I know it's been mentioned in previous threads here, but there hasn't really much concern about the loss of Rowan's - one of the places that makes Finsbury Park what it is!
This petition to save it has already reached 1000 signatures - add yours!
1. Rowans is an asset which enhances the vibrancy and vitality of the area and an important social hub.
2. Rowans is a great spirited venue for socialising for a wide ethnic and multicultural mix that will never be replaced.
3. Rowans is a unique feature of Finsbury Park. If it were to close it would leave an irreplaceable void and a lack of alternative avenues for similar activities.
4.It is inconsistent with the Finsbury Park Town Centre Supplementary Planning Document objectives of "Protecting and enhancing the historic character of the area". This document praises the "intact historic fabric" of the area which ripping down Rowans clearly destroys.
5. Rowans is a unique venue with strong links to the community. Since first opening as a cinema in October 1909, the community has benefited from this asset. Its loss would set the area back over a 100 years.
6. Many local residents believe Haringey Council has an obligation to protect the Rowans as an important part of the social fabric of the area. For instance, it is one of the few evening activities that does not require drinking - and alcohol is a now problem in so many areas. Haringey needs to send a clear signal to the local electorate that it cares about the people, and not just the developers.