Local garden nursery?

edited June 2008 in Local discussion
We want to buy a few plants for outside our windows, first floor, wondered if anyone knew a good place. Homebase is expensive, Cally Road a little far... a local nursery?

Comments

• edited 8:48PM
    Have you tried the one up at Ally Pally? Not necessarily closer than Cally Road but a much nicer place to spend a Sunday morning...
    Is it open sundays? Is it by Ally Pally or down the hill? I've no idea here...
    Ally Pally is the best. There is one in Camden, but it's not as good, more expensive, and in Camden.
    Open Sundays until 4 I think (there's a website) - get the W3 and get off just before the Pally - it's off on the left, by the bus stop. You could get the W7 and just walk up the hill too.
    It's got a far bigger selection than the cally rd one.
    If you want to grow herbs, the Islington Farmers Market (Sundays) has a stall with a really good selection, and very reasonably priced. I'm also growing strawberries and tumbling toms from his stall from my 2-nd floor window boxes. I even grew some of his lettuces a couple of years ago.
  • AliAli
    edited 8:48PM
    You will get the cheapest plants in London at the Columbia Road Flower Market on a Sunday morning.

It is a really nice hour or so on a Sunday morning, loads of stalls selling just about every plant you could ever want plus loads of interesting shops. About a ten minute walk from. http://www.columbia-flower-market.freewebspace.com/

Why not also go to Brick Lane Market for the best Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese bagels in London http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Restaurant/Brick_Lane_Beigel_Bake/a7e6/ or even A Sunday lunch curry or Spitafields is also quite close by.
  • edited June 2008
    Excellent, thankyou. I used to live in Spitalfields so know the area very well. I used to find the plants at Columbia Road had greatly varying quality - often got the feeling a lot of stuff was what was left after a week in the shops and didn't last much past a few days. Those bagels are great though.
  • AliAli
    I agree you might need to give them a little more tlc but I don't know anywhere else where you can buy a small Olive Tree for £10
    David, are you okay?
    You could also hop on the 210 up to nursery in Highgate Village. Better than Ally P IMHO.
    I'm sorry, but I can't just let this go. I hate Columbia Road flower market. It's always REALLY overcrowded and full of Hoxton twats.
  • AliAli
    I must find out what a Hoxton twat looks like as they don’t seem to recognise them at 9.30 on a Sunday morning, maybe they go later in the day
    We got some bedding plants from Lidl and they survived realy well.