The White Lion

167891012»

Comments

• I have had many brunches at many establishments in London, from the greasiest greasy spoons to the fairly high-end, and only two of them even held a candle to the Spoons brunch. Yeah, not everything else is of quite the same quality - but in every case I've had the same thing done far worse in other places that charge twice as much.
  • <p>The pint of Wandle  was going down really well on Friday and Saturday night, it seemed to be about £4 which is 50p more than  the IPA at the Stapleton.</p><p><a href="http://www.sambrooksbrewery.co.uk/our-beers">http://www.sambrooksbrewery.co.uk/our-beers</a></p><p>Interesting that Urban pubs haven't done very much to Weatherspoon toilets.</p><p>It will be interesting to see how that goes as I am sure there  were lots of blockages and always a summer smell !</p><p>Not sure I would pay the food prices to dine next to that !</p><p>After about 10pm it seems that's the back part can be taken over by non diners.</p><p><br></p><p>I was really surprised to be able to get 8 seats all together on a FRoday night at 9pm without bother.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>
  • Popped in around 8 last night but my drinking companion didn't like the DJ loud music. Is it every night and what time does it start up?
  • <p>The bar person couldn't hear what I was saying  on Saturday evening so I ask her to turn the music down.</p><p>It is far to loud  for the space </p>
  • I should have said 'would have popped in' because we didn't, we popped right out again and hauled in at the Stapleton instead. I have no fixed views about music but Sunday nights in the pub should be about conversation and a pint, not the end of the pier or Butlins.
  • By Friday night the old style male drunk were back in full swing. We had to leave at 11
  • One of the former regulars was in conversation with an employee as I passed earlier - there was some dispute over how close to the door he could stand while drinking his can. Here's hoping that chap and those like him keep lowering the tone sufficiently to tank the whole horrible establishment. 
  • Yeah damn these small business employing people and contributing to the economy.
  • Further to my 'what - music?' post earlier I am in the WL right now, and while I expected a musical accompaniment, indeed welcome it, the current sounds are like nothing I have ever heard in a mainstream pub before - ever. Ten minutes of unrestrained guttural monoclitic dustbin electro-bass guitar in a deeply uncompromising entirely one-dimensional wall of sound, like being stuck inside a cheese grater, with no musical merit whatsoever and played unnecessarily loud (some music does benefit from being belted out, but not this). This makes me wonder which bar staff with weird/idiosyncratic tastes are foisting their personal musical preferences on us, and if it is going to work. Rather empty in here. Bar staff don't know what's playing, it's on a device 'upstairs', so it's a corporate choice. Edit: it's stopped. Much better now. Phew. Must get out more.
  • Krappy, by my reckoning that's three times you've been in there since it opened, and complained about the music each time. Perhaps it's just not the place for you?
  • Quite right.  Going to stay in.
  • Urban Pubs is only a small business if you compare it to the likes of Google (or indeed, Spoons). It's a chain, and a fairly shit chain at that. 
  • <p>Apart form the music volume and type it is a massive improvement on the pub it replaced.</p><p>I also saw some regulars from the WLM days on Friday and one on Saturday who was completely legless at 7pm.  Not sure how long he would have lasted until he was thrown out.</p><p><br></p><p>What is the Nick Nick like these days?</p>
  • White Lion now very pleasant indeed.
  • Agreed. I went in again at the end of last week and the music was good and at the right level, the barman knew what he was doing and the neck oil was spot on!
  • edited March 2016
    Hi everyone, good to hear both positive and constructive comments. We are still finding our way and hope that over the next few weeks you find our new pub to be welcoming and a positive addition to the area. I would just like to let you know that for the next two weeks we are offering a 33% discount on our food for all advanced bookings in our dining room from Monday to Friday. Bookings can be made via contact@whitelionn4.com or on 02075618880 Kind regards Harry General Manager The White Lion
  • Had a pint in the new White Lion on Saturday night. I liked it, nice atmosphere, decent decor, sat in a comfy booth, didn't notice music being loud (and there was only two of us sat chatting).<div><br><div>The beer was good but definitely expensive and I am still to test the slices of sausage roll, which are no longer quoted at £2 per inch but do look like about an inch's worth for £2</div></div><div><br></div><div>Setting aside my concerns over where the Wetherspoons drinkers will be squeezed out to, I think it's a good addition to Stroud Green Road.</div>
  • I can vouch for the quality of the Sunday roast, though at £16 it's rather pricey.