to them. *shakes head*<br>
  • I don't understand about the bollard - what happened?
  • I have made it as far as Clapham on my trusty steed. Very proud of myself!
  • Miss Annie, that's cool!<br><br>I've learned that my beloved Sprint is now ready to go to bike heaven. The impact, apparently, was much heavier than I remember, the frame's bent at the top and down tube. What a sad moment. What I also realise is how lucky I am that I got away with only a fractured hand and some bruises. I shall never go round that corner fast again; I'd like to keep my other Viscounts. <br>
  • Yeh exactly. Who cares? Get the bus. Chang
  • edited September 2013
    I care chang.
  • The bus doesn't bring me from door to door. I hate walking forever to get to my destination. Cycling also whips my arse in shape. :-)<br>
  • I've been cycling to work now for two months and it's been great. I've managed to work out a route that is mostly back roads, but even on main roads pretty much all drivers have given me plenty of space and stayed behind me when necessary. I don't like buses going past me, but even then they've left me lots of room. <br><br>My journey to work is 15 minutes quicker than using the tube and I'm saving £100 a month on travel. I'm fitter and have lost a bit of weight already. Cycling kinda rocks. <br>
  • edited September 2013
    Idoru cycling does indeed rock! saves money, quicker than public transport and you get fit too. Glad the motorists are giving you room :) <div><br></div><div>Motorists: Make Space for Cycling.<br><div><br></div></div>
  • Idoru: Yay! Really happy to hear you're liking it so much. Cycling definitely rocks.<br><br>On another note: anybody else experiencing the reckless driving on Seven Sisters Rd at the crossing of Finsbury Park Rd, across the Park? Drivers regularly drive at high speed through red. Yesterday, I witnessed an almost accident which would have been really bad, hadn't it been for the quick reactions of the cyclist, who braked hard. We had green and the driver almost run her over. When she didn't move fast enough, he tried to drive around her, but was annoyed with my riding (still at green) across the road. I thought he'd stop, but no, he needed to drive through. That was two cars yesterday. Had I not been in pain with my hand and my left leg, I'd got off my bike to take a picture of the number plate and report him. <br>
  • I can't believe people are scared of cycling.  Only twenty people die a year in London.  Your chances of being killed a year are probably 25,000 or more to one considering 500,000 are regular cyclists.  Your chances of being killed from cancer and other common death threats are probably 1000 to one a year.  Get a grip. <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • I got knocked off the bike AGAIN yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that Miss Annie is trying to kill me by hiding magnets in my socks to attract passing cars. Thats the only logical explanation I can come up with.
  • Do you cycle Kreuzkav? Not much frightens me but cycling in central London does. One mistake by either a driver or myself could end up in instant death. It is frightening on the roads at times make no mistake about it.
  • @ Detritus.  Sorry to hear about your latest incident.  You seem to have such bad luck when it comes to cycling.  It defies logic.  Maybe there's a conspiracy against you. Some people weren't meant to drive, some weren't meant to cycle?
  • You might be right on that.
  • @ Detritus.  I didn't see your other question.  I cycle and love it.  I've done it all my life.  It's first nature rather than second nature to me.  If I were a cowboy I'd have a horse, but I live in London so I have my trusty bike.  <div>On a serious note I understand it can be dangerous and I avoid main roads as much as possible, don't pass heavy vehicles including moving vans on the inside.  I get the impression you've driven a car or other vehicle from a young age.  I think that often influences people's feeling of vulnerability.  I find a bike is freedom.</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm fine hurts a bit but I bounce back.