Boulangerie Bon Matin

Comments

• We were in Crete a couple weeks ago. The menus in the fish restaurants clearly labelled what was fresh and what was frozen. It didn't necessarily affect my selection, but I liked the honesty.
  • FinFin
    edited 2:54AM
    I was in the Dairy the other day. No cows in evidence at all.
  • edited 2:54AM
    Some very polarised views on this subject. I don't want to get involved - as I rarely go in BBM - other than asking if I could have Mrs K's carrot cake recipe. I do love a good carrot cake and if there's one better than Front Room's I'd love to try it.
  • edited November 2011
    @Fin. The Old Dairy is in a building that used to be a dairy, hence the name. It was disused for a long time before it opened in the late 90s. I was there on its opening night.

BBM is not in an old old bakery and isn't French. It's a fake, and is wants to appeal to the Crouch End sunday supplement crowd.
  • I was once told that there is only one genuine French boulangerie in London, with the special kind of oven for baking croissants and French bread. It may have been Patisserie Valerie.

If you want real French bread - go to Paris!
    ...and get a bout of that holiday favourite 'french bread mouth'.
  • FinFin
    The milk wasn't particularly fresh either.

@kreuzkav BBM is a name, a brand, whatever, I really don't think it's meant to be taken literally. Very interested to hear your views on 'Cats'....

BBM is a great addition to the area, it is a bit different to other establishments in Stroud Green which is nice. While the service is variable, the cakes and pastries are excellent and the bread is a huge improvement on the alternatives at Tescos or Sainsburys (and it's just bread for gawd's sake! BREAD!!!).

I am a bit upset with the Front Room though. Went in the other day, looks nothing like my lounge.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2011
    I agree with Misscara. If you saw the same cakes or pastries in, let's say, MegaCafe or Sunshine, you'd assume that they were reheated or thawed and probably not bother. You see them on a wooden tray, under a glass dome, in a place with nice tiles called Boulangerie Whatnot and you think that they are lovely. It's the Wizard of Oz effect. A prime example of this is the fact that PRIMARK will soon be opening a concession in Selfridges. People who would never have bought Primark in Primark will buy it if it comes with a bit of tissue paper and a Selfridges bag. <http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5g3hJr31zlTlg0CIpDEw0N4996kOg?docId=N0333351319808382309A>;
    @ Misscara. I had no idea you were a former caterer. @ Kreuzkav. I had no idea you were at the opening night of the old dairy. Ignorance on costs is quite comforting. If we knew the real cost of items we'd probably stop buying them. Here are some examples..... Coffee - At least 80-90% margin Confectionery - Perhaps 45-50% margin Soft drinks - 40% ish And here's the interesting one.... Fuel - Maybe 2-3% on a very good day, -1% on a bad day. Perhaps the oil companies aren't the real rip-off merchants. Its all about the value you place on something. I know that a Latte from Costa is probably £2 cash margin, but they do it well, it tastes nice, and as long as they're not playing Michael Buble i don't mind sitting on one of their sofas. £2.50 doesn't seem too bad a price, even though i know it cost them 50p. If BBM did "fresh" pastries, you'd be looking at the worlds first £5 croissant....which i would consider to be poor value :-) ...and getting back to the absolute lowest denominator for BBM. If the produce they sold tasted bad, people would not return. Consumers might be a bit daft if they buy into a brand that in reality is something else, but they're not stupid enough to keep buying stuff that tastes rubbish. Frozen cakes or not, people like them, they keep going. I keep going. Its a nice place. Im happy to pay and eat.
  • FinFin
    @Misscara even if they are "just" different varieties they are very, VERY different (you've obviously never sampled a Tesco home brand quiche???) and much, much better.

As for being fooled, ain't me who thinks they must lovelingly bake everything freshly onsite because they have 'Boulangerie' in their name. Anytime any of you lot fancy a game of poker please do get in touch!

Overall BBM is a nice place, good food, decent addition to the area and, other than fooling a few of SGs more innocent residents, their name is pretty harmless.
    @Brodiej I I disagree. Only with your last paragraph. I think that Starbucks proves that you absolutely can build a successful brand from a product that isn't very good. That's a great example of people buying into a 'lifestyle' product rather than making a jugement based on taste or quality. What do you think of Caffe Nero? I like them best.
    Hmm. I don't get high-street coffee enough to have a strong opinion on the chains. If they were all lined up, id go Costa because ive got points on their card! Starbucks were here in the UK early doors, so im guessing they're responsible for bringing the American style coffee phenomenon. If you're an innovator, you'll always bring some of your loyal following with you over the years. The competition has come in and improved and evolved the original offer. Starbucks doesn't offer a "lifestyle" that can't be achieved at any other coffee chain, so their quality must resonate with some people? Not a lifestyle, but i'd put Microsoft in the "poor but popular" category too.
    @Miss Annie Just saw the bit about Nero. I think they're ok, i like the little kiosks on train station platfroms, and the coffee is definitely better than most. I know where they buy their baked and chilled products from, and its a big corporate factory near Heathrow. You can eat the same sandwich or pastry from Cafe Nero at 10 other retail chains around the country just with different packaging. That said, they're pretty tasty!
  • Thing is, Starbucks coffee isn't that bad. It's not good coffee, by any means, but it's not that bad. I've had plenty of dishwater masquerading as coffee at local cafes. I'll take a £2.50 Starbucks americano over that any day.

Fortunately, I know of numerous places around town that serve decent coffee, so I rarely have to resort to Starbucks. But if all you know is chains and your local greasy spoon, a caramel frappuccino (what the hell is that, anyway?) doesn't taste too bad.
    The tea in the local greasy spoons is fantastic! D'you know there's almost 400 calories in a frappuccino. Tea and a bacon sandwich has less and is much more tasty.
    **I got this email this morning. Posted without edits** Hello There all of you Stroud Greeners, I just read some of your comments regarding Boulangerie Bon Matin and would like to set straight some of what you have said or claimed. The one area where you are Totally Incorrect is about their Baked Goods! I've been working for the Ladjassa Brothers Mohamed Ladjassa of Sable d'or Patisserie for over six years of which he established Sable d'or Patisserie first 13 years ago in Crouch End opposite the Clock Tower and 9 yers ago established Sable d'or Patisserie at 249 Muswell Hill Broadway...then the third Patisserie which you are commenting about Boulangerie Bon Matin Stroud Green about 6 months ago........................... I CAN ASSURE YOU ALL THE BAKED GOODS ARE FRESHLY BAKED DAILY FROM THEIR CROUCH END KITCHEN AND MUSWELL HILL KITCHEN THEN BROUGHT OVER TO BON MATIN EARLY MORNING AND THROUGOUT THE DAY....IT IS ALL FRESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then the sandwiches, other items on the menu are prepared as you order your meal, breakfast, lunch or brunch by the Chef of the day at Bon Matin where you can clearly see he is preparing all orders with Fresh Ingredients, etc. Even the Brioche for their French Toast is freshly baked. How you feel and your thoughts about the Staff and the use of the word Boulangerie is a different matter, each of us has a different experience but I will bring all your comments to the owner Dahmane Ladjassa. I'm certain he will care and be concerned and make the appropriate changes when it comes to his staff. I'm the woman who organizes the monthly Art Exhibitions both at Bon Matin and for over 6 years at Sable d'or 249 Muswell Hill Broadway. I'm open to hearing from you about your thoughts about the Monthly Art Exhibitions; if you have any type Art you would like to see Exhibited on the walls please contact me. Thank you for your comments and all you have shared. Sincerely, Joan Podel
    Join in then Joan!
  • edited December 2017
    Greggs is coming up in the ads for this thread. Maybe we should all try there.
    Even if Joan's assertions are true, if the product is indistinguishable from baked-from-frozen goods it should either be priced accordingly or they need to change their range.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't think of BBM as a *French* cafe at all. There's nothing French about it. It's just a Stroud Green cafe with a French name and I don't go there for the name. Even the staff I've met haven't been French, but Italian, Portuguee, Slovakian.....(though I dare say there are one or two French staff or managers).

I still like it though.
  • Hello Stroud Greeners, I have recently become aware of this site and wow! its like reading a gossip magazine.. I have personally been into Boulangerie Bon Matin many times, i can vouch for the fact that all the cakes, croissants, bread etc IS baked freshly every morning as like Joan said, it is baked from early morning when were all still in dreamland, at their crouch end branch. But i cant help but wonder a few things : Firstly, if Boulangerie is soooo bad and their staff are rude - why do you go in there? and why waste your energy complaining? Everywhere deserves a fair chance and a bunch of bitter people dragging its name down through an online forum is not very nice nor very 'supportive' in any sense of the word. Every person on this planet is entitled to their own opinion but all of this back stabbing and bitching over a coffee shop? is that the biggest issue in life for you right now? it seems such a waste of precious energy! Anyhow, thats my personal opinion. The staff have ALWAYS been pleasant and friendly towards me and any friend i have brought in there, the owner is always polite and warmly attentive, the food is always fresh and the coffee is the reason i go there. Everyone and anyone is entitled to agree/disagree but may i suggest that before they do they ask themselves 'what am i gaining from putting other people down'? We have an economic meltdown occuring across the globe, an unemployment rate that is unprecedented, a quarter of our world that cannot afford to eat and the most taxing subject for some of you on this forum is trying to figure out if the food in Boulangerie Bon Matin is fresh or frozen?! the mind boggles.. Sink if you need to people but dont try and bring others with you. They are still open and still very busy - that says it all. Peace & Love x
  • Not many of us write posts that long though.<br><br>Nothing wrong with discussing a local business.<br><br>I went in today. The coffee had improved somewhat, and the staff were friendly. The croissant was great. The atmos isn't great tho, not sure if I could put my finger on why...<br>
  • No one's complaining out of malice. Mainly, people are lamenting the lack of a good local cafe. When we say that their coffee is shit, it's not because we want them to go out of business. We want them to improve their coffee.<br><br>I want BBM to succeed. I want them to start serving good coffee so I can have lunch there a couple times a week. Unfortunately, decor seems to be a higher priority than quality food and drink.<br><br>I don't buy the argument that because a place is busy, it must be good. The SG Tesco is always busy. That doesn't change the fact that it's a lousy store staffed by some of the world's least competent people. And I shop there at least once a week.<br>
  • <p>I don't go there because I don't think it's all that great.</p><p>The people who run it should take the comments on board (there are a lot of positive ones too), and give the customers what they want. Which seems to be great coffee served by friendly staff. As rainbow says - no one hopes it will close or wishes anything bad for them, they just want them to listen to the customers.</p><p>When you say freshly baked each morning do you mean frozen stuff from an outside supplier baked in the oven, or freshly made completely from scratch with ingredients - like Dunn's? I think that's what people were trying to clarify.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • BBM  has became my favourite place which i m glad discovered. Always enjoying to have my breakfast there p.s. freshly squeezed orange juice and the carot cake whith  capucino is yummy. The cafe is very unique and artistic i love to observe the great pictures on the wall..mind u i bought one of them , amazing, it made my living room outstanding. I wish all the best to BBM and keep it going and neglect those bad comments as  always you will get those creepy and unsatisfied people in..<br><br>100 %  to the staff service, to the quality of food, pastries,coffee and  the atmosphere of a place.Well done!!!<br>
  • @ Rainbow Carnage - Its all about ability to choose. Lack of grocers means not much choice for shopping, so although its shit you keep going back to Tescos. I get that, it must be frustrating. In the case of BBM, its hardly a staple part of your weekly shop so you have the choice to visit or not to visit. In a non essential market, they are busy.<div><br></div><div>In this case, even with feedback from those connected to BBM in some shape or form, it isn't enough for the SG forum. We have pastry conspiracies, bad coffee conspiracies, but overwhelmingly a group of positive embassadors who are repeatedly told that although they keep on visiting, that the non-visitor opinions should be taken on board and that we are all mad for liking it. Its like me constantly going on the knitting forum and saying its shit, or the book club and saying "the film was better". I m not involved, therefore little or no opinion. In terms of BBM haters, you've made your point, had your say....now enjoy your coffee' and pastries somewhere else. Start a thread about that place and tell us all about it....not on here</div><div> </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited December 2017