World cafe (ex Chapter One)

Comments

• @Chang only if you pack them in every day. And the evidence seems to suggest this is not happening. 
  • MHPMHP
    edited June 2013
    Went there today for dinner with a friend as we felt sorry for the owners.. It's quite misleading as there was only Indian and Chinese on offer. I'd say 6 out of 10- and I'm being very generous! We were also told where to sit, even though we were the only two customers there! No atmosphere and just depressing. I give it 3 months- and that's me being generous!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I went on Saturday.  The food was luke warm.  God knows what is incubating in those trays.  Had one fork full, paid and left.
  • It's all change at World Kitchen! Flyers on the pavement (Islington side - Haringey is not worthy), food trays moved to the window AND with trays off. I didn't peek at the food, though, to see how it looks.
  • Still those table cloths from Eastern European conference centre though. And the warm plastic seats. International , I suppose. Chang
  • I noticed some new signs in the window: they're offering takeaway at £5 per box, and there's also a corkage fee for BYOB.
  • My heart sinks. Bring back Chapter One!!! Chang
  • I thought this would be exactly what the Dr ordered for the gentrification phobes amongst the forum. 
  • edited July 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe we need a Bavarian Beer House with proper German food and huge beers. hahahaha.<br><br>I'm kidding, of course. I still want to see a proper bakery with proper sourdough bread and all that. <br>
  • edited July 2013
    "<span style="font-style: normal; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I wouldn't mind gentrification so much. It's generification that I'm against"</span><div style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Top top quality soundbite. I can imagine this appearing in a speech from Clegg, Miliband or even Cameron. Probably Clegg.</span></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><i>"So I say to you, our high streets are important. The hearts of our towns and cities. The places we come together as communities and families. It's right that we invest in these places. But that we invest in ways that create jobs that support the local economy. I'm not against gentrification, but I am against generification. We want our own towns, not clone towns." </i></span></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.796875px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">repeat to fade, "I've asked Mary Portas", "special review", "tiny little renewal fund" etc.</span></div>
  • Bavarian Beer house is a great idea with bockwurst sausages and sauerkraut on the menu, yum! 
  • BBQ place like Pitt Cue/Duke's Brew and Que/Fette Sau would make money hand over fist.<br>
  • Graeme - on another thread there is mention of a Rub slow food & Milk bar coming to Stroud Green - <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/4488/rub-slow-food-milk-bar/p1">http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/4488/rub-slow-food-milk-bar/p1</a> - anyone know anymore? 
  • edited July 2013
    There we go, a Bavarian Beerhouse it is. With me as the hostess. I admit to do a decent Jaegerschnitzel. But I'm not from Bavaria. Nope. Northern girl, I'm afraid.<br><br>I often wear plaits, but never a Dirndl, nobody will get me into such dress. Rather wear the Lederhosen. :-)<br><br>Went to the BB in Old street a few times, it's a hit and miss food wise.<br>
  • R&JR&J
    edited July 2013
    Katzenjammer on borough high street is worth a visit. Their melted cheese with bacon pretzels are worth the trip alone
  • edited July 2013
    I didn't even know there are more. Only went to Old Street years ago. Katzenjammer? Never heard of that either. What's with all the Germans coming over to open German food temples? Ha! Germans, they're everywhere, those buggers.<br>
  • Just looked: Great, another bloody Bavarian restaurant. Doh! You know what? I should organise something very traditional from Bremen. Kohl und Pinkelfahrt (only in the winter), where people meet in groups in the afternoon, go for a long (an hour or two) walk in the cold, pulling a carriage (not sure if it's the right word) filled with booze and a ghetto blaster, doing silly games, until they're arriving pissed at a restaurant to eat, drink more and dance. There! Now that's a little different to a Leberkaes. :-)<br><br><br>
  • World cafe was completely empty last night when the rest of SGR was really lively in the good weather. They should have a sustained push this weekend to get people in, even if they were giving food away gratis.
  • Feel this is doomed. Like Lorne Road. Chang
  • I went to Katzenjammer for a stag do once. I'm vegetarian and I don't like beer, so I was already not having a great time even before the oompah band started playing Coldplay covers about 10 inches from my ear.
  • Sounds like a nightmare. I like beer and I like meat, and very much like Schnitzel, but I really don't like the silly Oktoberfest atmosphere. <br><br>I was there, once, at the original one, and it's like everywhere where people, who can't handle the drink, drink in excess: they start fights, lie in corners, throw up, grope girls/or boys. Not my kind of scene. <br>
  • Yeah, but probably much worse. I wasn't inside, so you may have seen a lot more of all of the above, but in a fest tent in Bavaria, that's drinking on a large scale. A Mass is one litre and they drink it as if it were water. Mind you, I drank two in an hour and was hammered. <br>
  • edited July 2013
    I went to an Oktoberfest while living in Germany and it was amazing. It wasn't in Bavaria, it was a non-touristy tent full of locals.  I saw ordinary Germans letting their hair down, dancing on tables (in a very dignified way).  People were drunk but friendly and I'm so glad I didn't miss it while living there. A lovely friend of mine met her boyfriend while at it.  They're still together. <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Anyone tried Bodo's Schloss?
  • edited July 2013
    The best German beer is Jever. It's very bitter pilsner from the north, none of that watery southern stuff. You drink it from the bottle, preferably in some gloomy place with industrial music playing in the background. Just saying.