Bye bye Noble, Noble bye bye?

Comments

• edited 7:33PM
    Not bitter at all, just expressing my opinion.

If you look again you will see that not all of my posts are about things I hate.

Cheers
    why do you hate The Noble Memon 74? Even if it isn't your cup of tea I can't find anything truly offensive about the place.
    Both the Noble and the Old Dairy charge a full pint price for a shandy (for the lady in my life) :-). Parting with £4 for a watered down lager is quite offensive. I may buy them seperately and ask for a spare pint glass next time. Other than that, its a good 8/10 for both.
    it doesn't cost £4 a pint in either of those places so would conclude that the lemonade must be more expensive than the beer
    Lemonade is about £2.50 in the Noble as I recall.
    ah yes I've had the £4 shandy problem, but it seems to be the same in most places. I just go for sparking water now with a bit of cordial. I was out last night on Stroud Green Road, and there seemed to be mini raids taking place on the Sugar Lounge and the WLM, not sure if that's just routine. Guys being searched seemed to be used to it.
    The Old Dairy always feels unfeasibly expensive, the Noble I just always expect and have always known to be expensive so I get shocked less. I could well believe you could end up with lemonade being more expensive than beer in either. My beef with pubs is when they try and charge you cocktail price for a bloody mary. ie a fiver. I have previously resorted to requesting a straight vodka, a tomato juice with lemon and the loan of a pub's salt, pepper and Tabasco.
    @Papa L A Bloody Mary is a cocktail. You are missing at least three of the crucial ingredients.
    That's embarassing, I forgot the essential Worcestshire Sauce wwhen typing. I wouldn't say celery or horseradish or celery were crucial though, personally I prefer without, and most pubs charging you a fiver skip them anyway and only put in a single shot of vodka. To be correct, I should have said my beef with pubs is when they try and charge you cocktail price for a bloody mary and then skimp on the booze and make no more effort than if doing a vodka and coke. Which is very often the case - hence the make your own solution
    Worcestershire Sauce is essential. Celery gives me the heebie jeebies generally but I do like horseradish in my Bloody Mary. Monkeynuts do a very nice one.
    Celery is evil
    I think we've voted celery out. I'll stick Monkeynuts on my list and try it out.
    Personally I find celery salt works a lot better than celery. Oddly, Swiss Bouillon powder can be used in extremis as an alternative.

I'd add that either a couple of shots of dry sherry, or a combination of wine and port, work very well in addition to the vodka.

Lastly, whilst I do think the Worcestershire is essential, I'd be tempted to skip the tabasco (whose flavour kinda clashes with the rest of the drink) in favour of more horseradish. Ideally freshly ground, and definitely not the creamy kind.
    I like my bloody mary to be spicy. Some sliced fresh chilli works quite well to deliver a kick but not overpower. Also Henderson's Relish is a fantastic alternative to Worcestershire Sauce - on any occasion <http://www.hendersonsrelish.com/>;
    @WillM I'm very keen on the addition of wine and/or port too. It adds depth and takes away any acidity from the tomato juice. I'm interested in the Bouillon idea - never tried it but I can see how the flavour might work. That's an experiment for this weekend.
    Definitely a dash of port.
  • edited October 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    OK Misscara just defined my perfect Bloody Mary.
    enjoying these cocktail tips. I'll try the port in the bloody mary definitely. I had a nice one in the Villiers in Crouch End a while ago. It was expensive though. They made a right song and dance about it. It took ten minutes and they asked if I wanted each of the added ingredients separately. They fixed a stick of celery, a large chillie and bit of cucumber on the side of the glass. Do you keep the vermouth in the martini or slosh it out?
  • edited October 2010
    Almost, I'd have a little less lemon and swap the tabasco for horseradish. As we all seem to be keen on drink this might be interesting... <http://www.londoncocktailweek.com/index.jsp>;
    Garlic & Shots in SOHO do an amazing shot made from tomato juice, crushed garlic, dried chillies and ground pepper - its amazing. Not recommended for a hangover cure, best taken when already half cut and should be avoided if you're on the pull.
    @sincers - the garlic and shots one is absolutely fantastic. but several of them should never ever ever be taken the night before a long flight. ever.

@miss annie & @misscara - great recipe, and i agree the horseradish is a bit of a faff. i might put a bit more vodka in there though.

@dorothy - if you do add the port, experiment and make 2, 1 with a double shot of red wine in, and let us know which you think's the better?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wow. What expertise! Bloody Mary tasting in the Stapleton one Sunday lunchtime soon?
    I wonder if the barfolk would let us experiment with different recipes for them to make for us? Hmm...
    Shot of something dry and sparkling adds a nice touch to a BM, or some super dry sherry. I will try with the port though.
    I'd always be free for a Bloody Mary tasting ... in the Stapleton or almost anywhere else.
  • I have to say - I quiet like the Dairy's Bloody Mary. Rescued me a couple of times and is made (relatively) freshly.
    What is the scientific proof that Bloody Marys cure a hangover? Other than making you pissed again?
    "The great thing about a Bloody Mary is you can persuade yourself you're having breakfast, and a healthy one at that" - Jeffrey Barnard is Unwell