So who is winning in Stroud Green?

13»

Comments

• @krappyrubsnif - agreed. Also less radical and less redistributive than a proper review of concil tax bands.
  • Caroline Lucas suggested that progressive parties should not run against each other where the tories are the main competitor - at least 4 seats went to the tories by fewer votes than what the greens registered in those seats. i would think the LibDems could get back most of their seats next time around by such a pact. Perhaps we can console ourselves by sorting out the space outside Charter Court - good things come one cobblestone at a time!
  • <p>Kreuzkav,</p><p> </p><p>I think the recent evidence suggests that what you propose will not get very far at least in England</p>
  • We could call it Stroud Green Red Square and get Miliband to come and cut the ribbon.   Bacon sandwiches from Vagabond.
  • Revolution in Stroud Green!
  • Ali,<div><br></div><div>I agree.  I guess the third way was the most successful Labour have been in the last few decades.  Just was feeling a bit nostalgic for 'red days'.  </div>
  • Could always move to Scotland!
  • @N19.  Why should I move to Scotland?  I have never set foot in it.  I was born in London.  This is my city.  I love it dearly and I'm so sad that places like Stroud Green are being turned into rich kid land.  <div><br></div><div>Why don't you and your Libdems move there if you're so smart.  Take your Tory and developer licking selves up there.  I'm fighting for London.</div>
  • Whoops. Kreuzkav is back on the booze, by the sound of it.
  • @Checkski.<div><br></div><div>Sadly the soothing effect of camomile tea has worn off.  I've become too tolerant to it.  </div><div><br></div><div>Add to that, what happened last week.  Makes me one angry man.  </div><div><br></div><div>No booze intake.</div>
  • Because the politics there seem to fit in with what you want.... and because you won't get it here, the world has moved on - you're not going like what prospective Labour Mayoral candidates are saying...<div><br></div><div>I'm happy in London and love it as a city but a couple of deli's and gastropubs do not make SG a rich kid land.</div><div><br></div>
  • @ N19.  The World might have moved on according to people like yourself who have sold yourself to the Tories and the Developers.  There a re a lot of young people who don't want this Brave New Tory World.  I hope they rise against it.  
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;">http://blogs.channel4.com/paul-mason-blog/labour-failed-win-worse/3671</span></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;">Sorry if I got a bit heated yesterday but was having one of my moments(no alcohol, I'm a passionate man) but the Scottish thing interests me a lot.  I really couldn't understand why Labour were sending up their minions like our councillor Tim Gallagher who patronised me so much when I challenged him about why he went up so drone-like to stop the Scottish people having independence.  I will never vote for Gallagher as he comes across as a Labour party stooge.  I'd vote for Ben over him anyday as he has more integrity and was pro-independence.  The SNP deserved to wipe Labour off the map in Scotland after their games.  Please Labour stop being such stooges.</span></font></div>
  • I think there were a lot of people who didn't want what Labour were selling - an election is often swung by what was once called Mondeo Man and White Van Man. <div><br></div><div>Many people aren't political animals and vote for what they see as a combination of competence and aspiration for them to get ahead, plus some more money in their pocket.</div><div><br></div><div>The Tories got those people this time, like New Labour did from 1997 on.</div><div><br></div><div>There's no point Labour supporters just railing against Tories relentlessly - that won't win many people over.</div><div><br></div><div>And it seems to me as a non-partisan voter that was pretty much what Labour supporters revolved around this time.</div><div><br></div>
  • <p>The irony is Kreuzkav  that Hornsey & Wood Green used to be a Tory seat when this  area was more run down</p><p>Have a look  at this  <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Rossi">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Rossi</a></p><p>He retired before he got kicked out as he woud have been with the boundary changes at the time.</p><p>He used to live in Westminster and roll up here  in his roller. It was an entertaining time when he got himslf  mixed up on the wrong side in the  save the Parkland Walk campaign when his governemnet proposed turning it into a motorway!</p><p>I find it difficult to belive that  we could  get so gentrified  around here that  it goes Tory again !</p><p> </p><p>Thsi is vastly  better area to live in than  what if was in the 90s</p><p> </p>
  • I liked it in the 90s but it was probably at its best around 2000.  It's still a great place to live but I don't like the development one bit.  It's sterile and some of the new cafes and shops are really just gentry money chasers.  SG in the 90s had a lot of character.  It was a bit too rough I agree.  As I said early 2000s got a good balance going.
  • <p>Krez </p><p> </p><p>started by La Porchetta </p><p> </p><p>Have you always lived in the same place  </p>
  • i'm with Papa L re his comments about Catherine West and Richard Watts. I've had many dealings with them in the past and have found them to be extremely self-serving, evasive, and will say anything to look good while being very low on delivery. <br><br>But hey, that's politicians for you - perhaps I was naive to hope for anything different.<br>
  • My experience has been exactly the opposite. But hey, I reckon politicians get a bad press.
  • edited May 2015
    Second Mirandola' s post. I am in Tollington Ward and both C. West and R. Watts have both been extremely helpful whenever I have raised any issues.
  • I do feel rather sorry for councillors and MPs. Of all parties, I should add. Have said this before, but here are lots of honourable, hard working and altruistic ones on all sides. <div><br></div>
  • edited May 2015
    Mirandola, I met Richard Watts once and he seemed nice. He was helpful when I have emailed him before.<div><br></div><div>I felt it was a real shame when he and Catherine West refused to release information that would have clarified the exact data behind a biased council document sent out that pushed to close roads that would have impacted those living on neighbouring roads.<div><br></div><div>Beyond one reply from Catherine West back that failed to answer questions, they essentially just ignored emails and reasonable requests.</div><div><br></div><div>If you remember the <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/4645/road-closures-in-corbyn-st-thorpedale-rd-does-everyone-else-know-about-this/p4">Thorpedale / Corbyn road closure scenario</a> it sparked a lot of debate on here and also in the local press. (I've linked to a relevant page of it that I commented on)</div><div><br></div><div>It felt to me as if the council had got caught out and so they decided to pull down the shutters.</div><div><br></div><div>I think this has been a problem with Islington over the years, with both Labour and the Lib Dems in charge. Something gets pointed out as wrong and rather than fix it, the shutters come down and the mess gets worse.</div><div><br></div><div>Councillors and MPs work very hard and do a lot of good. It's a shame more people don't want to get involved. There's definitely way too much of a siege mentality and a drive to put more stuff behind closed doors in local democracy, however.</div><div><br></div><div>I guess the classic reaction to that would be to blame the press. But, in my view, you can't blame the press for that, as arguably the local press that holds councils to account is much weaker now than it was 20 years ago.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • <p>Papa L</p><p> </p><p> Did you try a Freedom of Information on them, hrder to ignore.</p><p> </p><p>You could probbaly try in now if you like </p>