Fireworks: yay or nay?

edited October 2013 in General chat
Since it's almost the time of year again, I'd like to know what others think.<br><br>My view: when professionally done, it's pretty, but if I'd never see a firework in my life again, I wouldn't miss it. Far too much money spent which could do better if invested elsewhere. I'm also a jumpy person who hates those crackers, and, they can't be trusted in the hand of a drunk idiot either.<br><br><br>So, what's your take?<br>

Comments

• I love them, they are like magic.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I love them, the cats hate them. And I'm outnumbered, so...
  • I agree Miscara. When I take over the world I will ban the sale of fireworks in shops. It seems insane that anyone can just go into a shop and buy explosives. I am quite looking forward to seeing the Ally Pally fireworks though!
  • I don't think they should be sold in shops either. But I do like the organised displays. The ones in Cambridge and Blackheath used to be really good.<br>
  • Many years ago, I was at a big event, outside. Someone threw a massive cracker into the crowd. It exploded next to a friend's ear and she had tinnitus for a long while. She's a singer. <br>Fireworks shouldn't be sold in shops. In the hand of idiots it's a disaster waiting to happen and, let's face it, there's plenty of them running about. <br>
  • Fireworks have been sold in shops forever. I love buying sparklers, can't imagine not being able to go and buy them. You can't spoil everyone's fun because of a tiny minority of stupid people - by that reasoning we should also ban alchohol. If you are of a mind to do so, you can make fairly ferocious explosives from the contents of a kitchen cupboard and shed in about half an hour. I live with a physicist, he will happily scare the bejaysus out of you with what kind of terrors people could brew up with peroxide and other chemicals available in Mr Paks wig emporiums.
  • I agree, Internet makes it possible. Sparklers are fine, they don't harm anyone. It's those rockets and other huge crackers that concern me. As I said, they're really pretty when done professionally, but I wouldn't miss them if I would never see one again. And they cost a lot of money, too. <br>
  • I love fireworks like I love Christmas - at the appropriate time. Anyone letting off fireworks before Hallowe'en, or after the weekend following November 5th, is an arse. Any shop selling anything festive before November's last week ought to face a supertax. And so forth.<div><br></div><div>Regarding the making of explosives - back in the fifties my dad and some schoolfriends got recipes from the Chambers enycylopaedia and had an illicit rocketry club in the school grounds. It's not just a phenomenon of the internet age. </div>
  • ADGS, Your dad sounds like a dude.
  • edited October 2013
    I have been making explosives and fireworks from the age of 8, the moment I got access to a lab they got bigger, and when I got access to my glassblowing workshop bigger still. You can make something that will kill out of powdered milk and a few other bits and bobs. It really isn't that hard. Personally I think only sparklers should be sold to members of the public, I can remember standing in the back garden whilst my dad lit the Standard firework box in the 80's and maybe its rose tinted glasses but they were just better. Fireworks and explosives have never bothered me in this country but having lived in the usa and seen the mayhem that uncontrolled independence day fireworks cause I would be happy for all but sparklers to be banned.
  • I grew up in Southern California where fireworks were banned as a fire hazard.  Eventually even the municipal displays in our area were stopped as well (insurance reasons).  So as teenagers there was always someone who went over the border to Mexico to stock up and sell them at school....  <div><br></div><div>I like the ones at Ally Pally but not the home boxes; the cats hated them of course.</div>
  • Standing in the garden in the 70s: they didn't go off, they went off in the wrong direction, the catherine wheels stuck, they only lasted thirty seconds. I think the technology has improved! Or maybe my parents just weren't dudes ...<div><br></div><div>And I like fireworks. At home and in parks - though I do find I can't be bothered to go chasing after them these days.  </div>
  • <a href="http://www.backwithabang.com/">Ally Pally looks like it could be good</a><br>
  • Seems I'm the only one who easily could do without any fireworks. I also hate Christmas; what does it say about me, eh? :-)<br>
  • Me too. I wish it could be abolished.
  • I detest Christmas, it is utterly pointless. All this mock friendship for a few days each year. If I think you're a tosser for the rest of the year my opinion won't change at Christmas. Christmas is just an expensive con.
  • Exactly! I have 365 days a year to tell the people I love that I love them, spend some time together, *and* give them a little something. Mind you, it works a treat on the surprise front. <br>
  • Not a great fans of fireworks at 6:45am! :(
  • Detritus has been adding items to his Christmas list for months now, he loves it really. I cannot understand the hatred of Christmas. As with most things it is what you make of it. I love seeing all the trees, decorations and lights, and I really like mince pies. I like listening to carols, watching Christmas films and having the opportunity to see all the people I love over the course of a couple of days. I like arriving at my mum's and scoffing as many mini sausage rolls as I can fresh from the oven and I love watching children opening presents. I especially like the fact that everyone is guaranteed that one day off to spend together. I don't enjoy the ramping up of pressure to spend money or any mention of Christmas before Hallowe'en. I've been working on Christmas ideas since May but still get excited about it in December.
  • She forces me to behave on pain of pain, Miss Annie might be small but she has a kick like a truculent donkey.
  • I flipping love Christmas. I love fireworks too. My issue with them being sold in shops is animal welfare, not people being stupid. Idiots gonna be idiots whether they can buy fireworks or not. However, every pet I've ever had has been terrified of fireworks and the weeks leading up to and following Bonfire Night have been hellish for them. I can only imagine how much worse it must be for wildlife that doesn't have a house to shelter in and human owners (slaves) to reassure them. And regardless of how many times people are reminded to check for hedgehogs, loads are still killed in bonfires every year. <br><br>I dislike Chinese lanterns for the same reason. Hundreds of birds are killed every year after getting stuck inside and starving to death.<br>
  • That's why I keep iguanas. He just sleeps and can't be bothered about any noise. Then again, he's a very laid back chap anyway.<br><br>Didn't know that about Chinese lanterns. :-( That's one thing I found really pretty. <br>
  • edited November 2013
    Everything should be banned apart from bread water and football. People should not be able to have fun, you work and toil and die. And before you say football is fun I'm a leeds fan so it is a never ending form of punishment. Tv advertising about Christmas should be banned until December 1st any ad executive breaking that rule will have any and all pets put down. If no pets are owned shoot their car. It might sound harsh but when I come to power... If you come Christmas caroling and can't carry a tune don't know the words or look sickly sweet and cute also banned. If you remind people its 63, 62, 61 days to Christmas you should be placed in the stocks. If you smugly tell people thst all your shopping is done 2 months before Christmas you should be excommunicated from your friends and family and made to live as a hermit in Scunthorpe. If you owm a novelty tie, or antlers they should be placed where the sun don't shine. If the government implement the above sensible options maybe Christmas wil be palatable.
  • Leeds fan? You should spend some time with @Dilly';s Dad so you can share your misery & despair!
  • @detritus It's not *days* to Christmas, it's *sleeps*<br>
  • I'm suddenly feeling all positive. I like Christmas, fireworks, Easter, Halloween, and New Year. Bloody hate karaoke and bowling though.