New Members (very exciting!)

Comments

• edited 4:43AM
    I'm sure its not mine; she doesn't talk to strangers!
    Hello am new to this but not new to Stroud Green

Likes: jaywalking with one foot in Islington and the other in Haringey
    Hello Groli!
  • edited December 2007
    @Groli. Hello. You may have wide legs. But I prefer to think that you are part of my mission to get more people to cross diagonally at the SGR/Tollington intersection. It feels wrong but it totally makes sense.
    It's an NZ thing I believe.
    Hi everyone, I've just joined but have lived on Upper Tollington Park for just over 2 years. Previously I was over near Essex Road but am really loving here. I live with my parent and our 2 dogs.

I found this site by searching Stroud Green Road. I'm really impressed we have a street that's so diverse and full of life - especially as most of the shops are still local.

Hope to hear from you.

Tone
    Welcome Tone, I too lived over Essex Road _(well, St. Peters, just off)_ for a while. The SGR rules.
    Hi David, well I actually lived on Balls Pond Road AKA "Murder Death Capital with a hint of car damage" of the Dalston/Islington borders. I'm very glad that I live in SGR area now.

Thought for the night. If anyone ever tells their friends they live in Finsbury Park they should be shot. I make a point of saying I live in Stroud Green!
    When explaining to those who are Tied to the Tube, it is imperative you use FP. Even bona fide Crouchenders (yuck - imagine) have to resort to it.
    With you on that. Sometimes people give me the blank look when I say Stroud Green. I just reply the nice part of FP.
    We had Christmas Cards to us ( in Stapleton Hall Road ) in
    - Stroud Green
    - Finsbury Park
    - Crouch End
    - Hornsey
    at least you didn't get Upper Holloway - a risk if you live the other side of SGR!
    I'm technically UH so I put it on my address. My post still gets lost or delivered seriously late - a week for a birthday card from stoke newington!
    I'm a new member. I don't have a dog, but one cat. I've lived off Stroud Green Road for 2 and a bit years now. I love the area. Out of all the pubs, I usually go to The Noble but when I'm feeling daring I go to the Tavern. I love Peteks and Pappagone's. It's good to be near the Parkland Walk and Finsbury Park is looking good these days.

I have been following Stroud Green org. since I moved here but have only just joined.
  • LizLiz
    edited 4:43AM
    Welcome flembo. Another great name to add to the members list. And another cat owner, which is always to be encouraged. In fact, I think we might be in the majority now...
    Hello!

I am new to Stroud Green and love the area and the site. I don't have a dog, I'm afraid (or a cat, although I think I am just about more of a cat than a dog person).

I look forward to trying all the pubs and restaurants in the Directory.
    Hello, all.

Flembo: "Tavern"? Is that The Park Tavern on Tollington Park? I've never dared venture in there.
    Yes, The Park Tavern on Tollington Park. They have a woman who serves behind and drinks in front of the bar who's a Patti Smith look-a-like, a man who falls asleep in his beer. The woman who owns the place is very friendly though. The Charteris side is probably a bit quieter. It's usually quite entertaining in there, some lively characters. Mind you, I've been in the Nicholas Nickerby as well. That seems scarier to me. The pub I hate the most, is the White Lion. My friend had her bag stolen there by a man who looked like Cat Stevens. I've never been there since. Although, according to a leaflet I got through the door last year, it's a pub popular with shoppers.
  • edited January 2008
    Prior to the smoking ban and the joy that is the Fullback's Ewok Village, the Tavern had two or three precious outside tables that were the sole Stroud Green local outside drinking capabilities. The back end of the Tavern has a big screen that always seems to play vintage British comedy, that classic retro Costa Blanca mix of live Billy Connolly, Monty Python and 'Allo 'Allo.
    A new friend of my Hunter should be joining soon. Could go by the name skarab (don't ask)
    There's been a rush of new bods recently. We've got a skarab signed up. We've also got an Ed and a thrifty Eddy. All say hello, please!
    I'm new! Hello everyone.
    Hello! Are you really magic/a magician/named after an obscure Japanese video game?
    Heh heh. None of those, I'm afraid. It's just a shortened version of a name I use elsewhere.
  • edited January 2008
    Magic P reminds me of Magic E from school programmes. The song was burned into my memory for some reason. I was probably at the age when i could have been learning concert piano or mandarin or skiing or something.

It was covered on one of those bloody awful channel 4 list programmes a while back and I knew all the words.

and of course, i found it on youtube.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    I loved that song.
    I hadn't heard that song before - when abouts was in on schools programmes?
  • edited January 2008
    It was on when I was at primary school. So that'll be somewhere between the end of the Falklands War and before the first episode of [Capital City](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_City_(TV_series)).
    Ahh, I think that was a few years after me then ;-)
  • Evening all. Not sure who invented it, but this seems like a jolly good thing.

I found you all on google while I had a strop on about the McAvoy piece in the Standard...

And I hadn't realised that about Porchetta. Hmm.

(see http://thegingermonkey.blogspot.com/2008/01/celebrity-obsessed-privacy-invading.html