Noble is going downhill

Ventured to the Noble tonight. Grim. Full of shouting people in enormous groups, drinking jugs of alcopops and snapping vacuous Facebook flash photographs. Atmosphere reminiscent of a sub-polytechnic student union bar or wet tee-shirt competition. Demise of supposed gastropub.

Well, a bar is defined by its customers, I suppose. Shame.

I notice that a certain knitting group has relocated. Coincidental?

Comments

• edited 5:34PM
    Move over, old boy.
    Yeh Rubster, some of us like to have fun.
    <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/davidclifford/orwell.html">The Moon Under Water, by George Orwell</a>

This thread is destined to become as circular as a parish magazine.
    The exclusive club that is the Stroud Green Drinking Knitters has relocated to the Stapleton. Misscara will probably explain why in more detail...
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Make it quick if you do plan to go back. It has been sold for definite this time.
    Yikes! Who, what, when, where, how, why and how much?
    I believe to the owners of the lease. Not sure if it will remain a pub or go to be flats. No more info than that I'm afraid.
    Last week this week. It has been bought by the owners of the Highbury Barn. Will close for a week I believe and then re-open. They have kept on the same bar and kitchen staff, other than Adam the owner obviously.
  • JakJak
    edited 5:34PM
    I remember delivering fruit juice to that place when it first opened back in the 80's.
    It's had a few different faces during the years.
    What was the original name of that pub ( ie Victorian name) I am doing a project on old pubs of N4. Any info on origins of others please let me know . (I already have Osborn Tavern Walter Scott and earl of Essex histories tho). But does anyone know about place called DanzieBar ?Chang
  • edited August 2011
    I'd like to hear anything that you find, Chang.
    Old boozers in SG, ChangN4N6? I'm 103, will I do for an interview? The Danzi Bar was the first reincarnation of the Stapleton and was a club for Tottenham drugsters funded by some Malays. Crap place but if you went to the toilets before the bar you get out yer head just breathing. Made for a most economic night.
    Hence I guess the slogan on an old poster I found at the library 'every nite is party nite at Danzibar' . I am assuming the Lion of Mortimer used to be shops rather than another pub. That does not look like a Place for a Party Nite.
  • KazKaz
    The Lion of Mortimer was definitely a pub in the late 90's. Not sure about before then. It was called something else though, Moon under Water or something? Not sure if it was a Weatherspoons already then.
    Was the White Lion not the first ever Weatherspoon's pub?

The Noble was previously The Big Fat Sofa and before that a gay pub called The Flag.
    WL of M was a car showroom when I moved here in 76 but soon got done up as the WL in its first incarnation with the bar in the middle.
    Wl of M was a second hand car showroom in the early 60's as was Chritopher Charles the Estate Agent on the corner of Stroud Green and Tollington Park.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Danzibar was what the Stapleton was before it was the Larrik and before (I think) it was called something else Stapleton-like.
    Misscara- I think the Noble was the first pub bought by the guy who owns Weatherspoons bought.
    From my memory since the mid 90s it was the Stapleton Arms, Danzibar, Bla Blas, the Larrick and now the Stapleton again.
  • As far as I remember WLM was a carpet shop and something else - 2 shops were knocked through to make the pub.
  • As chronicled on another thread the Stapleton has the longest history in the area, going back to at least the 1760s under the Stapleton name (and previously apparently as 'the Green Man'). It is originlly supposed to have been housed in old Stapleton Hall which is the Medieval/Tudor building just up the road, and moved from there about a hundred years ago or so. Stapleton is the name of the family that owned the land around here.

And as we all know (but perhaps you're new to this Chang) there is a Mayor and Corporation of Stroud Green (drinking club) dating back to the 1760s, connected to the Stapleton, whose badge hangs just inside the door. Does anyone know when the next Mayoral Meeting is?
    Thank you. Does anyone know the story of Chapter One - is seems always to be closed and looks like it could be a good venue. The StaPleton Hall Tavern was a well known rock venue in the 70s someone told me. U2 played there. Must have been loud!
    Hmmm. Could Dotori move to Chapter One?
  • KazKaz
    I think Chapter One used to be ok when it first opened. It had more of a cafe/bar feel to it. Then they changed the interior completely and it just became 'the bar that didn't really know what it was', in my mind. It has been a bar since at least 2005?
    U2 played the Stapleton?
    I can very well visualise Bono staring dramatically down SGR. What did he climb on I wonder?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.