New Development Stroud Green Road

Comments

• edited 5:39PM
    Ok - just found this on a forum. Not sure if it's right: *As a rough guide, A1 is retail, A2 is banks/shops used as offices, A3 sit-down restaurants, A4 wine bars and A5 hot food takeaway.* *as a general rule you do not need planning permission to use an A2 premesis as an A1, nor an A3 as an A2 etc. You can't go from A1 to A2 or A2 to A3 without planning permission. You should check the lease, speak with the local authority and check the user clause of any lease before you go any further with it to check there are no restrictions on what the property can be used for.*
    Andy you are quite right. To go from A3 to other use is easy but to go from retail to A3 needs planning......thats why we obtained A3 as a starting point.

As I have said before thanks to the recession I have no idea where the interest will be at this stage.

As far as the giant hole is concerned I have asked builders to report back to me. I will let you all know in due course.

Regards

Vista
    Ok the large water filled hole outside the entrance to the site is down to the water board so afraid we cannot touch it

Regards

Vista
    o well, thanks anyway for checking it out!
    Echoing those above, please no chains! (Though I would tolerate a Wagamama or a Waitrose). And please no more convenience stores!

Things I would like:
    A good bakery
    Vintage clothes/junk shop
    Dotori 2
    Petek 2

I can't work out if it would be big enough, but what I would REALLY like a kind of big open multipurpose space where there could be exhibitions, farmers market, bike repair guys, junk stalls, vintage clothes stalls, records and other stuff (I'm thinking Spitalfields). With a cafe/bar. Which sells good bread.

A cinema would have been nice. What about a really good late night cafe/bar/restaurant with a small screening room? There's a place like this in Borough.
    Screening Room might not be a bad idea, though presumably you'll be underground next to lots of tunnels. Will it be noisy down there?
    Vista, I know it's long gone, but what can you tell us about the building that stood there before? I'm curious to know it's history. Ta.
    Beek I believe the old property was at one time a cinema, but many years ago. In the latter years it was used for clothing manufacturing.
    All sounds good. Will be nice to come out the station and have the option of going into a nice bakery or deli. Maybe the recession will hit your likely customers more than we care to admit at the moment. Whether the bakery/deli customer base is there at all I guess is a question - the wig shops, fruit shops, kebab shops and take-away stands obviously thrive for a reason too. The bakery next to Nandos obviously wasn't working for a variety of reasons, though it did look a bit grim.

Not sure I'd hurry to a second-hand book/record/clothes shop on that spot when Crouch End is more suited to that, and covers those bases. I notice a record shop in SGR already closed down a few years back.

Sorry don't have any brain-waves of suggestions that haven't been made already.

Best of luck in the current climate.
  • FinFin
    edited 5:39PM
    A book shop would be nice, even if it's a Waterstones/Books etc type chain.
    How about an exclusive members club? Could be 'Finsbury House'?
    Well I think you have to take what you can get in this current climate, what with shops closing left right and centre. I dont think interesting independent businesses and screening rooms are going to be viable at the moment!

If there wasnt a recession I would like a Sainsburys Local or a Dunns type bakery!
    Or what about an Elemis Spa or The Sanctuary Prediaments? Or even a Holmes Place.
    Today i stepped in a massive pothole outside the development and bingo - i realised, how about Champneys! In the pothole!
    What about a brothel? Sometimes i'm really gagging for it walking home from the office.
    Predicaments - have you considered adding Harvey Nichols Finsbury Park to your very thoughtful list?
    £5 says you two are sitting in the same room.
    Harvey Nichols Finsbury Park......now there is a novel idea. Perhaps Al Fayed is sick to death of the extortionist rents in Knightsbridge.
    Bridget - Sainsbury Local is not such a bad idea. Supermarkets are amongst the few expanding and creating employment in this economic climate, catering for the stay at home culture.

How about a decent fish and chips????? I have a meeting with Toffs who currently are up in Muswell Hill. As anyone would agree who has eaten there, their fish is really second to none - always fresh and good value for money.

I am also exploring the bakery.
  • FinFin
    edited 5:39PM
    Decent fish and chips would be nice.

A gym's not a bad idea either. Good location near the tube to drop in on the way back from work, and perhaps a good option for the basement?

Then fish and chips on the way home to undo all that good work.
    but there are two tescos and a lidl (at least) within five minutes... and good luck opening a deli/bread shop next to a metro/local/express supermarket.
    I am almost beyond myself with excitement at the thought of Toffs moving there. Honestly.
    I would *love* a decent chippy. I believe there are some posts buried deep in the site about the lack of a decent chippy.
    The Sainsbury's idea leaves me a bit cold. I'm not sure we need another supermarket. And the "locals" are overpriced anyway.
    Oh, and of course Toffs would probably do well on match days down that end of the road...
  • I quite like Tollingtons...

It would be nice to have another fish and chip place, as long as it stayed open past 10.30.

I'm still rooting for some place that sells desserts. Pastries, crepes, ice cream... anything sweet and tasty, really. NOT Dudley's, though. It makes my eyes bleed just to look at it from the outside.
    I don't mind Tollingtons either, not as good as it was since changing hands a few years back but still dishes out a good bag of chips. Belgium Waffles doesn't do neon, they barely have a roof. You better make Vista aware that while you want desserts, pastries, crepes and ice cream in one of the units, you also need to have a say on décor or its a no go.
    @ david - surely we all get a veto? isn't that why vista brought it up? ;)
  • belgium waffles doesn't have wi-fi.

i may be a food snob, but i'm certainly not a decor snob. jai krishna is my favourite place in SG. but the neon is truly painful.
    A chippy!
    Oooh - Toffs gets my vote! It's beyond comparisons with Tollingtons.

Who needs a Sainsbury's local when you've got the new Finsbury Park supermarket on the corner of SGR/Wells Terrace?
    I agree - a Sainbury's local isn't a good idea. When the supermarkets are shut, we have other shops that can provide pretty much everything except good bread and cheese

Bookshop would be great
    A big vintage shop e.g. Beyond Retro (Brick Lane, Soho) or fancy dress?
    A bar/cafe/ gallery/space like Riverside studios/the Spitz as was