The Shouting Man

edited February 2010 in Local discussion
There is a man who walks and shouts around Stroud Green every day. He walks purposefully and passes our flat several times a day. We also see him on SGR but always just walking, never stationary. He shouts (I think it's swearing but can't always make out his words) when the street is quiet - the fewer people in the street, the louder he shouts. Does anyone know this man, where he is going, or why he shouts?

Comments

• edited 1:16AM
    Is it the guy who's about late-forties, afro, beard? About 6ft 2? If it's him, he lives on Upper Tollington. Has something to say about Margaret Thatcher and ladies mimsies everytime I overhear him.

Unless it's the 'Arsenal' man, though I think he's more vocal down around Gillespie Road.
    The man with the afro and beard lives on my road. Which is birnam road off tollington park. He goes out twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon about 3pm. He is quite scary when he shouts in your face. I think he has delusional thoughts
  • There are loads of eccentrics who take the air on SGR and if it wasn't an invasion of privacy I would love to photograph and catalogue them all. And find out their stories.

One of our favourites in this house is the Umbrella Man who often walks past my window (short, plump, black, takes a stubby brolly with him in all circumstances....lives on my street.) And what of the Cowboy Guy (stetson type hat, Colonel Sanders beard and moustaches, boots etc) who is sometimes to be seen?

I love 'em all!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2010
    Is he Opal Eye? I think he's rather a savant.
  • AliAli
    edited 1:16AM
    Cowboy man hangs out in the WLM if it is the same person apparently he was Chess Champion at Pentonville the last time he was in !
    Cowboy man apparently is from Montana or some such real cowboy territory if it's the same chap I'm thinking of - and there surely can't be two cowboys in SG.
    The man from Birnham Road often shouts at my other half about The Beatles and admonishes him for his choice of hairstyle. He always looks very smart when doing his rounds.
    I don't think it's the same one, as this one definitely isn't smart. He always wears a black leather coat and a scruffy T-shirt and jeans. He does sound like Graeme's description though. He strides with a limp.
    I haven't seen the cowboy or the umbrella man.
    Cowboy man is usually to be seen on SGR on a Saturday afternoon. You absolutely can't miss him as he is one of the most flamboyantly dressed people on the street -against the admittedly not very stiff competition of people in generic dark coloured leisure wear and denim.
    The shouting man from Brianm road was in the dentist waiting room today on Hornsey Road. Lucky I wasnt waitinf with him
    Shouty man - leather jacket, balding afro.. yeah I know the one. I call him Leonard (not his real name, don't know what his real name is really).

I've seen him on more than one ocassion rolling a rather large spliff.

Always shouts at the dog when I'm walking past him, never at me directly, what's the dog got that I haven't?
    Oh.. does anyone know the bloke who usually hangs around Testhe co and café early in the mornings - about 6 foot tall, glasses like the bottoms from milk bottles?
    Not personally, but he sounds like the one who told my husband that I was a catch and to take good care of me.
  • Are you a fish? If so, pacific or bottom feeder?
    How have I never seen Cowboy Man or Afro Man after 11 years in Stroud Green?

There is another shouting man (Shouty Shouty), who lived on Shaftesbury Road when I lived there 1999-2006. Tall, asian, walks fast, shouts about his passport. Plus a very round shouting woman (What Time Is It?!), but she's usually genuinely asking the time albeit loudly and to nobody in particular, Shouty Shouty has mental health problems.

Plus, we have Walking Up and Down Man & Walking Up and Down Woman along Corbyn/Thorpdale/Eveshot.

He: Dark glasses, white curly long hair, Barbour, stick, boots, can of Guinness, walks very slowly.

She: Short white hair, thin, tightly tied beige mac (no evidence of clothing underneath), sandals or wellies dependent on weather, brolly, charges along at a right old pace, either empty handed (on the way to the shop?) or can of cider in a paper bag (coming back from the shop?)

Both are silent.
    What about white curley haired burnt out acid man who walks around with a can of larger, wears dark glasses and oversized boots. He looks interesting and might be worth a Blue Plaque. Too tall to be Ho Chi Min though.
    I miss the crying lady who had always allegedly forgotten her bus fare. Well, I say 'miss'...
    The lady with the feet - I saw her in the post office and she was very sweet, and I went home and cried because of the state of her feet (and the smell).

I rather admire the UTP walking up and down man's exercise regime.
    I'm getting sick of scary shouting man. Almost every time I leave my house on UTP he's striding down the street shouting obscenities. Last night he called me a c*** when I was putting out the rubbish. I wish he'd walk a bit further down to St Anne's and get himself sectioned.
    I'm enjoying this roll call of local alterna-slebs. Here are some of my faves.

The Spinster - Mysterious tall governess-like throwback to the C19th, tightly furled umbrella, strict look in her eye, tiny waist. Actually I spoke to her once and told her I thought she looked amazing. She runs a photo archive and collects corsets. Once spotted in the Hip Hop section of HMV Oxford St. Super star of Tollington Park area in my eyes.

Lean - long grey haired asian woman who wears navy slacks about 3 inches too short, and leans over to one side as she walks, slowly.

Mole Man - 50 or 60ish, always walks in the road, even if he has to go around cars. When accompanied can sometime bear to be on the pavement a while but usually ends up back in the road. Sometimes appears in a string vest.

Two-bras - woman who dresses much younger than she is (though I've no idea what age that is), long blonde hair extensions or wig, skimpy clothing has revealed on occasion one wonderbra worn on top of another, jogs up street, lots of make-up.

Book-man - haven't seen him for a while, but he's tall, late forties or so, is reading a book and may have more tucked under his arm, always running while reading, or jogging on the spot at lights. Think I've seen him wearing a headband.

Bizzie with the Fizzy - short guy with grey curly hair who I am (probably incorrectly) convinced was in the Soda Stream ad of the 70s.

And in the Gone But Not Forgotten category:

Small Favour - Irish guy who used to pan handle along Tollington Park, especially at the lights. His plea always started "It's only a small favour anyway..." then after some mumbling he'd ask for 20p. Looked completely pickled and was always supping Special Brew or HSL. I imagine he went to the great bar in the sky.
  • Has anyone seen the world's worst transvestite? An older man with longish straggly grey hair, glasses, stubble, breasts and a mini skirt. I have seen him on the w7 and Tescos having trouble with the self service queue system.
    No, but I think you're using his name
    Anyone remember the woman who used to walk in front of the bus along SGR sometimes, singing (Swing Low Sweet Chariot, I think)? Wonder what became of her... She might have been the same person as Crying Woman.
    I saw the Upper Tollington man this morning - I see him most days. I've never seen him being shouty though, maybe he's a different one? I haven't seen the Cowboy for a couple of years now. I had a conversation about my bike with the tall man with thick glasses outside Tesco a few months ago. He told me I should be wearing a helmet. What about the older man with the mobility scooter? I see him quite a lot, often outside Woody's and lately outside Kebabalicious.
    Ah yes, the man on the scooter of death. He's been mowing down kebab-carrying pedestrians for years.
    Scooter of death man was shouting at me to get off the pavement as I walked past Woody's a day or so ago.