World cafe (ex Chapter One)

Comments

• pls can we start a new thread for bavarian beer discussion. this one is for dead-in-the-water buffet restaurants on sgr and is just getting confusing otherwise
  • edited July 2013
    Tomp, maybe that's the way the World Cafe will go.
  • We really don't need German food and culture over here. A) it's stodgy b) remember the war. Anniversary of First World War coming up - unhappy memories for many on here no doubt . A good Chinese restaurant would be great in that slot on SGR. Can someone start one? Chang
  • edited December 2017
  • I don't like Jever, too bitter. I should love Beck's since I'm from 'Beck's town: Bremen', but it's too bitter for me, too. Beck's Gold, however, is great. A lot milder. <br><br><br>
  • Haha. Chang. Haven't read such a cliched post in a long while. :-)<br><br>Re World-Cafe: not been in there, and don't plan to. Mind you, after 1.5 years of living with the Front Room in spitting distance I went for a coffee recently. And only because I know the chef and had to give him something I'd found.<br>
  • @ Stella.  Even while living there I drank Czech beer.  Lots of Germans raved on about Jever, but it never did my taste buds justice.<div><br></div><div>Chang, I think German and English food share much in common as both are Northern European countries.  I think we have a lot in common but the differences are also interesting. A good Chinese restaurant in that spot wouldn't be a bad thing.</div>
  • France, Denmark and Norway are also Northern European countries, don't think you can throw every country's culture into the same pan! I think that British cooking is quite different to German.
  • edited July 2013
    I would agree with that. I'd even go as far as saying that they don't have much in common. <br>German cooking is a mix of many influences: Italien, Hungarian (Gulasch), and whatever else. Many similarities with the Polish kitchen.<br>The only thing I sort of see in common is Braten (roast) which, like the traditional Sunday roast, is normally eaten on Sundays.<br>Germans eat a lot more stews: pea, lentil, carrot, swede, vegetable, beans, broths, etc. They eat Sauerkraut, which is pickled white cabbage with cumin cooked with Kassler (which is cured/smoked pork neck, not available here) and potatoes. They have open sandwiches and normally have a huge breakfast with rolls (like the ones in Lidl, but with far more variety), musli, fruit/juice, marmalade, several things to put on the buns (far more variety than here). They normally eat warm lunch and just open sandwiches in the evenings. Although it depends on the preferences. <br>They eat Bratwurst in all variations, Currywurst and fries with ketchup and mayo, never with vinegar. Some with mustard. They don't eat Fish & Chips, but Fish with potatoes and vegetables on Friday. They eat asparagus with ham, potatoes and melted butter or Sc. Hollandaise in Mai.<br>I've never seen a restaurant offering Shepherd's pie, or fish pie. Germans don't eat pies. Desserts are different, too. They don't eat trifles. Mostly it's ice cream with fruit, or pudding, or anything other fancy. I could go on ... I quite like the idea of Eaton Mess, but have never tried it yet. I think I'll love it. I like English food.<br><br>Err, and sorry about the lecture. :-)<br><br>Need to add this: how could I forget Roulades? Thin cut beef/pork layered with bacon and mustard, and inside a gherkin. Cooked until tender, eaten with potatoes, dumplings and vegetables. <br>Another variation is meatball in savoy cabbage, also cooked.<br><br>Or chicken fricassee with rice. Okay, I'll stop now. <br>
  • edited July 2013
    <div>Miss Annie I suggest you read my post again.  I said they shared similarities and weren't all in the same pan. Similarities and the same are very different concepts.  </div><div><br></div>Stella, sorry, as a vegetarian I don't understand meat based meals anymore.  When I lived in Germany it seemed potato, meat and veg.  Very like England, Ireland and other countries in Northern Europe.  I was making a distinction between Northern Europe and Southern Europe and a bigger one with China.  Of course within Northern Europe there are variations.  I thought I stated that.
  • I think that applies to many countries, with many variations. Even in China they do have traditional pork roast.<br>
  • edited July 2013
    So Stella, do you think that Chinese or English food have more in common.  And by English food I'm not considering tandori or KFC, I mean meat based food with potato and veg?<div><br></div><div>To put this in context.  My mother likes what she calls plain food.  Meat, potato and veg.  In Germany she feels content.  She's never been to China but she can't deal with  sauces from there and spices from Indian food. And this is to do with her taste buds only.</div>
  • edited July 2013
    I wouldn't know as I've not been to China either. I only know that they do eat pork roast. I think English food has as much in common with German food as Chinese food (a bit exaggerated). Your mum would probably feel content in Sweden, Finnland, Austria, Italy, Poland or Spain. Anywhere where they serve 'Sunday-roast'-like food. I'm rather much in love with Greek food, for instance. Giros, souvlaki, tzaziki, with tomato rice. Delicious. Not to confuse with the food you get at many Greek places here, from the Turkish side. <br>
  • I loved the Turkish food in Germany. Far better than here. Big Turkish population.  The Indian food was generally not a patch on here.  Small Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi population. I get your point  about it being more like central European food as a large part is Central European  but come on, Chinese or Mediterranean food is different in flavour.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited July 2013
    Oh, yes, it's very different. :-)<br><br>Absolutely agree on the Indian food not living up to the UK Indian food. I love my Indian dishes. <br>As for Turkish food/kebabs: the UK can go packing. Gosh, the pitta breads filled with shavings of meat, and with salad, and with garlic sauce. Man, no comparison. Germany wins, hands down. So do German BBQs. The variety of marinated meats is mind blowing, as are the different salads and sauces.<br>On the other hand, I love the British sausages. Delicious. Pork and leek, or with spices. Just wonderful. It's good to try new things and one day, I'll even make a pie myself, including the pastry. :-)<br>
  • edited July 2013
    I have it! A proper Greek restaurant. That's what we need. My friend, who owns a the 'Athen' in Bremen keeps saying I should get a place and all that, and she'll come over to get me started with the food. She's Greek and, in my opinion, has Bremen's best restaurant. May also be a case of too many Ouzo when we're there. haha. I swear, it's the one thing I really, really miss: her cooking. I was a regular in her restaurant for many, many years. <br><br>So far I've not come across a Greek restaurant that serves giros, souvlaki and tomato rice. If you know a place, please let me know.<br><br>Just googled and will need to try this: http://www.oliveoil-oregano.com/index.php/en/menu<br>;
  • Stella, a Greek restaurant would be good.  I don't even know where the nearest one is.  And Bremen always strikes me as a place to visit as I've met quite a few nice people from there.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kreuzkav: Bremen is a really beautiful city. Not just saying it because I am from there, but because I've seen many German cities. It has a beautiful city centre and with the Weser going through it, reminds me a lot of London. Or the other way round. <br><br><br>Misscara: thanks for the tip. I'll go with my friend some time. The Greek/Cyprus restaurant in Rosebery Ave is quite good, too. The Turkish place across Yum Yum in Stokey has a good reputation. I used to get my lahmacun there. <br>
  • I forgot about Green Lanes. I reckon it has the best authentic Turkish food in London.  And there's also that lovely little tapas bar by Haringay station, and the Salisbury.  
  • edited July 2013
    Stella, I believe you, my lovely friend who I mentioned earlier lives with her boyfriend in Bremen and I can visit, so should take up the offer.
  • Please do. It's rather nice in the summer with restaurants alongside the Weser. Plenty of good places to eat; the Schnoor (historic part) with its quirky cafes and crooked houses, etc. I haven't been for a while, but need to go for a visit, too. Particularly to take a closer look at my friend's 70s/80s road bike as she asked me to 'restore' it. :-)<br>
  • There are any number of brilliant Greek places up the road in Southgate and Enfield. The branches of The Real Greek aren't bad and Lemonia in Primrose Hill is lovely but expensive. Arocaria in Crouch End - the one with the exuberant foliage outside, is sometimes good but a bit hit and miss in my experience. Andy's Greek place is always my first recommendation winner, started going there with my Greek boyfriend of the time in the 80's.
  • Thank you, Annie. I'll check those out. <br>
  • edited July 2013
    Andy's in Bayham Street, Miss Annie? Ahh! That takes me back. I was there when it opened, in about 1970. It was my introduction to Camden Town Greek cuisine - and to retsina. I lived nearby, in Delancey Street. I was there pretty much every week, with a friend, after giving her a music theory lesson. It was cheap in those days, and unknown. Andy himself did the cooking, and his nice Welsh girl friend served, and chatted. She was rather a homely girl, he was more dashing, in a black waistcoat. They both disappeared as the restaurant gradually became more successful. I wonder what happened to them? Years later, I was taken to Limonia. 'Hello Checkski!' said the female boss. She and her family had run the little shop on the corner of Delancey and Albert Streets, back in the 60's - 70's. I was pleased to be remembered. Delancey was a very mixed and thriving community then, and everybody knew each other. Those were the days.
  • They certainly were. Freddie from Queen also lived there. Ps the Greek place in crouch end is really disappointing food for students. Not the real thing IMHO . Chang
  • Someone told me that the stretch of Seven Sister Road opposite the Andover Estate  used to be "the place" for really good Greek food in the area...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @checkski 'after giving her a music theory lesson'. I hope this is not a euphemism to rival 'discussing Uganda'.
  • Lost me there mate. BestGreek grub is opposite Cockfosters tube station. Chang