World cafe (ex Chapter One)

edited May 2013 in Local discussion
One of the best bars eva is back but as international restaurant. I am not here today (gig dalston) but please let me know all the SP on this joint ASAP . It could be what we've been waiting for. Chang

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Although i haven't eaten here (and as such maybe being unfair), the concept for me is completely wrong. Also, the launch looks completely amateur with hand-written special offers on A4 bits of copier paper in the window. You get one chance to make an impression, and the owners jumped the gun to get off the ground.<div><br></div><div>The buffet is £8.95 which i think is expensive for the market its looking to take (volume cheap eats). More importantly, the concept stands for nothing. Massive space, no atmosphere, PVC leather booths, metal troughs full of food that can already be purchased on the same street, no warmth. Looking at what does well on SGR, this is completely at odds with it. </div><div><br></div><div>It appears to me that most people open restaurants here based on what THEY want to do, not what CUSTOMERS want to eat. A little bit of research and they'd be flying, the area is on the cusp of being a foodie hot spot but we keep getting false starts.</div><div><br></div><div>I wish this guy all the best, and out of curiosity i will have a look in. Lets hope i'm wrong.</div>
  • Nothing wrong with PVC seats but I agree it ain't gonna give Season's any sleepless nights. Mind you, chapter one started badly and became a triumph in a few months. Chang
  • I'm wondering at how much of a loss they're making each day, if they're having to throw away a lot of uneaten food every day. The buffets of the mid-90s died down as they couldn't make a profit at £5.95 a head, or thereabouts, so £8.95 is more realistic, but they really do need a special offer to get people through the door. (So far I've seen four people leaving, but nobody actually in there). <br><br>@Brodiej - I did have some discussions with a former restaurant on SGR about consulting customers and potential customers about what they want, as opposed to deciding for them, but apparently that was a bit too radical an idea. <br><br>@ChangN4N6 - love the optimism! :)<br>
  • I'm going with Chang's optimism - it <i>could</i> be amazing and surprise us all.<br><br>A tip to any would be Stroud Green restauranteurs who stumble across this though - if you want to do cheap, busy and licence to print money, open a decent Vietnamese restaurant. We've been hankering after one ever since the great temptation of many years back.<br><br><br>
  • <P>I doubt I'll be visiting this place any time soon. The all you can eat thing has never appealed to me. Sort of thing that should be left for breakfasts at inclusives </P> <P> </P> <P>I was in Crouch End last night and paid a visit to Tootoomoo, newish "pan asian" restaurant. Two courses for about £9 before 7pm. Was good quality too. </P>
  • Nearly always deserted anytime I pass it.  Noticed a few customers in it last night.  The Sunday before last they did a trial run with friends and family attending.  Lots of people turning up in big cars, one nearly running me over and scowling at me as I crossed the road.  Judging by the attitude and look of a lot of the people at that function I imagine a group of rich kids who have inherited or just made easy business choices before.  Too much money and bad business sense. 
  • it makes me so sad to see these all these restaurants opening on SG and near vicinity with clearly NO MARKET RESEARCH done whatsover! I highly doubt it will succeed, unless they have some cut rate deal on rent, etc. That said, I would love to be proven wrong!
  • edited May 2013
    @ Misscara.  Neither.  Just a bunch of rich kids who thought opening a tacky fusion buffet would be a done deal.  As other's have said, people need to put their ear to the ground a bit more.  Saying that, the market for restaurants is  over saturated on SGR. I agree with Papa L, a good Vietnamese restaurant would be most welcome.
  • 'Judging by the cars I'm imagining an old school north London gangster dynasty.'<br><br>Better watch what we say then.<br><br>It could be an Apprentice task?<br><br>If I had the inclination and entrepreneurial spirit I would go down to Shoreditch, poach a Vietnamese chef and open a place on Stroud Green Road, on a risk reward basis I suspect that would stack up pretty well.<br>
  • They now have a special introductory offer of £7.95 per head. <br>
  • edited May 2013
    They weren't kids, they were in their  50s and the cars were mercedes.  I'm not a car man so I'm unsure if these are tacky or not.  I used rich kids because there are many families in the restaurant business who have a lot of capital and sometimes family who aren't the original money generators use the money in less shrewd ways.  The guys who run the place don't look like hipsters by any stretch of the imagination.  I don't think they'd be able to fit into skinny jeans.
  • I wish the place a successful start but I worry if they are cooking loads of stuff (various foreign grub) and there are no punters it will sit there and get sticky and not be appetising when kept . Then it's less attractive and the whole thing goes downhill. I might go down and check it out tonight. Chang.
  • So the rich kids in tacky cars were actually businessmen in Mercedes?<div><br></div><div>And thus another round of Stroud Green chinese whispers begins.</div>
  • "a group of rich kids who have inherited"<br>"They weren't kids, they were in their  50s"<br><br>Brilliant. Is kreuzkav actually several people posting as one?<br>
  • There were some rich kids gone wrong in the old Chapter One. Chang
  • When did you start expecting coherence, consistency or credibility from Kreuzkav?
  • I wish you buggers would lay off poor Kreuzkav. He may be a bit of a pain at times (aren't we all?), but one senses that he is also quite vulnerable.
  • I agree with @checkski for the second time in a year. I don't know what to do with myself.<div><br></div><div>Doesn't matter who runs the world cafe, it is a terrible idea and won't be sustainable with the current setup. </div><div>A grab bag buffet of stuff that is 'foreign' is almost the definition of the lowest common denominator. </div><div>The stuff that's done well has been a bit more thoughtful than that.</div>
  • I second checkski on this. <br>
  • Or rather, I third checkski and second andy.<br><br>Back on topic - worse than Yemek?<br>
  • Goodness. Andy agrees with me. He must be getting old. I wonder what the other occasion was.
  • There was definitely another time, C. And I thought we had bonded over that pentatonic scale video.
  • Actually a proper Chinese restaurant without tat (such as the one opposite Toffs in Muswell Hill - recommended) would be good. The takeaways are not good here even. Chang.
  • It seems that no one has plucked up the courage and actually eaten here! If it's still there in six months I may give it a try!