Crouch End CPZs

2»

Comments

• edited 10:18PM
    You can fight the Man and as a matter of principle you always should.
    Well, not *always*. That's the sort of attitude which has seen some people who started from sensible libertarian perspectives become the sort of insane tinfoil-hatters who think the World Trade Centre attack was an inside job and global warming is just a conspiracy/lie to enable the New World Order to strengthen its grip.
  • edited September 2010
    You can fight the Man and as a matter of principle you always should* * As long as the Man is wrong, Do not fight the man just because you like fighting or being weird. Do not solely rely on your own theories and gut feeling for checking wrongness. If in doubt use the ADGS designed Am I a Nutter test detailed above.
    From parking issues in Crouch End to international terrorism and global warming.....all in just 33 posts. Wow.
    I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat - I'm in the clear!!
    I'm glad to see you've all come round to my point of view.
    I see this little discussion has been picked up by the Hornsey Journal, verbatim:

http://is.gd/fIvj4
    Received some samizdat literature about this through the front door in the last few days.
  • IanIan
    edited October 2010
    How hopelessly rude, lazy and inappropriate for the journalist to steal quotes from this site verbatim. Unless they asked if they could use it? In which case I take it back.
    No Ian, they didn't ask. Glad the issue is getting aired there, but would have expected a bit of checking.
  • IanIan
    edited 10:18PM
    So is it plagiarism or stealing folks? Journalist hides their crime behind the lack of a byline...
    < It was discussed at the conference I went to. Many local forums had the experience of having stuff lifted, unattributed, by local papers. It was agreed that a reasonable step would be for the 'journalists' to credit their sources. Also, we know that there are a handful of registered members on this site with Archant email addresses.
    CPZ advice given me by Councillor Richard Wilson is as follows (for Nelson Road, read any road finding itself just outside a CPZ):

"I entirely understand your frustration. However, from your point of view, there is no point having a consultation in Nelson Road if residents vote against it. This would probably mean the road wont be consulted again for years (its taken 5 years for roads like Albany and Quernmore to be consulted again after they rejected the CPZ back in 2005).

Therefore, the key thing is to demonstrate support in Nelson Road - perhaps with a petition from residents saying that if there is a CPZ in nearby roads then they would like one too. If there is support then it is definitely worth pushing for a consultation."

Fair enough, but the flaw in the system is clear: a consultation done years ago would have been done in very different circumstances. Today's circumstances are that we are about to find a CPZ right next door, with all the problems that will bring. Any earlier consultation is therefore now meaningless.

The Council seems curiously blind to this obvious fact.

Meanwhile, lead letter in this week's Hornsey Journal is on the CPZ subject from a Mount View Road resident: http://is.gd/fVb7r
    Meant to add that Cllr. Wilson also said he would raise the matter with relevant Council officials. Thanks, Richard!
  • AliAli
    A lot journalist rewrite press Releases that have been sent to them. I remember when the Observer Business Section had some news about the Premier Inn at the Finsbury Park North development I went to the Premier Inn web site and the press release was almost verbatim. Lifting items from here is a bit like that but I guess it fills space and does get the news to a slightly different audience. I am not sure how a journalist would find out what was going on if they didn’t do this. Maybe there should be a code of practice in which the source should be accredited if possible.
  • IanIan
    Ali - it is fair game to rewrite a press release, it is in fact sent out intended exactly to do that. When I worked in PR if a journo took a press release and rewrote it without bothering to substantiate what we were saying it was a plus. Of course it marks the journalist out as hopeless, but not unethical. What isn't fair game is taking stories from other papers or publishers and passing them off, or taking quotes without a) clearing with the person or b) sourcing the original publisher (i.e. this site). i.e. at the very least it should say "one member of the popular local discussion forum Stroudgreen.org" or some such, so the quote is sourced and attributed correctly. I agree with you that would probably help, and isn't difficult to do. Hey they could also offer a link to drive traffic ... Rules of the game are becoming fuzzy with new media obviously, and once we have put comments up here they are public and so it is 'out there'. There is also a big difference between following a lead from an issue raised here, which is perfectly legitimate, and taking lock stock a quote unattributed, which is poor form. The journalist knows perfectly well they could have whispered for an OK or sourced the quote properly. Basically I am saying to the folk at the Hornsey Journal, have a bit of respect for your trade. Of course, if I keep saying Hornsey Journal there is every possibility that searches will start sending people to this thread where people will be able to see that as the Hornsey Journal takes its news from here, you might as well cut out the middle person ...