Noble is going downhill

Comments

• edited 8:15AM
    We need a good lively rick and dance pub/venue round here with no skanks and younger majority. SL is good and the women tend to be friendly but it ain't a real party vibe . It sounds like K2 was bit prob a bit ethnic for my taste in music . Anyway sadly that has been shut and I never got to it. Is Silver Bullet worth the trip ? Chang
    'prob a bit ethnic' I take back what I said about thinking I was going to like you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I hate African music but love African food and dubstep. Free country ain't it?

Anyone going to the SB this weekend ?
    I think it's a stupid and crass phrase regardless of intent. Indeed if not used with negative intent then it's an ignorant thing to say. English is an ethnicity. And if Caribbean music is 'ethnic' then all music is ethnic.
    Let alone 'African', which isn't an ethnicity either.
    (A gentleman never offends someone by mistake.)
  • Chapter One used to do cheap food. Mezze-type dishes. You could get three for £10, which was enough food for two people. It was so cheap, you could overlook the fact that the beer was overpriced.

Then they got rid of the food and changed the decor to an eye-gouging colour scheme. I went there exactly once. I had locked myself out of the flat, and it was the only place open.

I would be interested to know what the owner was thinking when he made the change. The place was almost constantly empty.
    Disappointed in you locals. Very unfriendly. Am off back to N6 soon as I have the money and can escape my in-laws, God bless em. Miserable place this. Chang .
  • JakJak
    edited 8:15AM
    @ ChangN4N6.........

Your going BACK to N6 !
    Sooo , you're a bloody foreigner are you ?
    Have you got a Visa to visit N4 ? lol
  • JakJak
    edited September 2011
    Don't forget that Nando's used to be a pub , affectionately remembered as the Tolly...

And Davies & Davies was where I used to get outfitted for my school uniforms for Stroud Green Junior and Stationers Company School ( now gone to the old school cemetery in the sky ).

Oh , the Old Dairy was a odds n sods shop called Pams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stroud_Green_Road_c.1910.jpg
    I had a lovely time in The Noble this evening and I shall miss it in its present incarnation. Many thanks to all (staff and punters) who made it such a pleasant place to be x
    Every time you post, Firenze, I wonder about your nom de plume. Have you some connection with Florence? I lived there off and on in the 80's, and loved the place.
    @checkski Just the road. Pretentious, moi?
  • KazKaz
    There is Orleans on Seven Sisters Rd, open well into the early hours and has a dance floor. I think the music is hip-hop/rap/r'n'b-ish, but I could be wrong as there was a lot of rum involved when I went there.
    Orleans have a mod night once a month which has been going for a decade or more, and is very well-regarded by those in that scene. Bit of an anomaly given the rest of their events, but it seems to work. Silver Bullet I had thought was going to be a boon to the area, but after the way they screwed over a friend who had a night there (double-booking a new regular Friday over her pre-arranged bimonthly night, which she only found out via their general mailout), I can only conclude that the management are imbeciles.
    Tom here from The Silver Bullet.

Just a quick note to address your comments @ADGS...

The double-booking you're referring to was unfortunate and we tried to resolve things with the Black Plastic girls as soon as it was identified, by being as flexible as possible about the format of their night so it could still go ahead as planned. As you rightly point out, it was our mistake that they found out about this from our general mailout, rather than a direct communication from us.

I can assure you that we're pretty competent at what we do and I can only apologise that since we're human, mistakes are sometimes made! All our current promoters, as well as the promoters we've worked with in the past have always been impressed with our level of professionalism and friendliness, so it's a shame to judge us on one small slip-up!
    @thefunnster - I don't think it is fair to ask a promoter to have to change the format of their night because of a double booking made by the venue. Trying to stick live bands into their night so both bookings could run was never going to work.

I am a big fan of The Silver Bullet and Black Plastic was the best night you had, so it is a shame you didn't honour their booking. Agreed it is only one mistake, but to a club that runs only 4 times a year (I think), having one of their nights cancelled is a very big deal.
    So the Noble has been sold? Anyone know much about the new owners? I like The Noble, it's a credit to the area. Had many a good meal in there. Hope it doesn't go all shit.
  • AliAli
    Here is my take on some of the history of the pubs around here. Danzie bar was the Stapleton Hall Tavern. The original Stapleton didn’t seem to be able to compete with the rest as it was dump. It was quite a famous north London gig place but I can’t believe that U2 played there although in 1979 they did play the Hope and Anchor, electric Ballroom and Dingwalls which are not to far away. The Beatles first London gig was in SGR in 1963 Danzie Bar spent a lot of money in the kitchen which was then exploited when the Larrick came along and sort of copied All Bar One although the guy who developed the Larrick concept that had investment from the guy who started the Slug and Lettuce down in Upper Street. Remember on a Sunday when a group of people could have a whole roast chicken delivered to the table and Carved with dished of veg etc. Krappy use to wax lyrical in those days. I think the idea was get a concept working then sell on the national chain for a roll out The Nobel used to be a shop then it became an early Weatherspoons pub called Marlers Bar in the days there was less than ten of them all around here or up in Muswell Hill. It was packed all the time squeezing room only ! WLM was the first “big “ Weatherspoons and was car showroom before that. It even featured in the style section of the Sunday Times with a photo of the big old round table under the atrium used to find Adrian Dunbar and Neil Morissey in there all the time. It was when it opened on the 1st December 1986 the future of pubs to be !
  • IanIan
    @domnextmen it has been bought by the freeholders who also own the Highbury Barn. The staff are going to be kept on so I'm not expecting much will change. Will miss the old owner though - really good guy.
    @ Ali - it's fewer than ten
    funnster - Of course your current promoters like you, they've not had their nights gazumped! (Yet)

One slip-up would have been if you'd booked the new night over the top of Black Plastic, realised the mistake, and regretfully informed the new promotion that they'd have to skip a week. Now I no longer work in club listings, I wouldn't even have heard about one slip-up. I could at this stage be uncharitable and say that given that, maybe the one slip-up stage happens quite often.
    But you didn't. You failed to honour the first booking. Second slip-up. And then failed to even notify the promoters of that in person. I count three 'slip-ups', or one really ugly compound one.
    @JaneDoe @ADGS The "double-booking" was actually a conscious (and extremely difficult) decision we made to bring our Friday nights in-house, in order to maintain the quality & consistency of bands & DJs.

We immediately identified that there was a clash with the pre-booked September Black Plastic night. We were deciding on how best to manage this (e.g. offering Black Plastic a new night on a Saturday, trying to integrate the 2 nights, etc.) before approaching them with options.

Our mistake was to not inform the Black Plastic promoters of the situation at the earliest possible occasion to try and resolve things, which is why they spotted the listings.

@JaneDoe We completely agree that Black Plastic is/was one of our best nights and it was very unfortunate that we weren't able to alter the date or integrate the two nights. We are still chatting to the girls to remedy things and hope to move forward positively.
    So what's the dealio with the Noble? When I walked past on Saturday the chalkboard outside said something about a goodbye party.
  • Was in there tonight. No change. At all. That I could see.
  • Ah, I was wondering what had happened to the Black Plastic nights - the two or three I'd seen listed had all been on nights I'd been busy.

Hope everyone's able to come to an agreement. I enjoyed the nights at Bardens and would love to see it set up so close to home in a good venue.

(Oh, and I've been on the end of similar booking mishaps in the past. They are painful and frustrating, but life is too short to dwell on these things.)