Changes in Stroud Green.

13»

Comments

• Why all the hatred for Oliver Bonas, apart from the obvious trying to be cool and trendy anti-middle class snobbery!<div><br></div>
  • I don't hate Oliver Bonas, I actually think it's a nice success story and something that adds to our high streets.<br><br> I also know that it supports small businesses and manufacturers and has greatly helped the growth of one women's clothesmaker that I know of.<br><br>I just quite liked Misscara's new name for it.<br>
  • What about Momo's kebab near FPK train station? Really nice wraps at reasonable rates and I do not believe it is a chain!<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • It's a very small chain - the first one is in Kentish Town.
  • I think by chain people mean shops, cafes or pubs that are nationwide and worldwide. On Stroud Green road I'd say Costa, Tesco, Sainsburys.  Porchetta has four or five branches but I wouldn't consider it a chain and fairly independent. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What Oliver Bonas does very well is identify 'hipster' trends and then dilute them slightly so that they don't frighten the horses - Peter Pan collars on dresses, foxes on everything, putting birds on it - Portlandia style. Joy do a similar thing but with too much pocket money tat so it looks cheap. They sell them in shops which look just a bit nicer than than the average high street shop without being intimidatingly fashion, noisy, dark etc. The staff are nice and the fitting rooms are big. I don't buy things there but it's a good business and isn't any more expensive than Topshop or Oasis. As Papa L says, they are very good at supporting small independent makers too.
  • If I could fit into their clothes and was younger I probably would shop there. Cheaper and better quality than shops like Monsoon (increasingly mumsy), and Zara (tiny), and same price as most of the shops I do like Oasis etc. Maybe it's the boutique layout that makes it seem expensive when it's not?
  • edited October 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The length thing is weird. I'm 5'6'' and half the high street's idea of a work dress is something without sleeves that stops mid thigh on me.
  • Men do suffer a  trendy shop racket too, trousers all made too long in the leg for anyone of average height to that waist size, then the shops offer to take them up for you for a hefty price.<br><br>I know someone who sells through Oliver Bonas and I'm pretty sure they're quite hot on quality. <br>
  • Papa L, where are these shops? I always have the exact opposite problem, trousers either made for short, skinny people or tall, fat people. Nothing in between.
  • Reiss to name one, not that I can afford to regularly shop there outside of a spectacular sale.<br>
  • edited November 2013
    You think I'm an idiot. But I'm so sad.  Over the last week or so I've realised all my ranting is right.  I'd prefer if it was wrong.  This areas is getting worse.  Chain stores are moving in.  And I'm not talking about Paks and Porcheta who have some individuality.  Supermarkets I understand as staples and acceptable but not the newer local branches.   Costa have set up shop and Starbucks will soon. Tower blocks are moving in with retail outlets. We already have a plethora of tacky restaurants...  
  • edited November 2013
    Misscara, I think I'll have to change my opinion as I can't have you agreeing with me.  Stroud Green is going to be fabulous and a slightly more upmarket version of Wood Green.<div><br></div><div>On a serious note my fabulous prophetic powers tell me that by 2020 Hornsey Road  will be thriving and probably going into its post-gentrified state after five years of its honeymoon stage.  </div>