Changes in Stroud Green.

edited October 2013 in Local discussion
I have lived and visited this area over the last twenty odd years.  Mid 90s there was a few bars, White Lion (nicer than it is now), Park Tavern, World's End, Faltering Fullback, Finsbury Park Tavern (Twelve Pins), a few cafs, one pizza joint (Porchetta), Ja Krishna, Cats, and a few other restaurants.  Quite like the vibe. I think the Old Dairy in 99 was a good introduction.  Lots of good stuff since.  But I think it's descending into chain or generic world on Stroud Green road.  What's your view?  

Comments

• I think you are right, betting shops, coffee shops and awful supermarkets. I like the vibe it has but even in the short time I have lived around here it has gone down hill sadly.
  • edited October 2013
    Well no, in that every new shop and restaurant that's opened since is independent (I think) Partial yes... Betting shops, Antic pub, Wetherspoons, Costa and Starbucks coming soon. We still have less charity shops, betting shops, chains and franchises than Crouch End - Starbucks, Harris & Hoole, Costa, Greggs, Gails etc and the supermarkets. We also have less charity shops and empty units than Muswell Hill I think SGR is doing ok.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'd still prefer to live here than anywhere else but I look at Hipster bars like Slow Milk and the chains round there like the Mexican place and Chippy and despair. <div><br></div><div>At the end of the day a place isn't about shops but i liked when the shops, pubs and restaurants were sparse and interesting.  Now they're loud and Stroud Green road is a budget strip. </div>
  • I still quite like it, but it seems more and more hipsters are moving here; feels a bit like Stokey 5 years ago. It became trendier and trendier and lost its charm. And it became more expensive, flats and drinks.<br>
  • It started with that faker baker on Tollington, now Milk Bar, what next?  Scary.  
  • Where is the Milk Bar? There used to be a club called Milk Bar off Soho Square. 'Twas good there.
  • Considering that the florist by the post office is up for sale............... Any guesses for what'll take its place?
  • Miss Annie, Milk Bar is by Chippy, a few doors down from the Weatherspoons.  I think it's called 'Slow Food and Milk Bar'.  Everything that is wrong with society.  Disgusted of Stroud Green road. <div><br></div><div>The florist might be turned into some trendy cup cake bakery full of women in in 50s dresses and men  with ironic moustaches.<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The milk bar is called Rub. It does delicious, cheap barbecue food and milkshakes. I don't understand the hatred.
  • Rub is an even worse name. Put me in the stocks please and pelt me with slow food.  
  • Kreuzkav, Stroud Green Road is astonishingly clear of national chain shops. It has more now than it used to, but compared to most high streets across the land it is mercifully free of them. You've cited examples that aren't even chains and seem to have decided that just because you don't like a place's concept it is a Bad Thing.<br><br>Obviously, you are more than entitled to that opinion, but people in many more supposedly blessed London areas, out in the suburbs and in towns and cities across the land would dearly love the selection of good quality independent and interesting places we have round here. <br><br>I am also baffled as to what the other option is for Stroud Green Road, are we angling after more boarded up shops, or a hop in the Delorean back to the high street of the early 1900s.<br><br>I do, however, find your misanthropic verdict on Rub quite funny<br>
  • Wasn't Delorean more a decade before i.e. 80s and early at that?  I'd prefer Stroud Green about 2000.  It's  a topic and was supposed to be funny.  I think the whole foodie quirky culture disguises real culture.  Put me in the stocks and I'll spit in your face 'Jai Krishna', Porchetta....'<div><br></div><div>Life changes and I'm getting on, put me in the stocks and fire foodie things at me.  </div><div><br></div><div>However, somethings are timeless.</div>
  • 1900s<br><br>Not 1990s.<br><br>I didn't mean to have a pop at you, it is quite funny, perhaps you should have named the thread<br><br>'I'd prefer it if Stroud Green was shit because...'<br>
  • Whatever changes about the area, the low drone of vague, non-specific whining will always be with us.
  • <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I'd prefer it if Stroud Green was shit because</span>.... then house prices would go down and so would rents because people wouldn't want to live here
  • <a href="http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-to-let/property-38601739.html">http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-to-let/property-38601739.html</a><div><br></div><div>Look at them, trying to regenerate the place next to Park Theatre - we need crap buildings in the area. We don't need people employing builders, then trying to rent out shops, creating jobs and housing. Fools</div>
  • La Porchetta is part of a chain, there are a few of them in North London.
  • Pak's is part of a chain<div><br></div><div>Does being part of a chain count if the shop here was the first in the chain? </div>
  • There were stocks for sale at a shop in Archway Road a few weeks ago - anyone know when @kreuzkav';s birthday is?
  • We may need to define when a chain becomes bad and not independent here,<br><br>Shall we go with a handful, ie La Porchetta, Paks, is good. <br><br>A shedload, ie Pizza Express, Tesco, Sainsbury's is bad?<br>
  • edited October 2013
    I never understood this longing for the magical times of yesteryear where everything was 'better'. What's the point? You can only live in the here and now. <div><br></div><div>Why just turn the clock back to year 2000, why not further because many people it seems would like to go back to the 1950s and beyond. That would be a nightmare for me (though I wouldn't mind being a time traveling tourist for a visit).</div><div><br></div><div>@kreuzkav - what I think you are saying is that you were once young. Maybe you'd like to re-capture that in some way. I think though, if Stroud Green returned to it's former self, you may have a hard time coping with living here unless you too were able to turn your older self back into your younger version. </div>
  • I think it's just part of the ageing process. Wanting the sports car/motorcycle/trophy wife you lusted after as a child when younger. I am sure in 2000 there were people wishing SGR was how it was in 1980, in '80 there were people wanting it to return to how it was in '60, etc.....
  • Indeed.  Nostalgia and conservatism, with added prejudice against people with different attitudes towards facial hair.  Not nice.
  • @Yagamuffin. So someone lusting after a lower grade version of where they live would presumably be also be looking for an Austin Allegro with Debbie McGee in the passenger seat.<br><br><br>
  • I think the theory that I prefer 2000 because I was younger is wrong.  I think 2000 was better than 1990 in Stroud Green.  I think it was at its best then.  And people are correct about chains.  I think the White Lion was good and it was a chain.  So was Porchetta before the refit.  So was the Faltering Fullback and that's not a chain.   And SGR was horrible in 1990 from what I remember.
  • I think SGR has a lot more tacky places and has lost some of its character.  It reached its pinnacle as a great place to live in 2000. I wasn't that young then.  I didn't like the place when I was a teen.  So the nostalgia theory is fairly lame.  I think it's a great place and I'm lucky to live here.  Just wondering what long term SG residents think?<div><br></div><div>Regarding facial hair.  I can't understand why people grow bushes on their face.  Nothing against it.</div>
  • If there is drug dealing in Pubs as mentioned above the cops should take note and move in for the kill. Zero tolerance Chang.
  • Much as I love it, it should be noted on rose-tinted La Porchetta revisionism that for a number of years before the refurbishment not only was the plaster falling off the grubby orange painted walls, but there were two breeze-blocked up doorways in the middle of the restaurant.<br><br>That might be alright in the latest hot Dalston shopfront bar Best Vacuum Repair Store but it is not such a good look in a restaurant.<br>