Grumbling

edited April 2008 in Local discussion
There's lots of low level grumbling on the site at the moment, about places and things that in my view are charming in part because of their imperfections. I don't think many of us would swap what we've got for the everystreet of Costa/Pizza Express/Slug&Lettuce/Starbucks/McDonalds, but that doesn't really come across. It would be nice if people could post their positive experiences, as well as their complaints. Not just on this site, but all over the internet. I'm just on a bit of a downer reading people complaining all the time. Rant over. Be excellent to each other.

Comments

• edited 9:11PM
    Ok, here we go... The Black Sea BBQ Restaurant does a cracking chicken shish roll for £4.70. Happy now.
    i haven't lived many places in my short life so far, but stroud green road (or just off it) is by far my favourite.
    the only bit i don't like is nando's, it seems horribly out of place. though i've never actually been in there so correct me if it is in fact deserving of praise.
    i heart n4!
  • edited April 2008
    It's all your fault Andy. You set the tone early on by flaming my admiration of the wells terrace waffle stand. To be honest, I've never forgiven you.
    I love the fact that you can always get a seat in Miso.
    Now now geoff, I'm not sure that's what Andy meant.

Nando's has introduced a new veggie burger - portobello mushroom and halloumi with chilli jam. Looking forward to trying it out.

United Nails is the best - manicure for a tenner, file and polish for a fiver. Fantastic for a cheap and quick pick-me-up.
    My niece, her boyfriend and his Auntie came down from Liverpool for the weekend and on Saturday night we walked down SGR and had a pizza in Pappagone. Nothing remarkable about that you might think...

But the Auntie thought it was fantastic - she kept saying how much she enjoyed it here. She said the area had a real community feel, alive with loads of places to eat and drink and how it felt like being on holiday!

So many people come to London and have a good old moan about the crime, tube, polloution, rudeness of people etc so it was good to hear for once. So maybe we just don't appreciate what we've got... Or maybe Liverpool really is that bad?
    The inlaws and inlaw uncle/aunt are in love with Jai Krishna (and quite frankly who can blame them) and are actively disappointed if we ever suggest going somewhere else - which is great for us, because we never have to cook anymore when they come and visit.
    Some of my work friends who live on the 'east' side of London, came over for dinner the other day - they thought SGR had a great atmosphere and were jealous of all the pubs/restaurants on our doorstep.
    My mum and dad really enjoy their Stroud Green visits. They are both in love Mr Petek. He is such a charmer! They also like sampling Woody's Turkish sweetmeats. They live in King’s Lynn, so it’s all very exotic to them.
    Things I love about living here:

A fantastic selection of cheap & tasty (and veggie-friendly) food - Jai Krishna, Cat's, La Porchetta, Good for Food, the Italian cafe, Petek's...

The best transport links in Zone 2.

BMF in the Park.

Free yoga (sometimes) at Yoga Junction.

Parkland Walk.

When you run into the local chemist lady in the park and she says hello.

That Woody's is open 24/7.

Ice skating in an empty rink at Ally Pally at 11am (okay, that may be stretching it).

That there are always people around, even in the middle of the night.
    When my brother comes to visit from Liverpool, he always wants to go to Pappagone. He loves the lasagne. We have lots of good restaurants on our door and places full of character. What other area can boast so many wig shops and a shop that's called Stround Green.com. It's certainly been my favourite part of London since I moved to London. It's got the Parkland Walk, Petek (sorry Andy) and gratefully no Costa Coffee or Starbucks.
  • LizLiz
    edited 9:11PM
    Went to Petek for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and thought it was ace. Also the Front Room cafe is great and what about the Fullback Ewok garden? never seen one of them anywhere else... P.S. Has anyone been to the cafe by the play area in FP itself? Reviews?
    I've tried the new Nando burger, albeit at the Shepherd's Bush branch, before a Merz gig at Bush Hall. Both very good!
    It is not everywhere you get a Grade II listed pub like the Dairy
    @Liz we've been to the FP cafe. It's very cheap with loads of seats outside - the breakfasts are incredibly unhealthy (come with chips!) but quite good. The helpings are enormous.
    rainbow_carnage - Woody's isn't just open 24/7 ... it has a 24/7 license to sell alcohol!
    And it is open 365 days a year!
    I know this is meant to be a thread-o-positivity but the cafe in Finsbury Park is pretty horrible I reckon. Terrible coffee anyway and it always stinks of fat frying.

I'll balance that with a good thing: Jack's off license has got Brooklyn Lager which is bloody brilliant.
    I tried the cafe in Finsbury Park one Sunday and it was briliant. Not only was the food delicious and cheap (although it was a bit fattening, I'll admit!), but you could sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.

It was so sweet, three tiny little dogs from different breeds but all the same size met up next to our table and sniffed each other. The owners stood around and chatted. It was brilliant - the kind of atmosphere you never get anywhere else...
    Following on from dominic, I always thought the service was dreadful, although it could have been teething problems since it hasn't been open that long. However, the playground up there is the best for miles around so we are looking forward to visiting a bit more when the weather improves!
  • edited April 2008
    @ geoff - banish all those ideas of fairweather parenting immediately! Give it a year and you'll be shivering up there in the sand pit in sub-zero temperatures nursing your take away hot chocolate with the rest of us!!
    @ donnaw - don't get dominic started on tiny little dogs...
    Small dogs = rats. I just want to kick them.
    small dogs = only dogs my dog isn't scared of. On a good day.
    Small dogs are rubbish. <a href="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/76220088_fd899b9c11_b.jpg" target="qwerty">Big cats</a> are where it's at.
    I want a dog. Sigh.
    do you want ours? he needs a walk.
    Yes please.
    @ Poxy - he/she is beautiful - Maine Coon?
    Yup. I've got two of the beasties.