Rub - Slow Food & Milk Bar

Comments

• If Crouch End [with all its intellectuals(?) and actors, no doubt with plenty of time on their hands] couldn't support an independent bookshop, I wonder if SGR could manage it.  There's already New Beacon Books? Could SG support two bookshops?<br><br>
  • <P>I couldn't get over how expensive Ceviche is. </P> <P>I always like to get my ceviche fix from Tito's in London Bridge - quite delicious and much better value. Ask for a double portion as a main (it's a starter on the menu) with lots of choclo and see whether they'll do you a shot of tiger milk with some pisco - mmmmmmm.</P>
  • edited August 2013
    I like Rub.   I like the unpretentiousness of it.   <div><br></div><div>Jerk chicken is one of my favourite dishes and I've tried and made a lot of it.   I thought Rub's version was fine, tasty, with not too much heavy sauce, which is what you get in other places along SGR.   I thought some effort had been taken over devising the recipe for the marinade, working out the time the meat should sit in it etc.   I liked the cinnamon plantain as well which was a bit different.  A take away portion with rice and plantain is plenty for two people not pigging out.    </div><div><br></div><div>I couldn't care less about 'getting' the concept particularly, as long as they're friendly.   Places where someone, usually a nervous teenager has to come up to me and explain what the concept is, before they give me the menu, get on my nerves.   Personally I won't ever be sitting in there enjoying a fine glass of wine and the ambiance, I'd use it as a take-away.   Although if I was with a bunch of kids, I'd be grateful for a glass of anything going.</div> I'd like it, if it was open late, after pub closing time, if that was ever possible. I tire of the falafel place by the station
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We like Rub too. Pulled lamb in brioche, and jerk chicken with rice were both lovely (but were served a little luke-warm), as was the spicy coleslaw.  I loved the peanut butter milkshake, and the rum-raisin that my friend had was pretty tasty as well.  Staff felt like they were still finding their feet a bit, but were friendly. I'll definitely give it a second try.<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • <P>I would like to propose a new addition to the menu,</P> <P>Poutine</P> <P>This simple change would rocket Rub to one of the finest restaurants in the UK, and make the owners overnight millionaires.</P> <P> </P>
  • Yes, I'd try it, even though it looks a bit like vomit.   There's something similar in Holland, made with gouda cheese, but with chilli and salad loaded on top as well.    I think any combination of potato and cheese is tasty though. 
  • Just looked it up - yuck. But had the pulled pork with rice & vinegar slaw on Saturday and loved it. They also had a lovely-sounding special of harissa lamb with apricot yoghurt, but sadly I only took one stomach with me!
  • Cheese, chips, and gravy.  DELICIOUS.  Bring it on.<br>
  • Rub have started doing daily specials - I walked past earlier just as they were being written up:
  • You can live longer in health on cheese and potatoes than on any other two foods. Ketchup would mean even more vitamins, so that combo is definitely the way forward.
  • And cheesy bacon chips mean extra protein...
  • Have been wondering what this place was going to be. This review is a bit damning though:<div><br></div><div><a href="http://pickyglutton.com/2013/08/12/rub-slow-food-diner-milk-bar-review/">http://pickyglutton.com/2013/08/12/rub-slow-food-diner-milk-bar-review/</a></div>;
  • Chatted to owner of Hettie Holland (see above), next to Vagabond, opening next week. Seemed v nice. Name of Sarah. HH was her great grandmother(?), a ventriloquist. She thinks the street could do with a shop specalising in nice objects for presents. I'm not very visual, so not qualified to judge, but I thought it looked great inside. I wonder what Miss Annie would make of it?
  • Hello @echoclerk, you'll find that review and a discussion about it further up this thread. @checkski I peered through the window earlier, it looks good so far, a bit like a warmer and less pretentious version of Labour and Wait in Shoreditch. I'm looking forward to having a proper nose about when it opens, did she say which day?
  • Oh how I love Labour & Wait. Excited now.
  • No, Miss Annie, she didn't. I've found her website: http://hettieholland.com/
  • I've never been to Labour & Wait but have just looked at their website - £38 for a potato ricer?? Will enjoy having a pootle around HH though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What? There's nothing on the website. Well, not on my screen anyway.
  • Tap on the headings at the top.
  • No headings display on my gadget, might not be set up for mobiles and tablets.
  • Brilliant picture of ventriloquist. Send it to Sarah Waters. But not at all sure how this excellent ancestor is connected to beautiful scented candles, scrumptious cushions or bits of retro furniture (to quote website).
  • By the way, I know this was a week ago, but what a sentence from Shamroxx:<div><br></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"I want trendy weirdo looking single speed moustache wielding folk away from SG as much as the next man"</span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">There are days when I realise it's just too late to catch up. But what are single speed moustaches? (to take just one of the half dozen questions this raises for me ...)</span></div>
  • Suspect that refers to fixie bikes rather than self-conscious facial hair.  The two often to be found in the same place, however.
  • Annie, the ricer was on L&W's site, not HH. <div><br></div><div>There's now a 'countdown to opening' clock on the website which suggests that HH's website will be open for business from 7.30pm on 31st Aug.</div>
  • My 'What' was in ref to Misscara's comment, I know what she means now. Am well aware of Labour & Wait's pricing, some time ago they had a very plain but sturdy rolling pin identical to the one I use (my great gran's), for nearly forty English pounds. Had to get the smelling salts out. I trust that the Victorian commonsense of the blessed Hettie will be there in spirit to help Sarah keep the prices at realistic levels. I am aware that it's all fripperies and trinkets but no one likes to feel they are being fleeced.
  • Labour & Wait prices are insane, but I love their enamel milk pan, and their glass butterdish, and their welsh blankets.
  • @conformable_kate, I now have an image of a villan twirling his moustach at double speed.
  • Here's a Hettie Holland thread for advance speculation & beyond: http://stroudgreen.org/discussion/4678/hettie-holland