New Development Stroud Green Road

Comments

• edited 3:06AM
    Tollingtons is ok as it is I think, though has gone downhill. Best of the bunch outside Muswell Hill. Toffs? Hmmm. Maybe. There are about 5 chips shops in short walking distance from F/park, all 3 on the Arsenal side are pretty ropey. The lady at the Arsenal Fish Bar (on the way up to Highbury Barn) said they closed on match days because there was too much trouble from the fans, jumping on tables etc, though that was a couple of years back. Not sure how Toffs would react to that.

A Virgin Active gym might be alright - you could use that as a selling point for the flats, as there are plenty of bars/shops/restaurants already. Already one in Crouch End though, maybe too close?
    I like Tollingtons. Having lived in various parts of London in the last 10 years, its the best chippy I've been to in that time.

The piece od Cod i had on friday was marvellous..
    I love fish and chips but can people please think about ordering something other than cod, or asking where is has been sourced from? North Sea cod is on the redlist - (e.g. overfished and near extinction) Icelandic, line caught cod is better. Or try haddock, or pollock. Britain eats most of the world's cod, so we make more of a difference with our choices at the chippy than anyone else. <http://www.fishonline.org/>;
    Evolution in action :)
    isn't rock supposed to be the perfect cod replacement? and they have it at tollington's.
    perfect replacement, but even more endangered, unfortunately. i didn't even know 'rock' was a shark. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_salmon>; <http://www.fishonline.org/search/simple/?fish_id=30&q=rock+&search=Search>; Pollock is the best bet.
    I'm a haddock man.
  • edited February 2009
    Me too (a haddock woman that is)

@ tosscat - bet you're a saveloy man aren't you?
    what's the difference between a saveloy and any other sausage? (sorry, i'm a northerner and a veggie)
  • Tollingtons chips are alright but the fish isn't very good at all - Toffs is ok all round and the best of a bad bunch but still really not that great. I don't think there are any good fish and chip shops in London, and I've been to try lots.

The main problem is that they tend to fry in oil rather than dripping and even when they do fry in dripping the batter mix is never that good.

Used to live in the north east where there are some outstanding fish and chip chops and even a 'bad' one would be much better than either Tollingtons or Toffs.

I think there's a lot more involved in doing fish and chips right than the other takeaway foods which means treating it as a business and not really caring shows in the taste much more than with kebabs etc.

By the way unaesthetic I think the savaloy has some nutmeggy or macey spice in it which is what makes it different to a normal sausage.. For some reason they are sometimes called 'smokies' in the North, or is that a slight variation?

And smokie is also street slang for a sheep carcass that has been flame cooked with the fleece still on (apparantly they're illegal and often made from rustled sheep - I know thanks to watchdog tv programme circa 2000)
    When living at Liverpool St there was one gem of a fish and chip shop somewhere out the back a little towards Old Street, but it was only ever open for the city workers not in the evening, I can't remember the street nor name.

I'm not sure why I'm even posting this.
    @underscore_cue, have you been to the Fryer's Delight, on Theobald's rd ? they fry everything in beef dripping.
    is that "fry" or "coagulate"?
    If you look on the wall in the Fryer's Delight there's a great picture from an 80's magazine photo shoot with Oliver Stone posing on one of the plastic red seats in there with fish and chips in front of him.
  • yes! I have been to fryers delight - I was really pleased to sniff that distinctive dripping smell but then really dissapointed with the food..

The fish was a very unusual shape and had a hard black bit on the batter about a centimetre wide and twice as long (how did they manage that??), and it was too greasy which often happens when the dripping has only just been added to the fryer.

The chips were really good though. Maybe I was unlucky, I've only been once.

Def prepared to give it another chance becuase I might have just been unlucky and ended up with a skanky piece of fish that once.
    All cod can can give a sigh of relief because at the moment it does not look as though Toffs is coming to Finsbury Park.

I am engaging an agent to deal with the letting in the next few days.

Regards

Vista
  • edited February 2009
    Sigh.
    That's disappointing. Did you show them the levels of enthusiasm in this thread?

@underscore - I've only ever had chips from there (it's round the corner from my office and I sometimes grab a bag of chips post-pub), so can't pass comment on the quality of the fish. I might give it a go and report back. The chips are great though.
    Ramsdems at Euston now give you the option to purchase the "catch of the day" rather than a named fish such as cod. Mine was tasty (and cheaper).
    …a named fish such as Alan…
    I would like to see a Starbucks, Pret and Marks and Spencer. Chains are what the area needs not junk shops where nobody buys, but they are great to pass time away. Also it might help if everyone cleaned up their dog poo and stopped riding pushbikes on the pavement. Don't suppose any of these will happen though."Its an absolute disgrace!"
  • edited February 2009
    i'd like a woolworths, a zavvi, an iceland and somewhere selling miss sixty clothes.

oh, wait, what?
    I see what you are saying about woolworths,zavvi and miss sixty but Iceland ?
    Presumably you mean Iceland the country. Iceland the shop is still selling delicious frozen fare at unbeatable prices as far as I'm aware.
    oh, i was just trying to be clever. fail.

aren't there enough starbucks, prets and marks'n'sparks? i'm totally rooting for independent retailers of quality …whatever… and the chains can go take a number. for about half of last year (before the economy imploded) every other news report seemed to be about how faceless and identical every high street was becoming. and when a credit crunch comes along and knocks out a couple big name stores, every high street in the country has an identically-shaped hole in it.
    Id love an M@S and if there is a choice between a shop selling chicken feet, fried chicken or wigs Id have a Starbucks, Pret or anything really besides revolting stinking chicken feet!

Its not like we are talking about Church Street with nice little shops and delis - then I could understand the argument against chains.

Id like somewhere to get nice food and bread. I hate Tescos food - it is tasteless and grown in airport sized warehouses with giant chickens running around.
    you don't think sgr can be like church st?

just as there are only so many identikit chains a street can support, there is also a limit on the number of chicken feet and/or junk shops an area can sustain (unless they're all fronts for something).

clearly whatever comes needs to be *good* and *successful*. if it's crap and successful, like a starbucks or a sainsburys local, it'll be a detriment to the area. if it's good and a failure, then there's another empty shop-front waiting for the chicken feet or the faceless chain-stores. but then we'll only have ourselves to blame...
    What, exactly, is wrong with chicken feet and wig shops?
    well chickens need to stand, and …bald people have …their pride?
    I love the wig shops. Take the pole out of your arse and go in and try some on - it's the best way to spend a free 30 minutes in SGR - hey, why not buy one. And Bridget, do you think M&S food is made by some grandmother on her Aga? And personally Church Street gets on my chimes.
  • edited February 2009
    I with you Tosscat, ever paid particular attention to the voodoo-esque _real_ hair section at the back? I'd say that chicken feets and wigs must be _good_ and _successful_ to a decent portion of our community as they've probably been the longest running businesses on SGR. They don't become bad and unsuccessful because a few members on a site we worked out the other day is still under 1% of the community don't like or use them.