Boulangerie Bon Matin

1789101113»

Comments

• ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • Someone earlier mentioned that the scrambled eggs tasted of cinnamon. I ate there recently and my eggs tasted of cinnamon too, which was odd. I thought I was going mad, or was alone in that, but clearly not. There is certainly room for improvement but it isn't like a portal to hell has opened in SG. I personally prefer Front Room's food, and am keen to try the new place, but my wife likes BBM, and if she wanted to go there it's a nice spot for a cup of tea and a reasonably good (even if frozen?) cake or pastry. Nothing like some extreme opinions to heat us all up on a cold winter day. <br><br>In short: Some people like BBM, Other people quite like it but have some constructive comments. A few really don't like it. A few appear to be shills defending it. Most people, it seems, fall into the first two categories but the most noise is made by the latter two. <br>
  • edited December 2011
    <p>It's a nice cafe but it ain't French and it ain't no boulangerie.  Opening a cafe with a French name and trying to trade on sophistication because of it is so naff!   I would like to open a small scale cinema in Stroud Green showing all sorts of movies from all over the world.  If I did open a cinema like that I wouldn't call it cinematheque francaise.  That's the beef with it.  Can you not get it! </p><p>Go to it.  Drink their coffee, eat their reheated cakes but it ain't a French boulangerie.  </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • And I don't expect cats to be in 'Cat's or homeless in Vagabond.  I take them as names and in context, and without them trying to cater for their name.  You guys show very low intelligence at times, despite your IQ high level.  I actually scored the highest in my class for abstract reasoning as a teen.  Black mirror, the grand national. xxxxxxx  read between the lines you ..................
  • I would love it if you opened a small independent cinema. I would come to it and probably enjoy myself. I would respect the fact that you were working hard to do something you loved, that was hard work but true to your commitment to be independent. I would probably have one or two small suggestions about how you might make it better as well.<div><br></div><div>Then I would post the same complaint again and again and again about how shit it was.</div>
  • <P>an estate agent told me that there is a new german cafe opening in tolly park,where heads up barbers used to be,it will be called "don't mention the war".and have the fawlty towers "you started it you invaded Poland"  scene playing on a continual loop on the cafe tv."sehr gut bratwurtst,das ist gut.jah!jah!Jah!</P> <P>giving the bbm cafe a french name is a good marketing strategy as it attracts punters which is the point of a business to make money even if it annoys kreuzkav.</P> <P>kreuzkav - were you the only person in your skool taking the abstract reasoning test? just askin.  </P>
  • I went into what i thought was a good place to buy a car phone the other day, but was confused as it wasn't in a warehouse and i couldn't buy a car phone. Whats that all about? My dream is to open a pneumatic drill training school on SGR and have noticed that Chapter One is available. My classes will start at 10pm and will last 8 hours. We will need practical experience so will probably dig up the road outside. At 1.30am we may utilise the Sugar Lounge for some halftime beers so we can all have a chat. Because of the digging we'll have to shout as we will have lost our hearing. At the end of the session, we'll all go and have some coffee and croissants at BBM, and the French students will comment on how authentic the pastries are. On graduation, people will have a slap up meal at Seasons and treat themselves to a cashmere sweater. They'll probably then hail a cab and go home to a trust-funded flat in Islington. Its all just a dream at the moment, i can't get the planning. I have always performed terribly at abstract reasoning, maybe 3rd quartile in a class. Many an assessment centre has been failed with incorrect multiple choice answers. "do you prefer roses or a nice cupboard", "what is better, a nice cupboard or raisins". Intelligence to me is someone that has the ability to use common sense. I have met many many university professors who i consider to be thick as pig shit.
  • I was bad at both abstract reasoning and maths. I was in the fifth quartile.
  • <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><FONT face=Calibri size=3> </FONT></o:p></P> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><FONT face=Calibri size=3>CrisN4<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>You will be reporting that the Channel tunnel is being filled in now that we have left Europe !</FONT></P>
  • I was good at abstract reasoning but terrible at maths, which I hear is rare. <br><br>I was taught (in sociology) that there is no such thing as common sense, and still find that persuasive. ‘Common sense’ has no meaningful shared definition. When people say ‘common sense’ they are at best using it to mean ‘logic’ or ‘practical reasoning’. At worst (e.g. “it’s just common sense innit”) they mean “I insist that my opinion is true but decline to back it up with reasoned, evidenced argument”. These people are often very distrustful of intellectuals, and struggle to accept that some people might know more about something than they do. It’s a widespread problem in British culture.<br><br>I bet Kreuzkav thinks he has a lot of common sense, where as in reality he is a goldfish in human form.<br>
  • <P>are you an intellectual arkady?</P> <P>i think your logic is a bit weak on this one...</P> <P>sociologists have a left wing agenda which is anti some of the things that would be called "good old fashioned british common sense",so they have it in their interests to argue that there is no such thing as commons sense.For example many sociologists are feminists and would argue against the common sense view that "the bread knife (wife) should do ths or that... is not common sense and that women should blah blah blah </P> <P>if you said "murdering your neighbour is morally wrong;and that is common sense"</P> <P>that would be a fair example of common sense as it is commonly agreed that murdering your neighbour is morally wrong. It is normal to view murder to be wrong in this example.</P> <P>so you can define some opinions as common sense meaning they are  normal opinions that you can guess that most people agree too.</P> <P>like its a good idea that the bread knife (wife) puts the kettle on and makes a cuppa...common sense guv</P>
  • <P>just because you havent done a scientific experiment and asked everyone in the uk the question "do you think that murdering your neighbour is morally wrong" , doesnt mean people dont hold the common sense view that murdering their neighbour is wrong.going on about needing evidence for every opinion or the opinion is somehow invalid seems logically flawed argument to me as i have explained.</P> <P>  </P>
  • Rhyming slang is constantly evolving but people generally use 'trouble' (and strife) for wife. I've only heard people from outside London use 'bread knife'. By London of course I mean zones 1and 2.
  • Would it help if I told you that my Algerian friend thinks that Boulangerie Bon Matin is Algerian owned, so a French speaking nation but not actually French? (I would also point to the absence of any pork products on the menu as another possible bit of evidence that this it is not actually 'pretending' to be a French boulangerie, if such a thing is even possible outside France.) I suspect this is unlikely to convince Kreuzkav not to repeat his argument for the umpteenth time...
  • <P>i dont think it would help in this discussion,especially not if it is the truth...</P> <P>i would like to hear kreuzkav use his "abstract reasoning skills" to complain about a pneumatic drill training school on sgr.good joke brodiej...i liked your comments on other thread brodieji about visiting lower division football clubs,good ideas for a day out and a break from the prem...</P> <P>someone in london must live next to a place where they train road works people to use pneumatic drills... bad luck for them...not sure if high vis jacket wearing workmen would use "abstract reasoning skills" if you asked them to keep the noise down though..maybe a more anglo saxon response from them..</P> <P>dont carry on...(if you havent enjoyed your cup of coffee that is) make yourself a nescafe at home...</P> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • <p>nice to have debate here, despite Arkady's usual put-downs.  I've got used to them.  This is a man who thinks there will be a one world tax system and nation states will go soon.</p><p>i have only complained about sugar lounge (deserved it as they had people outside until 3am on the tables all during the summer of 2010, didn't get involved in the debate recently, they have improved but need to keep to their promises), BBM (tries to be something it ain't, no big deal, somewhere to take the parents), and Seasons (elite, but probably good).</p><p>It's all good, stroud green is amazing, what's wrong with a bit of debate and criticism?</p><p>As Chris says,</p><p> </p><p>carry on</p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • <P>arkady - isnt kreuzkav entitled to his opinion? Even if you, in your "wisdom"; don't agree with it?</P> <P>don't carry on...</P>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Vagabond was full this afternoon, so I rather doubtfully, and for the first time in over a year, decided to try the Boulangerie Bon Matin. Well, at least the window table was brightly lit, and I had a spot of reading and writing to do. Not many of our local coffee shops score highly on that front. It turned out to be BBM' s only + . The 'small' cappuccino I had asked for was a bucket of scalding milk. Having heard good things about the patisserie from some people, I tried a very small cheesecake pastry tart thing, with some choc on top. OK - but completely undistinguished. I am convinced Miss Cara is right - their stuff is not freshly made, despite the unconvincing clamouring of one or two rather odd posters above, who plainly are there to talk things up, like a claque in the theatre. My tart - gone in a few mouthfuls - cost £3.80. I couldn't believe my ears. I protested loudly, and asked to speak to the manager. He was absent. 'Never again!' I roared - but what was the point in shouting at the staff? Their pay per hour would probably not have reached the cost of two of these undistinguished little monsters. So. Never again. I can't understand why it's so popular. Krappy passed by half way through my visit. Strange to know one of you in the flesh, so to speak, after so many years. Strange too, for the second time in so many weeks to find myself in agreement with Miss Cara! She plainly knows what she is talking about, and if anyone wants authoritative confirmation of my tirade, I suggest they look back at her posts.
  • [concurring with Checkski]
  • One further point: no prices on the stuff in the window. I know I should have asked first, but aren't they obliged to stick price labels on? Yet another piece of shoddiness.
  • We went in for the first time since opening week to take advantage of the Amex deal. Got a small cheesecakey thing and a slice of the millionaire's shortbread. The cheesecakey thing (not a proper cheesecake) had an unpleasant skin on it. The shortbread was more palatable, but no better than what you get from Sainsbury's for a fraction of the price.<br><br>We have two Amex cards, but didn't bother going back to get more free pastries. Not worth the hassle or the calories.<br>
  • edited December 2012
    I went in sometime last week and ordered a sandwich and a latte to go. I have no beef with the quality of the food but I was waiting quite a while to be charged for my food. I didn't kick up a fuss and was waiting patiently by the till while the waitresses were busy. The manager arrived half way through my order and when he realised I had been waiting for a couple of minutes (unperturbed I might add: it is the Christmas holidays and I was not in a hurry) he then told off the waitress in a really aggressive and disturbing way. I really should have said that it wasn't the waiting I minded but the unpleasant way he spoke to his staff.
  • edited August 2014
    Reviving an elderly thread but.....<div><br></div><div>The uber-gentrification spreadeth.  Popped into Boulangerie Bon Matin this morning.  It was always overpriced and of doubtful authenticity but at least it has decent wi-fi and the green tea is good.</div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;">It has poshed-up even further now on the food side which I take to be the Exeter Street Bakery effect.   BBM no longer do a little tasty filled croissant for £4 or so and the cheapest 'sandwich' is £7, so you might as well settle for lunch and know your wallet is going to be shredded for very average food.   So it is off my radar now.   (The jolly staff deny ever having done filled croissants, but then I'm the customer and should know. Which is also irritating.)</span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;">I am now starving hungry.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;">For that price I might as well go to the Exeter Street Bakery and be proper posh.  What's the comparison?</span></div>
  • I buy croissants or pan au raisin from BBM almost every Saturday morning as a reward for doing Park Run. I think they are pretty good. The food menu is good also, if a little pricey, but I love the admittedly Ottolenghi-ripped-off salads. Usually, if front room is full (which it usually is) we go there for lunch and feel quite a bit healthier for it. My only main criticism is the coffee, which really is inexcusably terrible. It's the same at Sable d'Or and in the these days of coffee proliferation is really surprising. But then, I go to vagabond across the road. Isn't London great!