Pappagone or Porchetta

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Pah. I was gonna add the ultimate Pizza Poll Face-off here but our vote/Polling extension is buggered. I'll go off and fix it...
  • edited 2:57AM
    hurry up.

am dying to vote
    Poll thing still not working. To the question "Porchetta or Pappagone?" I appear to have voted "yes" Which I know is of a higher standard than most of my arguments, but I think I could do better.
    I clicked a "vote" button, but there weren't any options for me to select and now it says that I have voted. Hmpf.
    I've fixed it and kicked started the voting...
    I can't believe la Porc is winning. Kill the pig..cut his throat...bash him in. (To paraphrase William Golding.)
  • LizLiz
    edited 2:57AM
    Not any more!
    hmmm. cheap chedder and undercooked eggs seem to be loved by you guys. To be honest I've gone off both, I think they've both dropped the ball somewhat.
    Pappagone is splendid. We celebrated there after I moved in to Stroud Green and have enjoyed some lovely nattery meals there since.
    Popped into Porchetta on Friday night to grab a take-away ... the manager was in a tie gleefully greeting customers with a new-found gusto ... he charged me £1 less than the listed price and gave me a free drink of coke while I waited.

Is this the rebirth of Porchetta ... ? Now it just needs a lick of paint and some ambience ...
    Ooh - I hope so. Fed up of the lukewarm reception from Pizza P.
    Luke warm reception? You have to be kidding me. If not, come with us next time and I'll show you how to do it
    I used to get a kiss on both cheeks from both Marcos.

I put it down to trying to reason with them about their noise levels when we moved here. Two years on, they're still smarting.
    Sorry. still don't rate Papagone. Porchetta or better still slightly further a field who deliver...
    Mmmm, for delivery there's only two players surely. Firezza or Lupa?
    Firezza. Never tried Lupa, are they good?
    It's wierd. Must be something to do with the churn of staff in pizza places, but right now Firezza is serving up some bloody great pizza's. About two months ago they'd become quite shoddy. Peaks and troughs.
  • edited March 2008
    Lupa's nice but expensive - unless you order before 6pm for pick up only - then their pizzas are a fiver.
  • edited March 2008
    There's quite a nice looking, Papaggone sized pizza place down Blackstock Road, what's that called, anyone been?
    Il Bacio?
    Sounds familiar, any good? I keep meaning to go out for dinner down there, looks like there could be a couple of little family run gems but never get round to it.
    There is another Il Bacio in Stoke Newington, think that was the first one and its really good, very happy staff! havent been to the one on Blackstock though
    Il Bacio is ok, roughly the same standard as Porchetta and Pappgone for pizza, not worth going out of your way for I'd say. Their non-pizza dishes may be slightly better, but there's not much in it.
    I vaguely remember cycling past a few other cuisine's along that stretch, Vietnamese comes to mind, anyone been to anything down there that's worth checking out, just for changes sake?
    The Vietnamese, Au Lac, is pretty good. It's up the hill on the way to Highbury Barn. The Turkish place at the Barn, Iznik, is excellent. MUCH better than Petek. The Italian on the way to the Barn, San Daniele del Friuli, is also good. The Arsenal team can sometimes be found eating there after a mid-week match, if they've won. True fact.
  • AliAli
    edited 2:57AM
    Van Luc is pretty good also apparently Melvyn Bragg and Nick Hornby eat at the San Danielle Del Fruli at the top of Highbury Hill before every home match day. Also thought Pagapone is not particullary noisey since thye had a council serve a noise abatemnet on them a few years ago as people across the road were getting disturbed. This is why the front opening doors are never open in the summer which is shame
    San Daniele del Friuli is generally worth a visit on non-match days.
    San Daniele has been vaguely on my radar for ages, but I've never quite got round to trekking over.
    Au Lac is great. They deliver to SG but the pancakes are never as good as when you're in there.
    La Porchetta everytime for me!