Thai food

edited June 2013 in General chat
I have never tried Thai food (I know, I know), but feel now is the time to give it a go. Anywhere locally that you'd recommend, and what's their top dish? Not too spicy please, I consider Rogan Josh a little too jazzy. Ta chaps!

Comments

• <div>Never had Thai? Always my favourite take-away option.</div>Cats has always been good when I've been there, not been in the Fullback for a while but there's always used to be very good and cheap too.<div>For delivery, <a href="http://hungryhouse.co.uk/silk-maker" style="font-size: 10pt;">http://hungryhouse.co.uk/silk-maker</a> are good.</div><div>Before becoming vegan massaman curry was always my favourite, may be a little spicy for you though.</div>
  • Annie, if you can, take your bloke and your bikes and cycle to Stokey. Yum Yum is really quite nice, though on a more expensive side. Or in Ryan's bar in Church Street. Haven't been for a while, but I assume it's the same. Very good Thai food and reasonably priced, too. Plus, you can sit in the beer garden, which is lovely.<br>
  • Yum Yums is fantastic and they have 50% off the food bill on toptable.com which makes it really cheap for what it is. Really authentic, great service and half price cocktails between 6.30pm and 7.30 pm.<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>s</div>
  • I order thai food from this place and it's good - <a href="http://www.gendanfushia.com/">http://www.gendanfushia.com/</a>;
  • I second Gen Dan Fushia - their tamarind duck makes me very happy. Most places are willing to tone down the heat if it's possible, just ask!<div><br></div><div>Went to Cats years ago (2000-2001) when we had no kitchen and ate our way up & down SGR for 2 weeks, but found it disappointing. Would aficionados recommend we try it again?</div>
  • Cats in SGR, O's in Crouch End and YumYum in Stoke Newington are all very good, although as mentioned above YumYum is more expensive. Much nicer surroundings, though. The Thai food in the Fallback is cheap and cheerful.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2013
    <div><br></div><div>I love Nid Ting on Holloway Road, near Chris Stevens.  Haven't been to Cats for ages, but I liked it at the time.</div>
  • Recommended dishes at these establishments?
  • No, Annie, that's not okay. If you want to try something different be adventurous. They won't serve you fried fingertips. :-) <br><br>Me, I love a green or red curry or fried chicken with peppers. Lovely.<br>
  • I wouldn't claim to be an expert on Thai food but I've always enjoyed Cats. Definitely worth a try.
  • Cats is decent not amazing but I've never had a bad meal there. <div><br></div><div>Miss Annie - My favourite dish is a Massaman Beef Curry unless it's made too salty. I also love anything that is garlic and ginger. </div><div><br></div><div>I had some amazing fish curries when I was out in Thailand last year but I can never find anything like them in London. </div>
  • Nid Ting on Holloway Rd used to be regarded as one of the best Thai restaurants in London, I think it's probably slipped slightly but is still excellent.<br>
  • Cats is good. We get takeaway there regularly and its decent value and tasty food. It's not the best ever, but it is off a consistently good standard.<br><br>It's a nice place to eat in as well.<br><br>Pandan Leaf in Crouch End is pretty good too, O's is nice. Good pub Thai food is always a winner and the Fullback's is pretty good. If you are ever over that way the Churchill Arms on Kensington Church St near Notting Hill Gate is a winner too.<br>
  • Another vote for Nid Ting, reliably good. no delivery though<div><br></div><div>crab cakes, red/green/massaman/jungle curries all good</div>
  • Annie, I nearly always have veggie red curry, but I'm quite inured to spicy food so I don't know if it'd be too hot for you. I think the massaman curry is quite mild, but I've only had that once and was very disappointed. Had that at the Blue Elephant in Fulham. Worst Thai I've had. Would have cost in excess of £100 if I'd been paying. Actually, there's a very good Thai place in Greenwich if you wanted to treat yourself after a day at the market.
  • There's a good Thai place at the Thames, near Southwark. It's actually something like a promenade with different foods. Quite interesting. <br><br>Went to Cat once and wasn't really blown away. <br>
  • If you ever get to Petticoat Lane market, there's a street with food stalls (Goulston Street) around lunch time, which has a great Thai van on four days a week (not there on Mondays, if I remember well, and off to Thailand for six weeks after new year). When I still worked in the area I used to have either their red or green veggie curry about once a week. Still missing it. Better than anything similar on Whitecross St. etc. There's lots of afro fabric shops around there as well.
  • edited June 2013
    <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">I think Gen Dan Fushia is fairly tasty.</span><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">I've been in O's quite a lot over the years, but sometimes I find it a bit generic like noodles with ketchup with pork, chicken, tofu or beef mixed in.    I still like it though. </span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">Last time I was in there, the bloke I was with, ordered something from the menu which the waitress said was 'very, very sticky' and he should order sometime else.   He said he could 'handle sticky'.    She explained it was 'really incredibly sticky' and mimed sticky actions.   At this point we had to try this beyond sticky dish.   Anyway disappointingly when it came it wasn't that sticky, just like thick gravy.   We thought something had been lost in translation but couldn't work out what.</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; ">I think the best Thai food can be cooked at home, particularly Pad Thai or Satay</span></div>
  • Thanks @Marquis, I'll give that a whirl. Haven't been to Petticoat Lane for donkey's years. I'll wager it's changed a bit. We used to go there for a rummage through the fenced goods and knock offs, and then on to Club Row to look at the pet monkeys when I was a kid.
  • edited June 2013
    Cheers, miss annie. It's the one at the market end of the street, opposite the very popular Indian curry van. If you walk all the way down to the Aldgate end, there's also a stall that sells jellied eel (which I haven't tried yet). Oh, and from my female ex-colleagues I know that the portions are a bit larger than what a dieting city lady would want to have on a regular basis, but I understand you've got a big bloke there who can help. The falafel a few yards further is also amazing. Actually, thinking of it, I wouldn't mind living down that way.
  • I like jellied eels, that's Tubby Isaac's I think, but I believe it's just closed after about 60 years or more in that part of town. We used to buy eels in the market when we were out with my grandad. There was a man with loads of live ones in a big tank and he'd chop the heads off while you waited. I imagine parents today would have a fit of the vapours if you suggested doing that in front of children today, but actually we thought it was marvellous - kids are quite bloodthirsty. I am definitely not a dieting city lady. Looking forward to my visit now!
  • I found our one experience of Pandan Leaf very disappointing, and considerably worse than the reasonably-good Thaitanic which it replaced. Fullback is not bad, and I thought Cats was OK without being particularly good. <br>
  • Sadly I think Annie is attempting to kill me as I have serious allergic reactions to half of the ingredients in Thai food.
  • It's not very local, but Busaba Eathai is absolutely worth trying - it's the kind of place to go to with one or more friends so that you can share around 5-6 dishes. <br><br>I went to Cats a few times when I first moved to the area, and found that the food was really good on alternate visits, and kind of meh on the others. <br>
  • I've looked at Busaba Eathai a couple of times but something about it reminds me too much of Yo Sushi, which I don't like.
  • Ah, they don't compare - it's like an upscale Wagamama with smaller (and square) tables with some nice touches. Their pandan chicken is absolutely heavenly; I normally share a few beef and chicken dishes as well as some veggies and coconut rice. They do some of the standard Thai dishes, but I've never tried them there. <br><br>The prices have gone up a bit, but it definitely is good. They've got one in Covent Garden opposite the ROH stage door - plus quite a few others. <br>
  • Never noticed the one in CG - always end up in Masala Zone when going to ROH with friends. Will try Busaba Eathai next time we go - thanks for that!
  • But advice on a very good Mexican place would go down a treat.
  • Mamacita's. But you'll have to go to SF!