Bye bye Noble, Noble bye bye?

Comments

• edited 4:01PM
    @Misscara @Andy

How do you know I wasn't in the pub? I might have infiltrated or eavesdropped on the edge of the group!

I'm not sure the merits of the knitting group are determined one way or another by who started it? It's just not a very pub-like activity in my view - I imagine that drink & wool are uneasy bedfellows too!
    I like to see people with a common interest enjoying themselves in pubs and hopefully adding something to the ambience too. Knitting offers very little in that regard - nothing much there for the spectator,casual or otherwise. I have nothing against wool and needles per se and know some very skilled exponents of that craft/art.

So sorry for having opinion that isn't yours. All my friends say hi, excuse the delayed response I've been busy.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @twinspark - I don't think you're sorry at all.
    <i>Is that the place where they charge well over £3 for a small piece of cake? I was so outraged I wrote to the Hornsey Journal about it, and have never been there since.</i>

I don't know. I don't buy cake there. I buy eggs florentine or eggs benedict for £6.50, which I don't think is unreasonable. I've not written to the paper about it though. Do you think I should?
    Would rather a pub full of chatty people knitting and letting other patrons get involved, than swathes of lagered-up bores with their shirts tucked out shouting at a big screen Bolton/Blackburn grudge match.

More arts and crafts in pubs!
    I used to quite like watching my nan knit. And when I lived at Spitalfields, The Gun was my local and there was an old ladies bridge club at the back. Quite found that fascinating to watch too. Don't see so much of a difference in seeing people chatting knitting or chatting playing cards or chatting while drinking. Not meaning to align the knitting club with old ladies, just disagreeing with twinspark that it somehow breaks good pub etiquette.
  • edited April 2010
    So, the Noble was closed on Monday evening. Is that it for that incarnation now?
    It's always closed on Mondays
    Ah,I see. I'm not usually up that way on a Monday.
    I think the 'what is a good pub activity' deserves it's own thread. Exclude the obvious telly,juke-box and gambling machines which are pretty much a given.

Still wouldn't vote for knitting- or any crafts in pubs - nor the good old quiz or karaoke or bingo for that matter. Card games especially bridge, cribbage all good - ditto chess, dominoes, bar billiards - don't care for darts, skittles or pool - can you still get those mini-curling tables ? Best pub game ever 'juke-box watching' i.e guessing what songs a person is about to put on.
    I like the idea of crafts, games or any other activity that encourages conversation in pubs. TV has no place in pubs as it kills conversation and frankly if you want to have a drink and watch TV in silence you're better off doing it at home.

Think the only skittles alley left in London is in the Freemasons in Hampstead if anyone fancies a game.

Best pub game ever doesn't have a name. Invented on a long, drunken night in Manhattan. Two or more of you sit at the bar. One gives a cryptic description of a drink based only on the name or pictures on the label and the other(s) has to guess what it is. Very simple example.. He's a celebrity on the glorious twelfth = Famous Grouse

Best played in a dim, well stocked bar full of drinks you rarely see so that you really have to scour the labels to find the answer.
    Winner (or loser) gets to drink it down in one?
    Oh yes! A double if it's especially disgusting.
    Cynar anyone?
    I tried to go there the other day and it was shut.
    It will be a shame when the boys go - they run a quality place, much better than the dairy (lifeless) and the Larrick ($hite).

There is going to be a party thrown at the end of May with DJ's playing all styles of music to break things up a bit and attempt to move away from the quiet Saturday nights... Do come check it out
    Oh no, the last thing they need is DJs! That's what did for the T Bird.
    Why is the success of a pub today measured in terms of how noisy it is? Big screen football, DJs, bands. What's wrong with a quiet pub? That was one of the Noble's big attractions.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I love The Noble but have been on a night when they had DJ's on and wouldn't go again. I can't believe they will attract more people and make more money this way. Surely most people want to be able to hear themselves speak when they venture out to the local?
    With you there. That's why I go to the Larrik. Terrible pub, minus fifty for hip ambience, crap food, but good beer and interesting people, not like you fartass trendy lot. And you can hold a conversation.
    Really? It used to be noisy as well as everything else, and didn't one of the other threads mention live bands had made an unwelcome return?
    You make the Larrik sound almost as good at the Harringay Arms which has become my favourite. My Crouch End mate who I go drinking with said we should use it sparingly, otherwise we'll end up with our own regular seat like some of the other punters. The place has a real lure. They don't do food, if they did I think it would be those cheese or ham sandwiches on white sliced bread wrapped in clingfilm. Good sobering walk back up the hill as well.
    Noble now appears to be opening at 10am on the weekend. Perhaps they read Fin's comment above. I am about to slip into a coma having managed to finish their full breakfast.
    How was the breakfast James? Fairly priced? Tasty?
    Very tasty thanks. It was a little pricey but worth it I would say. From memory (and I'm really not sure about this) an eggs royal was around £6 and the full english was maybe £7-8. Only downside was that the coffee machine had broken. We got teas on the house though to compensate!
  • FinFin
    edited 4:01PM
    Blimey. Victory for the common man etc. I'll have to give it a go now!
    I hate the Noble. Hope it closes ASAP
    Memon74 - You've made about 5 posts. All of which describe things you hate. Why so bitter?