Tollingtons fish & chips

edited May 2008 in Reviews
Now - it's not very often that katiejane gets out of a Saturday night, but last night, after a gruelling (ahem) 90 minute journey back from Brighton, I was really looking forward to getting some chips for my tea on the way home, only to find that at 10.30 - yes, 10.30, the bloody plaice (sic) was closed!!!

Call me an 80s throwback, but does nobody have chips on the way home from the pub anymore?

Comments

• edited 7:08AM
    True dat.

I was on my way home from a gig the other day, when I had a sudden craving for a deep fried product. So I walked all the way to Tollingtons, having read its praises on this board. And the damned shop was closed! Had to settle for pizza. Again.
  • edited May 2008
    I always go out of my way to Michael's on Holloway Road, on the block after the Coronet. But now that you mention it I'm not sure they're open late at night, either.
    Ah, post pub chips. mmm. I've not tried Michaels, meant to be great. I think Tollingtons shuts at 10pm, this has happened to me too.
    Chicken Cottage etc must be open later, no?
    No doubt - but I wanted proper chips.
    Tollington's has always been draconian in its strictly 9-5 (ish) opening hours. It's always busy at lunchtime, 5-6 ish with local white trash buying 10 x chips for their extended family but never caters for us *normal* chip eaters who'd like a battered sausage at *normal* post pub chip time, e.g. 11pm onwards. Which is a shame cos their chips are usually good.
  • LizLiz
    edited 7:08AM
    The lack of post-pub chips is ridiculous given the amount of fast food places we've got. One of the kebaberies on SG Road near the Tollington turning is open late and does chips in pitta, but they're the thin french fry style, which is not really what you want in the post-pub slot. Maybe there just aren't enough people who want chips to make it worth Tollington's while to stay open a bit longer on Friday and Saturday nights...
    The chinese place (I think it's chinese, but I'm usually too drunk to notice or care when I'm there) on Hanley rd, just past the Dairy, does fat chips post-pub.
    Colette, I am shocked you know that
    Yeah - but the general rule is that chips for Chinese takeaways are really really greasy, no?

If not, thanks for the tip - my waistline salutes you!
    I think they're Chinese running the Tollington Fish Bar now?
    I wouldn't know - they're never bloody open
    @ Matt - you are? I doubt it.
    @ katiejane, I'm not sure if I can really remember their grease levels - they're not as good as the Tollington place, but I was happy with them at the time. I'm prepared to admit that my standards may have been lower than usual though, what with being under the influence 'n' all. They are fat chips though. None of this skinny nonsense.
    @ David - yes, they are.
    On second thoughts, don't bother with the hanley rd place - I'm road-testing the chips right now and they're bloody awful. Not so much greasy as weird tasting and not greasy enough. Total waste of £1.
    we got fish and chips at the tollington road place tonight. very tasty, and my gherkin was good too. they claim to be open till 10.30 most nights...
    does anyone know if The Codfather opposite Londis on Ferme Park Road has closed down? I don't recell seeing it open lately...
    The Codfather closed down about a million years ago to much gnashing of teeth and wailing.

Post pub or coming from the tube I recommend a chapati kebab roll from <a href="http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3814.htm">the Mezbaan</a>, very satisfying at at two quid a lot cheaper than fish and chips. And I'm not aware that kebabs are an endangered species either.
    ah, ok, sorry. next thing you know Threshers will be gone too...
    However desperate for post pub chips you may be don't go to the dodgy kebab place over the road from Nandos (King Kebabs possibly).

The guy who served me last night put his hands in the chips to test the temperature of them after just having had his hands in the till. Then to confirm the chips were OK to serve he took one out, ate half of it then put the other half back! He then asked if I'd like to taste them or wait for some fresh ones.

I declined both offers.
    Hello. My name is Kostas Krappyrubsnif owner of esteemed Dodgy Kebab Place over road from Nando and I am going to sue you for defamation. I operate very clean place and wash my hands at least once a fortnight.