Footy at Old Dairy - own goal?

edited November 2013 in Local discussion
I like sports bars (a lot) but the Old Dairy shoots itself in the foot by showing Sky matches on 3x2m screen with loud speakers all round the place at Sunday lunchtime. I am a spurs fan but no one was watching and it ruined the family meal today (my mum was down ). The adverts for xbox, betfair etc blast out and it is just horrible. They also have music playing ... Staff tremendous (irish guy), food all great - but won't be doing it again unless they change policy. Get a grip OD. Chang

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I rarely go in now and if I do it's not at the weekend.  I've never had problems with being served and I've always found the staff to be polite.  But have noticed an odd vibe lately.  Heaven knows what it's like at the weekend.  But I'll be a bit nostalgic and remember back ten years ago when I used to drink guiness a bit more often than I do now and  short woman with dark wavy hair and an attitude but was so friendly and would insist on bringing the guiness when it settled to our table.
  • which pubs are decent in FP now? Fullback is poor, Dairy good for food only (if pricey), Noble and Fonthill are too quiet and have no atmosphere<span style="font-size: 10pt; ">. I go to the Stapleton and the World's End almost by default - neither are spectacular.</span>
  • edited November 2013
    Luckily my decreased interest in going to pubs has coincided with their decline in this area.  I don't take any relish in this as I think it's sad that the bars mentioned above have gone downhill in the last few years.  I really think this area has suffered from it's own greatness.  
  • Haven't been in a pub in Stroud Green for anything other than WI stuff for a couple of years now.
  • edited November 2013
    Now tell the truth miss annie you don't go into pubs not because you don't drink but because 'brass knuckles annie' the short terror, attacked anyone and everyone who 'looked at her in a funny way' has been banned from all pubs, clubs, bars and back street boxing dens. <div><br></div><div>All this sweetness and light she portrays is just bluff, you don't want to cross Annie as she will come at you belly button hight with a sharpened WI badge. </div>
  • We had a nice autumn evening pint in the Shaftesbury yesterday. I always reckon it's worth the wander round there.<br><br>The Dairy probably does need to tone down the football, rugby etc. but that's what brings the punters in.<br>
  • The Spaniards Inn is great once all the diners have gone. A good range of beers and always a blazing fire in winter , though the only place to sit is the main bar. Get the 210 to the door. It runs till well after closing time so easy to get home too.<div><br></div><div>The Railway (by Finsbury Park Station/Wells Terrace) is being totally renovated and the Worlds End is about to have a facelift. With luck they'll improve their care of their beer too as its virtually undrinkable. </div><div><br></div><div>And the Park Theatre bar is good - no sport of TV but no draft beer either (but some decent bottles).</div><div><br></div>
  • As an aside,<br><br>Park Tavern has ale at the moment. Doom Bar on tap. <br><br><br><br>
  • @Churros The Railway is no longer going to be a pub, Starbucks have taken it on.
  • The Nicholas Nickleby could be a contender, if the bar staff didn't exclaim "Ooo, strangers!" when people walk in.
  • tosscat!  He's aliiiiiivvvvvve.
  • @tosscat, or fall totally silent when a woman walks in...
  • So does anyone want to protest to OD about this stoopid TV obsession? The fact is no one there on a Sunday is looking at the match - it just gets in the way of a nice meal . The staff hate it 2. Chang
  • The staff in the old dairy are too busy looking cool to even serve people.....
  • The Irish skinny guy is a diamond . Chang
  • The dairy has been put in the shade by the Stapleton. Needs to up its game!
  • I've always been served quickly and with a smile at the Old Dairy.  I'm either lucky or cooler and better looking than I rate myself.
  • edited November 2013
    I dined at the Stapleton today.  The place was rocking in the right kind of way, lively, busy, full of young families and children (some kid's birthday), footie on in one room, people eating in the back room.  Food pretty good too and the bill not too much of a shock. Had to wait quite a time, but then it was exceedingly busy.   Excellent beef, worth the wait.   Altogether a nice vibe. <br>
  • The Stapleton has been friendly and relatively busy without being too hip. The Old Dairy football also put me off. We sat in the furthest bit of the pub from the screen, but it just ruined the whole feel of the place. The Noble is on the improve, but their selection of alcomaholic beverages sometimes disappoints me.
  • The only time I go to the dairy is for the football, or for family dinner. It's prefect in there; main bar for footie, back room for dinner. I don't understand the negativity. ..
  • Sports pubs are great but the dairy is NOT one and it is RUINED by thoughtless beaming of loud matches into the pub when ppl want to TALK. So stop it. Or ELSE. Chang