Changes

Comments

• Bear with me, people.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Also, anyone should be able to register now, using Captcha.  If this leads to a wave of spammers then I will have to consider other options.
  • Can everybody who knows what the poll function is for, please respond to this message with a "Yes, I know what the poll function is for", and everybody who doesn't know what the poll function is for, please respond with a "No, I do not know what the poll function is for". <div><br></div><div>thanks</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • For whatever we fancy using it for. Could be useful, could be fun.
  • no, I do not know what the poll function is for. And yes, it looks really odd when you open the thread.
  • Does he want a referendum to split Stroud green up from Tollington on here?
  • How about this for a poll example<span style="font-size: 10pt;">, - WHICH ONE PROVIDE BEST PIZZA IN AREA?</span><div><div><br></div><div>my poll goes for, wait for it, VENEZIA (okay now defunct but play along)</div><div><br></div><div><br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">AS A LOCAL I NEED SAY THAT ,WE SHOULD APPRECIATE FOR WHAT WE HAVE IN THE AREA .</span><br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">ALSO I NEED TO SAY SOME THING ABOUT MY COMMENT ABOUT VENEZIA(:</span><br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">IT IS NOT ABOUT ADVERTING OR PROMOTING VENZEZIA IN THE WEB SITE </span><br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE IN STROUD GREEN ROAD,</span><br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">AS A FAN OF VENEZIA AND AS A PIZZA LOVER ,I CAN SAY THIS PLACE IS PERFECTLY,DESIGNED TO MAKE ORIGINAL PIZZAS WHICH IS IN 1000 PIZZA PLACES JUST ONE DOING IT,VENEZIA PROVIDE HEALTHY FOOD WHICH IS GOOD FOR OUR PEOPLE IN FINSBURY PARK.</span><br style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">YOU GUYS COME AND TRY THEM ONCE,THEN YOU JUDGE IT YOURSELF.</span></div></div>
  • I suspect the poll function is for creating polls.
  • edited June 2014
    Marquis rather nails it, and Dion gives a fabulous example: we can finally settle the ‘BEST PIZZA’ debate.<br><br>More seriously: there is a whole bunch of additional functionality that can hypothetically be added to the site. Being a democratically-minded type, I’d be inclined to ask people what they thought before implementing stuff.<br><br>What sort of functionality, you ask?<br><br>Avatars for one – over at <a href="http://www.londonreconnections.com/">Londonreconnections </a>(and on many, many forums these days) we use <a href="https://en.gravatar.com/">Gravatar </a>– associate an image with your email address and it will appear next to your name when you post.<br><br>Another one I’ve been thinking about is implementing <a href="http://vanillaforums.org/addon/yaga-application">Yaga </a>– a version of which is nearly ubiquitous on forums now.<br><br>I’ve already worked out how to add Google maps to the front page on the right, but not yet how to make it default to Stroud Green – I figure a map of the world isn’t that useful on its own.<br><br>Bored people might want to browse the <a href="http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/plugins">plugins </a>and make suggestions. Note, though, that it can be hassle to implement them (more for Andy (the Eternal Leader) than for me (the Dear Leader). And as you have seen from the poll plugin they can be twitchy.
  • edited June 2014
    Yaga looks good. It seems to want to give me a badge, I Iike a nice badge. I don't understand it but I'm sure it can't be that difficult to get to grips with. I'd trust your judgement on adding new stuff. Weren't you tempted to go for Glorious Leader?
  • I prefer the North Korean model.
  • Goodbye, Andy. Thanks for providing an arena for fun and usefulness. Good luck, Arkady.
  • edited June 2014
    Threads whose last post is older than 01/01/2011 are closed for discussion. I'm open to thoughts as to whether we scrap that or change it.  They are only closed to discussion because one plonker kept bumping ancient discussions for no reason at all, and said plonker is no longer around.
  • Welcome back Philistine! Well, your monster anyway.
  • To paraphrase Tyrion Lannister, “Where do trolls go?”
  • edited September 2014
    <div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;">more generally speaking, was/is Chang (N4N6 etc) really a Troll? s/he/it is/was lots of things besides that,</span><br></div><div>and although one should never refer to them directly, lest it encourages their nefarious activities, C'N4'6 added something surely? Even though offensive at times. Entering into this brave new five year plan we should be wary about what & whom to purge. I really don't think troll twuntery was the main factor in SG.org going a bit off the boil…yes/no?</div>
  • @Perflexed Yes. Wonder if that's the Barry I have also met, if so I will call him on his arsiness next time I see him.
  • <p>I agree with Perflexed. Chang's views may have been controversial and his style sometimes crude and/or offensive, but he was never a troll. In fact I found many of his posts rather entertaining and his sense of humour relatively good. I would find it very sad if users of this site found themselves having to conform to some kind of site-host stated consensus view, even if your (Arkady's) dictatorial approach is presented in a humourous manner.</p><p>I know that in the past he has had some rather agitated ad personam online boxing matches with some of the most regular users of this forum, but I would think that typically that style was picked up by both sides. I remember a thread where you, Arkady, posted a link to the staff list of a Hornsey Road vet practice, suggesting that you were going to 'pay him a visit'. Is that within your ethical standards?</p><p>Anyway, just some measly two pence. There's even sadder things in this world.</p>
This discussion has been closed.