Beer Gardens (smoking ban at the Fullback!)

edited August 2009 in Local discussion
Can anyone recommend some local pubs with nice beer gardens? We were at The Fullback at the weekend and the council have banned smoking in the outdoor area (unless you go upstairs), and it's often really busy.
Thought we might try somewhere new. Wasn't keen on the N4....

Comments

• Not in SG, but the Brownswood Tavern on Green Lanes has a decent beer garden. Also, The Cannonbury pub just opened again in Islington - not been since the refurb...but the garden is huge!
  • edited 5:42AM
    It's the one thing this area really doesn't do very well at all. Shaftesbury has a bit out front, but you're on the roadside. Park Tavern has an incy-wincy one. There's always the Cement Garden out back of the Nickleby. So what's the theory with the Fullback ban? That you're sheltered from the rain so it's not allowed even though it's outside? I'm not a smoker but I really detest this sort of policing.
    The Nicholas Nickelby virtually bans anyone *not* smoking - and has a barrel yard with a couple of picnic benches for that real homely touch.

There are surprisingly secluded seats for smokers outside the Triangle too - and they have a garden at the back but no idea about smoking policy there.
  • I think someone from the council went for a drink at the Fullback (probably a shandy), saw everyone enjoying a drink and a cigarette outside and decided to put an end to it. Did someone say WKD had a beer garden? Maybe you should try there Ferg932
  • edited August 2009
    (As a non-smoker)

Was in the Fullback last night and was surprised at the increased restriction. Yeah it used to be a bit skanky having to walk past the fumes there at times, but didn't bother me unduly, or stop me going to the pub. (The over-fried mixed-starter from the thai kitchen would stop me eating there again though!)

What happens if you smoke upstairs, but under the wooden pergola bit at the very top? Or sit under a table?

Can they ban cars next and all their nasty fumes? Or does that not give Freakazoid Brown any sense of 'doing the right thing'?

Can Lynne Featherstone please investigate the continued restriction of free will?
    The cell at the rear of Rowans is particularly pleasant ; )

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into these!

The Fullback (rather in-sensed after spending all that money at having it redone I would assume) had photocopied the letter from the council and put it on the wall but I didn't get a chance to read it. I assume it is related to the 2ft of overhang from the seating area above constituting a 'roof'. Obviously am not going to abandon it, but would be nice to have some other options. Don't want to have to stand by the road or you have to inhale all those awful car fumes....
  • AliAli
    edited 5:42AM
    Bank of Friendship in Blackstock Rd has a great backgarden
    it's the overhang combined with it being enclosed by walls on all sides, the poor sods are appealing though.
    i read the letter the other day, didn't say much just that it was 'too enclosed'. I wonder what modifications they can make to fix i though..

I do like the new pagoda bit at the top too
    Come on everyone, don't be dumb, it's effectively indoors, ergo the smoking ban. I'm surprised they got away with it for so long.
    Could the all wood construction be something of a clue?!

It's an ingenious design for sure but definitely all wood - the stuff they used to burn, comes from trees - I think.

Would it help if you gave up smoking or does that make you eat wood?
    effectively indoors? rubbish t_c.
  • edited August 2009
    it was vile. really claustrophobic. felt like being in that being john malkovich movie. yeugh.

i agree with ali - the bank of friendship is okay. how about the landseer - not a garden as such, but not a through road either.
    N19 has tables out the front and a nice private drinking area out the back (with a retractable canvas roof). It also has a chair in the shape of a boot and lots of real ales.
  • Hi! I saw the request directed at me 'investigating the continued restriction of free will'. Without investigating - my guess would be that the pub is entitled to restrict smoking wherever it wishes on its own premises - inside or out. And that those who don't like it and think the pub is going too far - have the option of not frequenting the establishment - ie protesting by not drinking there. So - that's my guess. If you want me to write to the Minster and find out if there are any legal limits to how far a pub can go in restricting its customers from smoking - just email me at featherstonel@parliament.uk with details and am happy to do so.
    lynne: the pub were told that they could not permit smoking in the downstairs garden area by the council, given the choice they would allow smoking throughout the garden area.
    Me and some pals went to the Canonbury on sunday. It was £4.25 for a pint of Peroni, so really pricey. It is a very nice beer garden though.
    _"like being in that john malkovich movie"_ You mean having a hot straight-but-lesbian-in-my-mind session with Catherine Keener on the couch? I'm going back out there for another look. Smoking or not. And they can charge me £4.25 for a pint too.
    Hi Lynne,

In this instance the pub has been told by the council it must restrict the smoking!

I'm sure, given the raising of beer tax, the pubs would like to do whatever possible to keep their customers.

injoke says they are appealing....I should think so too!

How do we protest against the enforcement of the smoking ban in an outdoor area?
    i seem to recall the definition of an inside area for the purposes of the smoking ban to be along the lines of "at least 3 walls and some roof". i don't think they've got a hope with the appeal in all honesty.
    Never mind the fact that you can see sky and it is outside. *sigh*
    almost that entire area has roof over it, there's only that little bit where the outside beer taps used to be and the one table next to it that aren't covered.
    It was pointed out that where the beer taps used to be there is now a huge fire hose. Possibly installed by the council in case someone dare light a cigarette : )
  • edited August 2009
    So basically in fully open areas, a bus stop type shelter at best, anything else is _effectively indoors?_ In windy, rainy England that's basically an outdoor ban outside of a few weeks in summer. Rubbish.
    Yes. So, all those cafes on Seven Sisters Road (and elsewhere) which have pulled their frontages inside to create a smoking area have wasted their time, effort and money. Several have recently been served with compliance notices.
  • Well - I'm in Stroud Green tonight - so will pop in and have a look first and then take it from there.
    That would be much appreciated, thank you. To get to it you have to go outside ; )
  • I believe that smoking is banned at most bus stops, as well. If it has a roof on it, you can't smoke. So before you light up, take one step to the left so you're technically standing next to the bus stop.

I'm not a smoker, but this is a bit extreme. I don't mind sitting next to a smoker in a pub, much less in a beer garden. Restaurants, however, are different matter.
    Two quick asides. 1. thanks to Lynne for using the board 2. smoking is bad for you
  • Rules are bad for you.