[...]

Comments

• Ahh, that makes a little more sense! I did wonder why our neighbours upstairs were still using the boxes. Seems a little silly though as the bin men have to move the new wheelies out the way to get to the boxes. We now have five wheelie bins in our front path. :(
  • <P>There's a three story house on my road that now has *nine* wheelie bins outside, 4 refuse, 5 recycling.</P> <P>Definitely not helping Stroud Green beautification.</P>
  • Wow - we now have six flats in our building, and we only get one wheelie bin (no recycling) every few weeks. Maybe if they don't need any of their bins.... ?!<br>
  • @Ilovegreyhounds - That's a very kind offer. Thank you. What street are you on?<br>
  • Rainbow I've whispered my address to you, let me know if you didn't get it.
  • This from the local LibDem councilors in my email today might be of interest to some here: Want to tell the Council what you think about the new wheelie bins? After lots of residents have raised concerns about the thousands of new wheelie bins that have descended on our area, Liberal Democrat councillors have put this issue on the agenda of Monday evening's Area Forum meeting. The Council's waste contractor Veolia and the council officers in charge of the new bin system, including the unpopular move to fortnightly collections, will be on hand to answer your questions. So if you want different-sized bins, fewer bins or more bins please come along and have your say. Other items on the agenda include a briefing from local police officers, an update on the transfer of the Park Road swimming pool, and plans for new road safety measures. Full agenda details are here: http://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=215&MId=5931 The meeting is at Rokesly Junior School, Rokesly Avenue N8 8NH and starts at 6.30pm, with council officers available to answer questions from 6pm. These area forums are open to all residents and are your opportunity to find out about the Council's plans for Crouch End, Hornsey and Stroud Green.
  • @Ilovegreyhounds - it doesn't appear to have worked.<br>
  • Had a lovely chat yesterday with a Veolia chap named Craig (seriously, very nice guy - wasn't being sarky). He gave me a comment form for my views on the Council's handling of the new waste/recycling programme, so I commented at length! He was very discreet about his own views, but has a very expressive face...
  • @rainbow_carnage, I have sent you my address, hopefully it works this time.
  • @rainbow_carnage did you pick up the bin?  They have gone from the front garden so either you have collected them or Veolia came to clear them away.
  • It wasn't me. I've yet to figure out how to check private messages. I thought they would be in my Inbox, but apparently not?<br><br>Anyway, thanks for the offer. I'll see if I can get one out of Veolia. If not, I hope y'all enjoy the sight of piles of green recycling sacks as you walk by.<br>
  • All our recycling wheelies disappeared yesterday. To be replaced by green bin bags, I really don't see that as a very good idea. With the amount of cats and foxes in the area the bags are going to be ripped open and we'll have recyclable crap everywhere :(
  • I spotted that on Cornwall Rd this morning. We still have ours but loads of houses have had theirs taken away.
  • First day of new collections scores 2/3. Dry recyclables & wet recyclables went, but not household waste, though today was supposed to be a waste day!
  • <P>Trundled some of the many bins I have been given around to the back garden so I could get up the path to the front door.  These bins are pretty hideous and could not agree more about them screwing up the beautification objective (as they have in Hackney) - and I also have a useless bin store in the front garden that is supposed to remain in perpetuity according to the planning consent (can't fit the damn things in) - useful for storing redundant boxes, bins etc in, I suppose. Doubtless there is a cosy corner of Hell for whoever designed these wheelie bins.</P> <P>Have had a bit of a battle with Veiola who were getting arsey about taking away garden debris (their rules are different from Enterprise's) - one tip is not to be fobbed off with their customer care centre: simply tell them you will be taking it up with your councillor. They seemed to shape up after that. </P> <P>Recycling stuff went yesterday (yay) but proper rubbish has to wait for another week or so.</P>
  • @Vetski Not sure where you are but on Cornwall Road I think it's just recyclables today, General waste is next week and every fortnight thereafter.
  • <P>We still have our bins on Cornwall Road, and thank god they actually collected our recycling today, it had begun to take over the entire garden! Bags sounds like a terrible idea, with the sheer amount of recycling waste that the 3 flats in my building seem to produce, we will be living in a dump! </P> <P>When are they collecting normal waste? We are overflowing with that too... :( </P>
  • @yagamuffin, thanks - I did check our latest leaflet this morning, and yes, general waste is next week. Veolia had told me over the phone that it would be this week...should have known they'd be wrong!
  • <p class="MsoNormal" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Arial">Hello. I’m on <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cornwall</st1:place></st1:city> too. A couple of guys with a clipboard and a big van came on Monday and took away a load of the new green wheelie bins as yagamuffin mentions. I went out and asked one of them what was going on and he said that the council had changed their mind and was taking back green bins permanently from certain properties and we had to use clear sacks now – he didn’t know why but looking at which houses had their bins removed perhaps it’s the ones where there is nowhere obvious to store it.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Arial">So then this morning the guys came to collect the recycling but they left ours on the path as is wasn’t in a wheelie bin! So again I went and had a word and they said they know nothing about the council taking green wheelie bins back. Then today, after collecting the green bins, the guys just wheeled them back randomly wherever, so now some people who had none have two and vice versa etc. Some people over the road have something like 5 green and 3 black lined up. It’s like some drunken game of wheelie bin backgammon.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Arial">Also, sorry but there is no way we are going to make do with having our black bin emptied every 2 weeks. It’s full every week and we’re keen recyclers but there are a lot of people in the house, including a baby with dirty nappies. Sorry, not a nice image I know but this is the reality of bins! They say I can ask for an extra black bin but where do I put it? They’ve already decided I don’t have space for a single green bin so where’s the second black one going to live? Gaaah! <o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 9pt; ">It just seems like the consultation has been ignored and once again they just do what they want. There was nothing wrong with how it was before. We already recycle everything we can – this won’t make any difference – can’t help thinking they’re just hiding behind environmental reasons like the massive increases in parking charges and the unnecessary speed bumps on our road.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial; ">Having your bin emptied each week would probably be one of the first things on the list of what people expect from a council where we pay over £2,000 a year in council tax. Sorry, bit of a rant, but I can only see this adding to rubbish on the streets / piled up outside house and more ugly wheelie bins everywhere and how can that be good?</span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 9pt; "> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Arial">Anyone know e-mail addresses for councillors I can write to about this please? I already did the survey <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">gardner</st1:place></st1:city> joe mentioned when he first posted it.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; "><span style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Arial">Thank you<o:p></o:p></span></p>
  • Why don't all you Haringey folk do a flashmob rubbish dump on the steps of the Town Hall? That might wake them up.
  • @missannie, funny you should suggest that - earlier today I was wondering how much it would cost to post a full bin bag to whoever's in charge of Haringey's waste services!
  • Miss Annie - that would mean going to Tottenham.<br>
  • edited June 2012
    @hooofck They took a green bag of recycling I had put in an old green recycling box but not stuff that was loose in an old green recycling box.<div><br></div><div>I like the idea of a recycling wheelie bin as it contains the rubbish better, but if there is no room then we may as well continue with the green boxes.</div><div>In these 'Austere Times' (tm) I would love to know how the council are justifying this extra expense which as far as I can see doesn't increase any revenues.</div>
  • The recycling bin malarkey is to justify the switch to fortnightly bin collection. Personally, I don't mind. There are eight people living in the three flats in our house. We have two large rubbish bins. They are never full. We also had four of the old recycling boxes. They were always overflowing.<br><br>One large recycling wheelie takes up no more space than four recycling boxes. It's also much neater. We didn't have lids for three of the boxes. It looked like a wet mess. I would much rather have it all in a single bin.<br>
  • <P>Where are the local councillers ???</P> <P> </P> <P>It is working fine for us and is a fanstic improvement </P>
  • In defence of Haringey's rubbish collections, mine is collected twice a day every day.<br>
  • Blimey! You must be one of the only people getting good value for the huge council tax bill.
  • I was expecting some collection today ... but neither bin was emptied. Grrr ...
  • Gro they left our bins across our path when they collected the recycling - so rude! Am in the mind to complain, who is responsible for collection?