Bye bye Noble, Noble bye bye?

edited April 2010 in Local discussion
Apparently this time they really are selling up. Anyone want to buy a pub?

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 1:04PM
    Nnnnnnooooooooooooo!!!!!
  • edited 1:04PM
    That's a real shame. Guess they just couldn't entice folk further up the road than The Old Diary? Dairy was mobbed yesterday for Sunday lunches - Noble had plenty of room (which I was happy about as we got a table). Ample portions of very nice roast beef too in a much more relaxed atmosphere (and no f&$%^ng football).

Maybe this explains the barmaid constantly tripping over her face?
    what Ian said. Every time I have been in the last 6 months has been packed.
    its a good pub luggy will be missed the old dairy is no where near as good
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I love the Noble.
    @ Misscara. It's the drunken, toothless, bruisers and vagabonds who sit outside of the White Lion who put me off. Perhaps it's much more refined on the inside. But the vibe you get from the outside is "Asbo's Only".
  • FinFin
    I've always liked the Noble and will be sad to see it go.

I did often wonder however how commercial they were. They have a very nice looking brunch menu for example, yet on a Sunday don't open until noon. Sunday brunch packs out numerous places in Islington & Crouch End, not to mention The Front Room. I'd have gone to the Noble many more times than I did if they'd opended at 10 or even 11. A shame.
    We've had false alarms about this before.
    What's the real story here?

I would be very sorry to see them leave.
    They've been great to have around here.

Can't somebody ask Simon Pegg to spearhead a save the Noble campaign?
    I was told by one of the regulars on Saturday night after he'd been discussing it with the owner.

I've actually looked into buying it before, but it just doesn't make that much money, although it was relatively cheap.
  • IanIan
    Mills - do it for us, not for the money ...
    Does the Noble really host a knitting evening? Can I join?
    I really hope it doesn't go and if it does get sold I hope it's to somebody likeminded and they keep it running as it is! Nowhere else does Steak and Chips so good for miles!
    We were in there last night. Half the taps were off because of a "problem with deliveries". This meant no cider, fine for me, not for the girly in our group. Oh so very unhappy she was.

No if only I had a few quid spare to buy a pub...
    @Misscara - so Thursday nights would be the one to avoid then. Knitting in pubs - unless there's a guillotine or at least a boxing ring is just plain wrong - worse than the dreaded pub quiz.

Perhaps they have groups on the other nights that have other customers running for the lifeboats too?! Could explain their non-commercial progress - sort of a 'sales prevention technique' British are naturals at that.

@Yagamuffin - the girly in your group will be grateful later in life for the non-cider event. Cider should be sold in separate joints - like the White Lion but only if you drink it outside and await the hallucinations.
    Given that the [knitting group](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/1850/1/any-good-knitting-groupscourses/) originated on this site, it's a bit unfair to judge the Noble for it. But a good curmudgeon should never let the facts get in the way of a whinge.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    this would be a real shame. and it's not any more expensive than the old dairy so don't get that point. and has picnic tables and no sports and good food. would be bummed to see it go!
    Perhaps if they did sell it wouldn't change anyway? Might just be ownership. Kitchen might even survive.
    The word last night was that they've just put it on the market in an exploratory sort of way, so even the sale is far from certain, much less any further changes.
    If they did an antipodean urban cafe type breakfast/brunch menu - with proper coffee, from earlier on Sat & Sundays - I'd be there right now.
  • edited April 2010
    I was in there on Saturday night for tapas and a bit too much wine. The food was ok, not amazing and the place was pretty empty. Wish we'd stayed in the Old Dairy.
  • FinFin
    Echoing my comments bally, they could do very nicely indeed if they offered a decent breakfast/brunch menu at a time people want to eat breakfast/brunch. Perhaps someone who knows an owner or manager might think to make this suggestion on our behalf?
    I was in there for lunch this Sunday and asked the owner what the score is. He said it's just time to move on and he wants to get out of London. He and the other staff in there are very sweet. Food's a tad pricey though - £14 for a veggie main course?

I think they should do breakfast and brunch too. I only know of one place in N4 that does eggs florentine (Front Room) - it's my favourite brunch meal and I'd like to go somewhere else once in a while for it.
    Have you tried Spiazzo in CE for eggs florentine? So good it makes it worth being in CE.
    talked to adam (think that's his name) who owns the noble and he said that the pub will carry on as is, it will simply transfer to another proprietor and that everyone he is talking to wants to keep it the same, yay! of course they could bring the prices down a tad! x
    @poxy No, I haven't, where is it? I've been to Nivan in CE - OK eggs florentine but portion a bit small.
  • edited April 2010
    Spiazzo is next to the old town hall, opposite side of the grass to Barclay's bank.
    Is that the place where they charge well over £3 for a small piece of cake? I was so outraged I wrote to the Hornsey Journal about it, and have never been there since.

Opposite, and next to the fishmongers, I think, is Figo's, and that has 2 merits: lovely, comfortable armchairs and sofas, and the delightful Mrs FIgo (Mr is OK, but a bit taciturn). On the debit side, coffee only so-so.
    £14 for a veggie main is shocking indeed.

@checkski - did they publish your letter?